Author Topic: January 2018 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 4724 times)

sworddude

Re: January 2018 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 08:25:26 pm »
Frankly, I can't believe people still go out game hunting and find something second hand at all. I stopped doing that about 3 years or more ago. It's all retail, gaming cons, or occasional eBay now for me. But I have a really good local store with a massive selection, so it don't really miss the hunt. I've become accustom to the high prices now, don't even care anymore.

If deals really dried out you could question why retrogame stores still exist, just saying live isn't free not to mention that allot of retrogame stores have enough cash for employees and rent for the store every month. You can't live from only trade ins it has to be way cheaper than that to keep the lights on.

as far as fleamarkets etc go. Maybe stuff isn't dried up but just the simple fact that more people are hunting and picking stuff up. In the past no one hunted for certain things however if there are multiple people even 2 to 4 people looking for the same stuff on a fleamarket the good things are gone. In the past maybe some people were the only ones looking for stuff on a flea market. Stuff is not plentifull there is just a certain amount.

thrift stores, maybe only a few people looked every week through games etc yet I'm pretty sure at least dozen of people pick through certain thrifstores daily. Not even resellers but people who do it for fun wich they did not in the past thanks to the retrogame hype or that some stuff have value.

You just need one or two people to buy everthing up if the prices are low, in the past the competition was pretty minimal only for the few people that actually cared about the hobby wich were pretty rare back than.

There's no question why this store exists, to me. Firstly, it's primarily a computer store and secondly, his massive selection came from multiple buyouts of hard to get to treasure troves that existed in the area - closed down video/rental businesses, and stock piles kept away in storage at old pawn shops. He paid big for all of that stuff, but reselling each game for an individual eBay price should net him a hefty profit. Also people still bring him old consoles and games hand over fist through the door. It's been established in the area that you will get money for bring that stuff there. So no one brings it out to a market or yard sale, or donates it anymore.

I've been at flea markets at sun rise many years ago, and would find every other seller had old games. I've tried the same experiment several times in recent years too, and every time, not a single vendor selling games. It's finished with here.

True however competition is the main thing in your example an individual who makes a living out of it and let people bring deals to him and advertises greatly preventing them from listing it on the black market. In the past games had way less value and interest. The 2 to 4 people like that store owner would have not existed. He doesn't care about the hobby he just needs to earn money.

still though buyouts and storage units can have hefty profits also in quantity, while most could not spend 1 or 2K it might be just worth 10K market value etc. I don't believe the guy buys it all for 50 to 75% of the value maybe some desirable stuff to keep good stock. at least not all sought after stuff all the time. Such guys are pros they will also find bargain deals or the deals with way higher profit margins that are actually worth it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:37:29 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 08:32:38 pm »
Frankly, I can't believe people still go out game hunting and find something second hand at all. I stopped doing that about 3 years or more ago. It's all retail, gaming cons, or occasional eBay now for me. But I have a really good local store with a massive selection, so it don't really miss the hunt. I've become accustom to the high prices now, don't even care anymore.

I still hunt, but where I hunt has dramatically changed; between 2009 and 2013 most of my spots were thrift stores, garage sales, and my local flea market. Maybe 10% of my game purchases during this time were from ebay and game stores. It has been the opposite since then. If I'm feeling motivated I'll go into a thrift store, but either find nothing, something okay, or something awesome that the store staff or some reseller have priced above ebay. I barely waste my time with those places anymore and instead find most of my good deals at places I know carry games and get a high volume of games in like retro game stores, second hand media stores like Go Hastings or Half Priced Books, and look diligently for them to slip on their prices. I find stuff fairly often this way and it has been the main thing that has kept me on the hunt. Otherwise I just buy off ebay or pay retail at game stores like you. I occasionally see someone score huge, but knowing how dry it is now makes it hard to get motivated to scour thrift stores for the very rare chance I may find something special.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 09:57:03 pm »
Just got a small little batch to start my year off:

Game Boy:
Mulan
Star Trek: The Next Generation

Game Boy Color:
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Game Boy Advance:
Dynasty Warriors Advance

Nintendo 64:
Yoshi's Story (JPN) - CIB

360:
Heroes Over Europe
World Series of Poker 2008

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 11:12:10 pm »

This fabulous Tingle game finally arrived!

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 11:15:26 pm »

This fabulous Tingle game finally arrived!
i almost bought this the other day, but I need the english version me thinks.

soera

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 11:37:03 pm »
I too have given up on "the hunt". Personally Im among the few that will say that I prefer the reward instead of the journey. Going out looking at stores for days to find deals bores TF out of me. I would rather just hop online, look for what I want at the price I want, buy it and be done.

I will also agree on the internet killing more than just game hunting. Back in the late 90s, I used to be into hot wheels big time. Going out early as hell in the morning to hit the local stores when they stock the cases just so that I can resell the cars at the flea market on the weekends. Now, there really isnt even much of a flea market in my area at all. 1 of 3 still exist and the 1 that does isnt the crowd it used to be.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 07:07:34 am »
I still like to hunt, i have the chance to live in a pretty small rural area, most people there still don't really trust selling and buying stuff online, and most of the shops that would buy retro stuff (PS2 and before) have closed (the most closest shop that still buy them is in the center of a city at 1 hour and half of driving) so there are a lot of flea market in my area where i can find games (almost one each weekend between March/April to November).

