Author Topic: How Did VGcollect Start Off? How Were Things When This Site Was Newer?  (Read 3870 times)

These are some questions.

Correct me if I am wrong but was this site started by Admin @Matt in (January 21, 2011)?  How did this site get it's name? and when did it take off? Did this site used to be more popular in 2013? Like it says when you log into your account the bottom of the forum home it says Most Online Ever: 482 (May 23, 2013, 12:40:58 am)

I personally like this site and everything this place has to offer :) what do you all think of this place? :)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:57:30 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: How Did VGcollect Start Off? How Were Things When This Site Was Newer?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:22:16 am »
I joined VGcollect in 2013 primarily to catalog my collection, but was pleasantly surprised when I found the community here to be hands down the best on the internet regarding video game forums. There has always been minimal trolls, interesting topics, civil discourse, and a lot of support for other members. I've belonged to many video game forums and this one is by far the best. I also love the system for cataloging your collection as well as being able to add and edit existing items. Kudos to the mods here for keeping this site awesome :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:40:30 am »
Great forum, great website to catalog games, for free. Those are the main reasons I joined.

It seemed the forums were a little more active then. And many of us were adding items like crazy to the database to make it all the deepest gaming database online, myself included. But otherwise, it had a pretty similar feel, still.

I do miss the badges, though.

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 12:01:19 pm »
I got directed here from Atariage 3 years ago when I was struggling to find a good replacement for my old IGN list. They'd changed their setup to not even allow you to sort by system or alphabetically- just by 'date added'. It didn't work for my large collection at all. Anything else I'd tried either didn't support my full collection, had terrible sorting that made it hard to parse my collection, or had a lengthy approval process for adding new items (assuming it was still being moderated at all.)

This site literally gave me everything I was looking for- a diverse database with support for every system I owned, intended to own, even things I'd never heard of. The ability to immediately make new listings for items not in the database (I know some people would prefer moderating new listings, but personally, I hate having to wait to see if/when my titles get added). An active moderation group keeping the database maintained. And, just for fun, a few basic statistics of your overall collection to look at. I remember being stunned at the level of accuracy/detail in the listings when I was entering my NES collection & found listings specifying 3 or 5 screw carts. I didn't even know about that at the time!

Having been here awhile, the only thing I'd really like is, when looking at one's collection breakdown, to be able to click on each category & see what's in it. What accessories do I have listed? What demos? I know I can access that on a system-by-system basis in the sidebar, but a quick overview would be great. Otherwise, I don't think I'd change a thing. I spent years looking for a site just like this, and I'm damn happy I found it.

pizzasafari

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 01:39:18 pm »
I found the site from a Google search around the time I first started collecting, I wanted a fun way to catalogue my collection and show it off to people and it brought me here. I found and tried one or two other sites first but they were crap, this one I really like. I don't really remember what the site was like when I first joined though, it was a while ago now, but people are sharing their joining stories here so hey.

I'm not as active on the forums as I'd like to be though because I'm as social as a soggy tissue, but every now and then I'll see a topic come up in the side bar that takes my fancy and jump in for a chat. At least I used to. Bit oversaturated these days if you follow.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:03:42 pm by pizzasafari »

kashell

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 02:24:47 pm »
A friend of mine from another forum who is sadly no longer with us recommended the site to me. I was mainly in it to support him, but eventually I began enjoying the cataloging aspect. Then, participating in the forums gave me the icing on the cake. There will always be a troll here or there, but this site has a community that is amazing. Comparing this community to other ones on gaming sites is like night and day.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 03:02:04 pm »
I kinda got here since I wanted to start to categorize my collection in 2014 and to be fair this database looks very nice and It's pretty easy to use compared to many other alternatives.

Sure you have sites like retrocollect or gamefaqs but in my opinion the database are pretty bad and doesn't seem to organized messy looking. vgcollect on the other hand seems to be allot better than the other options. Keep in mind that retrocollect is one of the so called better options ::) I'm pretty sure there are some payed options wich might be better but I'm not complaining It's a pretty solid nice looking database the reason why i joined this forum in the first place.

I also like some of the threads so I do make some posts from time to time instead of only using the site as a database.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:33:30 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 01:49:37 am »
Apparently I joined in early 2016, but it feels like I've been here forever.  I used Backloggery for a long time as a way of tracking what I owned but that was not really its intention. Needed to find something more robust and far less cumbersome. Luckily came across this site and been happy with it ever since.  Love all the features, and the community here is awesome. 

ferraroso

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 05:20:33 am »
I don't remember exactly how I arrived here, but if I remember well, I was searching for a way to catalogue my collection and I ended up finding a video by this little known youtuber called Metal Jesus Rocks in which he recommended vgcollect. So, I basically discovered my favorite forum and my favorite youtuber on the very same day.

Flashback2012

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 09:16:06 am »
I came for the romz.  8)

Kidding, I lurked on the site when it was first created and then decided it would be a good place to catalog my stuff. I originally used GameTZ and while still a great site, I found adding new items to be more cumbersome there and less informative overall. Also, I saw how disparate the Interactive Toys section of this site was and kinda just took it over for a while. That got the ball rolling on doing edits for other entries and now I'm in too deep.  :o

Now if I could just find the VGCollect counterpart for comics and movies...

abe

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 09:36:31 am »
Reddit told me to join back in 2011 when I first started collecting. I lurked for a couple years, then started posting pretty regularly, but don't visit much anymore since life keeps me pretty busy.

Dunno about comics, but Libib works pretty well for movies. Their app is great too, and unless you're running an actual library paying for the pro version is unnecessary.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

pizzasafari

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 12:36:24 pm »

Favslist has kind of a lite version of it, not many people use the feature but you can tick all the movies you've seen and all the movies you own separately and they appear in a library page on your profile. You can tick comics you've read & own too but I don't think those appear in your library yet, that might get implemented once the site's got an owner again.

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 01:37:27 am »

Favslist has kind of a lite version of it, not many people use the feature but you can tick all the movies you've seen and all the movies you own separately and they appear in a library page on your profile. You can tick comics you've read & own too but I don't think those appear in your library yet, that might get implemented once the site's got an owner again.

Any suggestions for books? I have a ton of books and since Shelfari was bought out by amazon it has sucked.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 04:33:32 am »

Any suggestions for books? I have a ton of books and since Shelfari was bought out by amazon it has sucked.

Well, this site https://www.catawiki.com/collectors-portal has it all and more. You have to use this link, otherwise you end up at the auction part of the site. But it started as a Dutch site, so alot of Dutch and EU stuff. It has almost no community. You can add your stuff just like VG. It also has a App.

pizzasafari

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 04:58:11 am »

You can do that on favslist too, those do appear in your library. As for formal sites for book collection though I haven't a clue I'm afraid.