Author Topic: Check out my new computer!  (Read 1486 times)

jobocan

Check out my new computer!
« on: August 23, 2012, 06:44:40 pm »
Alright, just a cool little oddity I bought a few months back, and now I just received it. It's a computer that cost me, including shipping and an RCA cable and a case, a whole 50$.

Some of you may know about it, it's called a Raspberry Pi.

So it's a super tiny computer that fits in my hand. It's Linux based, has fairly low specs, and comes with only the board. Yes, that acrylic case was actually optional, it didn't even have a power cable. No hard drive on there either, so you have to install the OS to an SD card (though you can hook up an external hard drive to it). It has 2 USB ports, an ethernet port (sadly no wifi), RCA video, standard audio plug and HDMI. I just received it so I haven't tried it yet, but it should be just a fun little thing to mess around with. I might end up just using it as a media player of sorts, but either way it's just a cool little thing.

Check it out here if you want more info: http://www.raspberrypi.org/

scott

Re: Check out my new computer!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:44 pm »
Oh shit, oh shit.

Mind testing to see if mame can run on that thing? That would be PERFECT for a project I have in the works.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:46:08 pm »
I tried messing around with it, but since I'm a complete Linux newb, I'm sort of struggling with basic stuff like installing programs (seriously, how complicated can it be?)... I do know there's some linux versions of MAME, but I'll get around to trying it out and tell you if this is workable at all eventually, considering it's most definitely not a high-end machine.

scott

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:36:57 pm »
The biggest thing is seeing if it will run Centipede. :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:57:47 am »
Looks kinda' neat, but, you lost me once you started speaking "Tech"
 ???
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 05:36:18 pm »
I was able to play with one for a day, and the FIRST thing I did was see if it would run emulators.  I was able to get NES/SNES working pretty well, with a few sound issues, and mame worked but I didn't try many games.  IIRC, TMNT worked, and metal slug worked, so I can't imagine some of the older ones wouldn't.  I bet it would choke on some of the newer CHD games.  Mine is on backorder :(

scott

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 11:34:39 pm »
Thanks Mkarasch! Thats what I  needed to know. I have 2 projects that would benefit greatly from this little thing.