Author Topic: Links to Profiles Taking 2 Seperate Clicks to Work  (Read 1038 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Links to Profiles Taking 2 Seperate Clicks to Work
« on: November 22, 2013, 06:45:51 pm »
Am I the only person to run into this problem?

For example, in the "Rate My Collection" thread, I tried to click on Turf's link to his GameCube collection here:

http://vgcollect.com/turf/gc

The first time I clicked it (and this happens every time I click a similar link to a profile), the link takes me to MY profile. I then close the window, and click the link again and the 2nd time it takes me to Turf's profile.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:48:02 pm by burningdoom »

pacpix

Re: Links to Profiles Taking 2 Seperate Clicks to Work
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:43:50 pm »
It works fine for me.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

soera

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 08:58:11 pm »
The first time I clicked it (and this happens every time I click a similar link to a profile), the link takes me to MY profile. I then close the window, and click the link again and the 2nd time it takes me to Turf's profile.

Every time I try anymore it does this.

pacpix

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 09:06:32 pm »
What browser are you using?  I am not having any issues in Chrome.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 09:07:58 pm »
Kinda off topic but it's related

Is there a way to get to someone's collection if they don't have the link in their profile?  I know I can type it in the address bar, but I'm a clicky type guy.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 09:47:45 pm »
Internet Explorer

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 10:00:05 pm »
I just tested it on IE and it still worked.  Have you tried clearing your cache?

scott

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 10:09:35 pm »
Kinda off topic but it's related

Is there a way to get to someone's collection if they don't have the link in their profile?  I know I can type it in the address bar, but I'm a clicky type guy.

Not since we changed to this version of the forum. In the old forum Matt had custom links in our profiles for Collection, Wishlist and Selllist.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 10:11:26 pm »
Thats something I actually have noticed missing and I really like the way it used to be. Hopefully it will return!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 09:13:57 am »
It works fine for me.

Same - took me right to his GC collection page.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 09:17:06 am »
Thats something I actually have noticed missing and I really like the way it used to be. Hopefully it will return!

Speaking of...

...I was thinking the same thing the other day about how we used to have that constantly updating list on the lower-left side of the screen with/showing all of the most recent additions to the site's database  :(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

tpugmire

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 12:34:33 pm »
The link works fine for me on my iPhone.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

matt

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 12:45:28 pm »
I know what is going on.

For anyone that is having the problem, my guess it that you start your browser right on the forum and not the main site. See the forum and the main technically have separate login systems.

If you are on the forum, you'll have a cookie set so that you are still logged in, when you click a link back to some collection there is code on the main site that checks for your main site cookie and when found - logs you in. Unfortunately this main site login process doesn't remember what page you were expecting to go to, rather it just forwards you to your collection.

So basically when you click back out to the main site - it thinks you aren't logged in and silently logs you in, which takes you to your collection and not the link you were expecting.

Make sense?

It's something I can probably correct but it'll take a bit to research a proper solution.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 01:38:40 pm »
I know what is going on.

For anyone that is having the problem, my guess it that you start your browser right on the forum and not the main site. See the forum and the main technically have separate login systems.

If you are on the forum, you'll have a cookie set so that you are still logged in, when you click a link back to some collection there is code on the main site that checks for your main site cookie and when found - logs you in. Unfortunately this main site login process doesn't remember what page you were expecting to go to, rather it just forwards you to your collection.

So basically when you click back out to the main site - it thinks you aren't logged in and silently logs you in, which takes you to your collection and not the link you were expecting.

Make sense?

It's something I can probably correct but it'll take a bit to research a proper solution.

Yep, that's what I do. I check out the new posts, first. Must be the problem.

soera

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 03:50:27 pm »
For anyone that is having the problem, my guess it that you start your browser right on the forum and not the main site.

Who starts at the main site? :o The "main" part of this site is the forums for me!