Author Topic: Do You Bother To Try To Master Any Game/Games In Your Collection?  (Read 2156 times)

As crazy as this sounds I am playing PONG/ Video Olympics style on PlayStation 2 disc called Atari Anthology. I am trying to master this video game currently on normal difficulty. In fact I never really mastered any video game in my life considering to master any video game takes extreme devotion and interest.  Often times when some of us play online. We find many other people online who are better than us on most any video game.  Have you ever mastered any type of video game in your life? If so, was it on all difficulty levels? or if so did you ever try to aim for all achievements or all unlocks? or have you ever topped the leader board on an online game?

I am also using a PS2 controller not a paddle controler

I have played a number of video games in my life but most of them I never really tried to beat them fully on other difficulties.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:29:29 am by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

tcxs

Re: Do You Bother To Try To Master Any Game/Games In Your Collection?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 11:44:37 am »
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions. 

In my world I became the master of VR Missions because I put in the most hours and dedicated a good year and a half of my younger life to getting the absolute best times on each stage.  Of course this was way before my family had internet so I had nothing to compare to yet.  I can still pick this game up and fly through any stage. 

Now, having access to youtube, I can see that on some stages I was pretty far off from being called a master.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:24:20 pm by tcxs »
Wherever, Whenever, Forever.
(September 9, 1995)

mark1982

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 12:55:01 pm »
Souls Games, that is all...

Actually the learning curve is steep, but once you understand how the game works, anyone can master it  ;)
  l    l 

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 04:55:20 pm »
When I was younger and limited on the amount of games available, I became very good at a handful of them. I could complete many of them in a single life, nothing speed run worthy though.

I just don’t have time for that now. If I really enjoy a game now, I’ll set the difficulty higher to extend the life.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 07:16:37 pm »
No not really

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 08:03:44 pm »
While I wouldn't say that I've mastered anything, I do like to try to go for 100% completion/all achievements in my games that I play. Right now I'm sitting on 106 completions on the Xbox and 7 Platinums on the Playstation, which to me is a nice feather in the cap, especially when you look at how few people earn some of those achievements/trophies.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 09:10:23 am »
I've never deliberately tried becoming amazing at any specific game, but I have become incredibly good at a few at one point or another in my life by virtue of spending so much time playing them.

King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match: My GF and I used to play this game for hours nearly every night and we both got very good at it. I remember going to an anime con and they had this game available in their game area and remember owning every challenger who faced me; I felt like a total bad ass. I don't think I was good enough to compete in a tournament, but I probably could have schooled 95% of all casual players at my peak.

Radiant Silvergun: While I do get rusty if I don't play Radiant Silvergun for more than a few months, I've played it so much over the years due to it being incredibly fun that I am almost able to 1CC it, at least closer than I've ever been able to on any other STG.

Ocarina of Time: I've played and beat this game so much since it first came out I've memorized just about everything in the game. As a result this game is not challenging in the least for me shich kind of sucks, but I still adore it nonetheless.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 10:06:08 am »
Eh, not really- it's rare for a game to grab me enough for me to even want to put in the kind of time needed to gain mastery. Often the games I put the most time into are RPGs... and let's face it, you don't really 'master' an RPG becuase the point is the story & the grind is simple enough. I mean, there's mechanics to get good at, but not really any opportunity for finely honed twitch motor skills to kick in.

I did beat (mostly) all 3 of the Ouendan/Elite Beat Agent games on all difficulties. Technically I have 1 song left on Ouendan 2, but one day I'll sit down & get it done.

I also experienced a brief window as a savant of Columns on Genesis. Had it as a kid, wasn't any good, might get past level 10ish once in awhile. Came back to it in my late teens/early 20s... I don't know how it happened, but I regularly pushed level 70+ for months. There was no lead-up either, it was immediate- and kind of weird to experience, quite frankly. Then I put it away for a bit & lost it- these days I tend to hover in the 20-30 range. Although it's been awhile, maybe I should see if I can do the crazy stuff again.

shfan

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 11:07:10 am »
Nope, I've come to the realization that I game to relax, it's not a social thing, it's not a competitve thing, it's unwinding. Sometimes it's good to have a challenge from a game like Dark Souls, but mastering games is not an interest, plenty of unplayed or unbeaten games to chew through, with the occasional foray into one of my favourites.

mizzach86

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 01:37:17 pm »
I think the closest I've come to mastering a game was when I used to play Ninja Gaiden Black on a regular basis. I beat the game on every difficulty, completed all challenges, unlocked/collected everything...etc. Love that game to death.

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 10:46:41 pm »
When I was younger I did that with a few games on the N64.  Both Zelda games 100% all collectibles and no death runs.  Super Mario 64, all stars and 100 coins in every level.  Starfox 64 got the medals for all sectors.  I also didn't have many games growing up so I had to replay the ones I had a lot.  I got really good at them.

That was also back when I was still in school and didn't have much else to do besides play video games.  It's not such a big thing for me anymore.

kypherion

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 05:00:41 pm »
I did it with the Castlevania DS games as well as Aria of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night. I feel like I've done it with Super Mario 64 after getting relatively low times on 16 star.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 03:55:18 am »
Not so much these days, mainly due to a lot of the requirements for getting a Platinum Trophy on a game involve counts hours of fetch quests or collectables - which I find the most blandest form of padding to any game.

If I really enjoy the game I will seek out the majority of its content though, I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep on PS4 (Which I can't express how good this looks for a PSP game!), I've had so much fun doign the post game content but to get the Platinum Trophy you have to beat all the tough bosses with all 3 characters - these encounters are the same i should add. I jsut kind of feel like I have already done that but to get every little detail in your Report notepad you have to do EVERYTHING, find every treasure chest, gain/buy every skill, it jsut reminds me of the grind to get all the weapons you never wanted in Final Fantasy XIII - A game I do enjoy. I'm jsut done with aimless grinding, hoarding, and fetch quests.

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 12:15:48 pm »
I have done so in the past for some games, but the side effect of that is missing out on a lot of other games. I realised this a few years ago and decided to not do that anymore so that I can get back to the variety I had remembered from when I was younger.

kashell

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 11:30:44 am »
Not so much these days, mainly due to a lot of the requirements for getting a Platinum Trophy on a game involve counts hours of fetch quests or collectables - which I find the most blandest form of padding to any game.

If I really enjoy the game I will seek out the majority of its content though, I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep on PS4 (Which I can't express how good this looks for a PSP game!), I've had so much fun doign the post game content but to get the Platinum Trophy you have to beat all the tough bosses with all 3 characters - these encounters are the same i should add. I jsut kind of feel like I have already done that but to get every little detail in your Report notepad you have to do EVERYTHING, find every treasure chest, gain/buy every skill, it jsut reminds me of the grind to get all the weapons you never wanted in Final Fantasy XIII - A game I do enjoy. I'm jsut done with aimless grinding, hoarding, and fetch quests.

The Treasure Hunter trophy was definitely the most tedious from FFXIII. Everything else about that game was enjoyable. It was fun to max out the Crystarium for all of your characters and end up with a team of unholy bad asses.