Author Topic: 2018 Games You Are Excited For  (Read 3119 times)

2018 Games You Are Excited For
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:29:18 pm »
It's a year of newness, so what are you looking forward to playing this year?

Right off the bat, Monster Hunter World is coming up at the end of the month and I'm pretty excited for it as a Hunter noob, being that I was always interested in the series, but never jumped into it for a number of reasons.  I play the beta and it's pretty nuts, so it should be fun.

Also this month unfortunately is Dragon Ball FighterZ, releasing the same day as Monster Hunter World, so it might have to wait.  I'm not the biggest fighting game fan, but this is one of the best looking Dragon Ball games I've ever seen, plush it's gonna have a killer soundtrack.

Metro Exodus is way up on my list as I'm big fan of post apocalyptic settings and in particular I really loved the last two games.  Top quality atmosphere.

Valykria Chronicles 4 was a welcomed surprise for me, as I've been wanting another game since they released the first one on PC.  And that Revolution spinoff didn't interest me at all.

Code Vein I'm hoping turns out good as it basically seems like anime Dark Souls and I'm totally cool with that.

Attack on Titan 2 is how you make a musou game really interesting and unique and I really enjoyed the first one.  Of course it does get repetitive, hard not to, but I loved using the 3D maneuver gear and they look to be really improving the sequel.

For the rest, it's quite a variety of stuff I'm either interested in, but not like super excited for, or I'm waiting to hear more on the game itself and how it may turn out...Like I was excited for the possibility of Anthem, but then EA fucked up Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Need for Speed with lootboxes and I don't even know anymore.  I gotta be worried for the next Battlefield game now! Dammit EA!

Anthem
Extinction
Far Cry 5
Darksiders 3
God of War
The Last of Us Part 2
Mega Man 11
Metal Gear Survive
Red Dead Redemption 2

telly

Re: 2018 Games You Are Excited For
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:43:03 pm »
Three words.

Ace. Combat. 7. :D
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

soera

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 04:51:26 pm »
Ni no kuni 2
Dragon quest xi
Darksiders 3
DQ builders 2
Biomutant
FF vii remake
Gal*Gun 2
Granblue Fantasy project RE:Link (hoping this game gets a localization)
Lost Sphear
Cosmic star heroine
Monster hunter world
God of War
Guacamelee 2
Bloodstained
Shenmue 3
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:28:47 am by soera »

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 06:49:23 pm »
Borderlands 3.  That's it.  Too many micro transactions and lootboxes to get excited about new games anymore.   

ferraroso

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 08:29:14 pm »
Three words.

Ace. Combat. 7. :D

Same here!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:08:18 pm »
Right now, there's 2 games on the horizon that I'm most interested in:

Dragonball FighterZ - The game just looks so amazing, and I hear nothing but praise from those that've played it. I'll probably suck at it, like I do with most fighting games that aren't SoulCalibur or Smash Bros., but as long as it's fun, that's what matters.

Dynasty Warriors 9 - I'm just a large fan of the Warriors games, to the point where I've gotten 13 100% completions in the series. So I'm doubting that I'll hate this one.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 10:43:57 pm »
Yakuza 6
Far Cry 5

That's it so far.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 11:26:19 pm »
Rec Dead Redemption 2; The walking dead Telltale 4 and overkill, Vampyr, A Way out...

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 12:13:25 am »
Rec Dead Redemption 2; The walking dead Telltale 4 and overkill, Vampyr, A Way out...

I was excited for Red Dead Redemption 2 until Take 2 announced all future games will have micro transactions / lootboxes in them.  What a waste.  I'm boycotting any game that uses those money scamming or pseudo gambling (lootbox) tactics. 

Vampyr looks interesting but I'm waiting to see if it has any of those aforementioned tactics before I consider buying it.  :)

azure

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 12:15:12 am »
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker's Memory
Lost Sphere
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
Dragon Quest XI
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Yakuza 6

Think that's about it at this point in time.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 12:41:59 am »
I am mildly interested in Yakuza 6, because I want to like the series more, but some things were holding me back.  I'm new to the series and I beat Yakuza 0 last year and liked some things about it, but I felt like a lot of the side stuff and story felt drawn out or clunky. 

Playing Yakuza Kiwami now, I think I'm realizing that Yakuza 0 is what it is because it had to stick close to the remake, which was essentially a remade Playstation 2 game.  Yakuza 0 had better production as a new entry, but these two games are almost indistinguishable outside of their timeline really, especially since Yakuza Kiwami has actually throwbacks to stuff done in Yakuza 0, so it's this weird aspect of a game that is a prequel to the original game, but the original game is now new and references the prequel.  It's this amorphous Yakuza blob filled with lots of punching lol

So I'm hoping that with Yakuza 6 being it's own new property, built to be the best installment, taking advantage of all the benefits of a modern game, it'll be a much better experience overall.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 02:17:59 am »
I don't mean to be a turd in the punch bowl, but there aren't any games being released this year, as far as I know, that i'm overly excited about. Shenmue 3 is supposed to come out this year, but I would honestly be shocked if it did; I'm expecting this to come out late 2019 at the earliest. There are games like God of War, Dragonball Fighterz, and Dissidea NT that have me mildly excited, but I doubt I'll be getting any of these until they drop in price quite a bit. But we have a full year ahead of us and who knows what else will be announced and released this year! There just isn't anything at the moment that has my heart racing.

kevininja

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 10:38:15 am »
- Yakuza 6
- Metro: Exodus
- Vampyr
- Red Dead Redemption 2

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 10:48:13 am »
Read Dead Redemption 2 and Spider-Man.  That's all I need.  That'll do all year long

hexen

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 01:35:42 pm »
So far... nothing that's for sure. Feels bad man.

A few Kickstarter things I backed may finish. Bloodstained will hopefully be done this year, but who knows. Psychonauts 2 also has a tentative Q3 window, but that is even more hazy... I pledged full well knowing Tim Schafer has even odds of screwing the pooch. There are other ones that might be good I haven't backed or even know about, it's such a wildcard area willing to take more risks than the mainstream stuff I am increasingly bored with. Underworld Ascendant is something I might be interested in...

I dunno, we'll see how the year goes, it's early.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!