Author Topic: Isn't video game collecting kinda just hoarding?  (Read 3687 times)

Isn't video game collecting kinda just hoarding?
« on: May 11, 2018, 02:44:28 pm »
I initially thought all those 'game room tours' and stuff on YouTube were super cool and inspirational. 

I am a home owner now and my house is super de-cluttered and very much minimalist and now I kinda shudder at looking at 2,000+ physical games.

I like the idea of collecting games but I don't think it's appealing to own any game I come into contact with just because I don't already have it.

I collect games but only the choicey, sought after, much loved, cool stuff. Not every release ever.

Right now my collection consists only of Fallout: Brotherhood Of Steel, Silent Hill 3 and PaRappa the Rapper 2, all on PS2. The former two from a car boot sale and the latter from a goodwill store.

I want every game in the collection to make me feel fuzzy and blow my mind to have it. I don't want a bunch of common games or an excessively large collection.

desocietas

Re: Isn't video game collecting kinda just hoarding?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:25:41 pm »
Ah, I think we all collect for different reasons here. Some folks have very small, carefully curated items in their collection while others have a full floor in their house dedicated to their collection. "Hoarding" depends on the person and the thinking behind why they keep what they keep.

I don't see it as all that different from people buying movies, shoes, hats, etc. I personally would rather look at my wall of games instead of a closet full of "in-season" clothing, but that's me.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 03:34:39 pm »
No. Not in the slightest idea or concept of the word "hoarding". Hoarding is a mental issue. It's far beyond collecting. When people hoard they keep worthess things, and items that are hazardous to their health or their living space. Like keeping old food wrappers. Never throwing away old containers and packaging. Keeping balls of hair. Letting your house fill-up with filth, etc. I've even seen it go so far as keeping jars of their own feces.

A collection is well-kept, displayed, catalogued, and cared for. It doesn't show the same signs of an unhealthy mental condition, nor is it a risk to your health. That is unless you are forsaking bills and responsibilities for it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:36:57 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 03:43:59 pm »
If it is organized it is not hoarding.  If you can't walk into a room it is.

kashell

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 03:55:09 pm »
Nope. Not at all. They are like night and day.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 04:27:48 pm »
Video game collecting can lead to hoarding, but video game collecting isn't hoarding.  You wouldn't say that someone with a library full of books is "hoarding".

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 05:19:15 pm »

Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 05:40:39 pm »
Video game collecting can lead to hoarding, but video game collecting isn't hoarding.  You wouldn't say that someone with a library full of books is "hoarding".
I get that it’s not a direct comparison but some of these collectors do excessive acquisition. And while collecting is distinct in that specific items are being sought out rather than random meaningless objects, the lines surely blur when thousands upon thousands of games are bought with no desire to play or use the item and what amounts to a compulsive purchase that adds clutter to a home. Moreover, these objects take on unusually special significance to the collectors. It’s a source of pride that the collection can never be parted with. In some ways the collecting becomes haphazard - anything and everything is bought just to have it. Strictly speaking it’s just an innocent hobby but isn’t there a sinister undercurrent to whole rooms being taken over by this? I get that a ‘game room’ is a hip thing, but is this not a room filled entirely of clutter with thousands of items the owner has no intention of using but cannot part with?

I know it’s painful to think about.

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 06:10:10 pm »
Right now my collection consists only of Fallout: Brotherhood Of Steel, Silent Hill 3 and PaRappa the Rapper 2, all on PS2. The former two from a car boot sale and the latter from a goodwill store.
... You joined a collector site when you only have three games?

"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 06:28:59 pm »
I get that it’s not a direct comparison but some of these collectors do excessive acquisition. And while collecting is distinct in that specific items are being sought out rather than random meaningless objects, the lines surely blur when thousands upon thousands of games are bought with no desire to play or use the item and what amounts to a compulsive purchase that adds clutter to a home. Moreover, these objects take on unusually special significance to the collectors. It’s a source of pride that the collection can never be parted with. In some ways the collecting becomes haphazard - anything and everything is bought just to have it. Strictly speaking it’s just an innocent hobby but isn’t there a sinister undercurrent to whole rooms being taken over by this? I get that a ‘game room’ is a hip thing, but is this not a room filled entirely of clutter with thousands of items the owner has no intention of using but cannot part with?

