Author Topic: Nintendo Power Shutting Down  (Read 2003 times)

htimreimer

Nintendo Power Shutting Down
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:20:08 am »
sad sad news yesterday nintendo power shutting down after 24 years: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/source-nintendo-power-magazine-to-cease-publication/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:22:50 am by htimreimer »

desocietas

Re: Nintendo Power Shutting Down
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 02:23:39 pm »
I feel like Nintendo has been doing a terrible job of advertising and engaging the gaming and non-gaming community ever since the Internet was born...  The magazine was awesome when I was a kid, and there was a lot of Nintendo stuff on TV that made the company and its games exciting.

But the Nintendo websites are all pretty terrible and even when we want information about Nintendo products it always seems like a PITA to find (if it's there at all) - usually I just have to find it through a third party.

Even with their successful games, the marketing and info is all poorly done.  DS commercials for non-gaming markets are always just awful, awful.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

theprestige2000

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:52:47 pm »
Very sad about this.  Hit me right in the childhood.  :'(

scott

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:31:52 pm »
Sad news. But I can say that I haven't had a Nintendo Power sub, since the SNES days. Back then that mag was awesome and I used it many time to help with play throughs of some games, thanks to the maps. It was like my gaming bible when I was a kid.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:55:51 pm »
It is pretty sad. On my side I read the magazine during the N64 era and it was really fun. During the Gamecube era the thing became barely readable anymore though, so I can't say I'm sad to see it die in its current form and I personally stopped my subscription a long time ago... but it's more like mourning the history of a great magazine. The old issues are a blast to read though, which is why I recently decided to start picking up old NP mags.

Just check this out:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8501/Nintendo-Power-Issue-1-1988-JulAug

Awesomeness.

jcalder8

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:38:26 pm »
To me it's always sad when a magazine goes under but they just can't keep up with the news today. The reviews are all old by the time they ship and you can find all the tips and tricks easily on the internet.

What I would love to see them do is rerelease the first 10 years.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:31:41 pm »
Eventhough I am still a subscriber (well at least until December), I admit the excitement vanished a few years ago at the sight of a new issue. Not just for me, but my 13 year old son as well. However, the recent issues at least gave me the chance to dig out the old issues and relive my younger days with my son by showing him the actual articles discussed in "Warp Zone" from 10 and 20 years ago.

Good news is the completionist in me can say Ohhh thank God I don't need to get another book case!
"It is said that 80% of quoted statistics are made up by the one quoting the statistic."