The only thing Internet hurt for me are the prices, it is not unusual to see someone trying to sell a few loose N64 cartridges with teared-off label for 40 to 60 bucks each...  ::) but i still found some pretty good prices, it is true that it is more rarer for console games but since i'm also a big fan of old PC games (especially in big box) i almost never come home empty handed, the "good" thing about PC games is that there are absolutely no shops to sell them here (no even one shop accept Computer games anymore) so i still find a lot of them in the flea markets at a very small price.

So here is what i found during the week plus what i found at the end of the holiday sales:

PS2
NBA Street

PS3
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3
Tales of Graces f - Day One Edition
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Collector's Edition (found it on sale for 6.99, i will never play it, i'm not a big fan of MMO but i wanted to add a FF14 in my collection and the artbook that was inside is way worth that price and the small OST was still pleasant to listen).

PS4
2Dark - Limited Edition

Switch
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Collector's Edition (i plan to buy the Switch during the year and i didn't want to buy a game for it before then but when i seen that box on sale for 74.99€ i jumped on it, i love that series 8))

And i also got an Hori Wireless Fighting Commander that was on sale for only 10 bucks, i can finally play with the SNES classic comfortably from my couch.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:16:56 am by metshael »

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 12:43:13 pm »
Finds for the past 2 weeks:
Muppets Tiger LCD 1.99$
Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone PS1 cib 1.04$
Extreme Go Kart Racing PS1 loose 1.04$
Rally Cross PS1 loose 1.04$
Cat in the Hat PS1 cib 1.04$
Spec Ops Ranger Elite PS1 cib 1.04$
Madden 2005 PS2 cib 1.5$
Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex PS2 1.5$
Crash Twinsanity PS2 cib 1.5$
Supercar Street Challenge PS2 cib 1.5$
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 greatest hits cib 1.5$
Airborne Troops Countdown to D-day Sealed 1.99$
Hitman Blood Money PS2 cib 1$
Smugglers Run PS2 cib 1$
Enter the Matrix PS2 cib 1$
WWE Smackdown Shut Your Mouth PS2 1.99$
Burnout 3 PS2 cib 1.99$
Rockband PS2 cib 1$
Rainbow Six 3 Companion Demo Disc Xbox cib 1$Jeopardy DS cib 1$
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 GCN sealed 1.99$
My Fun Facts Coach DS 1$
Fifa Street Xbox 360 cib 2.99$
Guitar Hero 5 Xbox 360 cib 1.5$
Guitar Hero 5 Xbox 360 loose 1.5$
Metro Last Light Xbox 360 cib 1.99$
NBA 2k11 Xbox 360 1$

tripredacus

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 12:30:30 pm »
Off to a slow start.

Toys R Us sells the Sonic Boom Emoji plus that you may have seen in that video previously tweeted out by the Sonic account. If not, this is it:
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/936294351197442049

Also included the Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival for Wii U that I put in my TRU thread.
X-Files Unrestricted Access and David Macauley's Pinball Science, two PC "edutainment" of sorts
Burger King DDR enhanced audio CD. Seems to be quite uncommon but when it does sell it doesn't go for a lot of money. None on ebay currently, one in sold listings where two sold for just a couple of bucks.

I added all of the Sonic Boom Emoji plush to the DB. I think there is only 6 of them that Tomy sells, but if there is more you can add them.

Warmsignal

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 12:34:23 pm »
Caught my local store slipping on some PS1 titles that have gone up significantly in the past year. Silent Bomber alone is now one of the most expensive games for the console.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:36:48 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 02:15:55 pm »
I've found a few interesting sales today:

PS2

Grand Theft Auto III (1€) (the second french release with a different front cover but with the same barcode than the first release, i understand now why someone contacted me a few months ago to tell me that i've uploaded the wrong front cover in the database... :P)

PS3

The Disgaea: Triple Play Collection (9.99€)

3DS

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (2€)

PC

Andretti Racing (0.50€)
Mafia III (5€)
SnowCross (0.50€)

I also got four Animal Crossing Amiibo (at 1€ each): Isabelle (Summer outfit), Kicks, Blathers and Timmy & Tommy, the Mafia III Official Guide (0.99€) and i found on Facebook an offer for a Dreamcast controller with a visual memory and an Action Replay CDX for 2€.

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 08:09:37 am »
After taking a break for most of 2017, I randomly decided to hit up an estate auction over the weekend, based on some online photos.  I got the following two bundles for $45 each.

Bundle 1:
Super Nintendo w two controllers
Nintendo 64 w two controllers
Two rumble paks
Starfox 64
The World is Not Enough
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Paperboy 2
Super Scope 6 (cart and light sensor)

Bundle 2:
Mario 64 DS
(The rest are CIB for 3DS)
Yoshi’s New Island
Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Mario Kart 7
Mario Golf: World Tour
New Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario 3D Land
And like 12 random concert DVDs

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 09:21:14 am »
https://imgur.com/gallery/JbzcS

I bought a controller from Goodwill and sorta documented it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:16:03 am by ignition365 »

tripredacus

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 09:42:57 am »
https://imgur.com/a/JbzcS

Looks like you need to come up with a tutorial about how to paint the back and then remove the paint so that the XBox logo looks like that!

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 10:15:23 am »
https://imgur.com/gallery/JbzcS

Looks like you need to come up with a tutorial about how to paint the back and then remove the paint so that the XBox logo looks like that!
I really like how it looks with the white logo.