I know it’s painful to think about.

The amount doesn't matter.  That's not what hoarding is.  It's whether it is negatively affecting their life.  Is someone essentially living atop piles of game filled boxes, their health and livelihood suffering because of it? That's hoarding.  Is everything kept neat and organized no matter the size and scope of it? That's collecting.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:30:47 pm by kamikazekeeg »

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 07:46:05 pm »
Does it truly matter if more people would think like him it would be quite a benefit to us collectors, the more game deals available to us I'd say if allot of people are good with only 20 - 50 games as a full on game collection   ;D

Still though reading the TS comments I'd suggest He just get an everdrive or even better a pc emulator/ steam downloads since otherwise It's just a compulsive purchase His eyes might burn if he just looks at all that wasted shelf space not to mention the way it would look, How to solve this problem better than no games at all I'd say, plenty of other ways that are more space efficient to play these games,The digital way might be the best way if I might guess his ideal way of collecting  ::)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:33:09 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 08:25:50 pm »
I feel guilty because of what I said in another thread about me and some collectors hoarders. I didn't know what other word to describe some people having 3 or more of the same game or console.

It's personal with me. I just feel it is unfair to others who want a specific console or game that can't have one because they are all sold out because someone else bought them all out. This will I feel may happen in the future. But I got to look at it like this I guess. their is always ROM's and PC as well as newer consoles I guess. I know I will get a lot of flack for this post but I just hope someone else would understand my concern. I collect because I fear if I don't it will pass me up in the long run :-[
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 09:46:14 pm »
Alienstudios lil' infographic sums it up quite well- collecting can become hoarding, but they aren't inherently the same.

For me, the big consideration is useability. Is your collection in boxes, shoved into the corner of a basement, requiring at least an hour of digging & setting up to use? I'm not sure why you keep it & wonder if you're getting ready to cross the line. But dozens of consoles all out, setup, ready to play with the games all just a quick browse away? I don't care how many you have, that's a good collection. It's why I'm so impressed by Joel Hopkins collection- it's not just the biggest in the world, but it's all accessible! If you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjjGblGtiU

You may argue that so many games is unnecessary, but you can see something in that video that solves that problem for me... the kid, playing the games. I may have more games than I can play- but who says I have to be the one doing the playing? I wish I knew more people who were into retro, so I could let more people play these games I love so much.

I think there's a personality factor too- some people may be off-put by large collections, the clutter is unsettling. That's fine, create a space you can relax in. For me- the clutter IS relaxing. it's kind of like a small secondhand bookstore or a little indie comic shop- all full of history and personality and wonderful things to find and explore and surround yourself in like a warm, fuzzy blanket of sentimentality. I find the deconstructed, minimalist thing to be sterile, cold, and unsettling- like I'm in a store display and not a home. Perspective is funny that way.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 11:23:38 pm »
Honestly, I think the comparison is incredibly ignorant.

Hoarding usually implies clinging to absolutely everything- it's not really about having a lot of stuff, rather it's more about one's inability to get rid of anything. The difference between hoarders and collectors is that collectors can coordiante their stuff enough that it doesn't serve as a detriment to their lives.

Seriously, it's absolutely hyperbolic to compare someone having a big nice gameshelf to someone filling their house with crap to the point where it's unlivable.

Also..from what I've seen there's a lot of people who plan on playing most of the games they buy, or at least restrict it to stuff they like.  I think it's pretty silly to say game collecting involves buying EVERYTHING, it's different for everyone. I don't want say, Sonic 06 or the bubsy games or whatever anywhere near my collection and I don't feel intensely compelled to buy them just because they're video games; that'd be stupid. But I'd hunt down the whole Kirby series because it makes me happy and 90% of the series I'd probably come back to. I'm going to come into a lot of games either way, so why not hang onto them and keep them pretty?

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 12:36:46 am »
I've definitely seen that line crossed into hoarding, but I think collecting and hoarding are definitely two different things. I know a few collectors that will buy anything if its a good enough deal and regardless of whether or not they have it already or even really want it. I'd argue those people are hoarding more than collecting, but for most collectors they have specific things in mind that they want and can easily resist the temptation of getting more than what they actually want. I'd say that is normal, healthy collecting.