Author Topic: PS3 Region-Locking  (Read 664 times)

artikskarab

PS3 Region-Locking
« on: March 22, 2013, 01:38:28 pm »
I currently have a North-American PS3 at my current residence and I'm currently thinking about buying material online from other countries. Is my PS3 able to read other region's games and DVD/Blu-Rays? (Like a European Game, Region 2, or a Japanese Blu-Ray, Region 3)
Crying does not show your weakness... Crying means you have the strength to accept all of your emotions!
Now playing: Ratchet & Clank Collection - PS3

insektmute

Re: PS3 Region-Locking
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 01:58:57 pm »
Generally speaking, PS3 games are all region-free, and the system doesn't enforce any sort of encoding itself. The sole exception that I'm aware of is Persona 4: Arena, but otherwise, you're golden. This doesn't apply for PS1 or PS2 games, obviously.

As for DVD/Blu-ray, that's a different story. It won't play DVDs from different regions at all, unless they're region-free, and it doesn't do PAL/NTSC transcoding. Most Blu-ray discs aren't locked, but I've run across a fair number of UK editions that are, and in some cases, menus are in PAL and you can't launch it properly even if you can technically play the movie (Zatoichi comes to mind here, grr...). I usually check against sites like blu-ray.com and blubeaver.ca to verify the actual encoding.

I currently use my PS3 for import games and BRDs, but have an Oppo DV-980H for import DVDs. Pretty much any of their players will do the job admirably.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:07:54 pm »
Ps3 is region-free for games...I'm not sure about DVD's and/or Blu-Rays from other areas, though...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:15:14 pm »
I know there were a couple games for PS3 that were region locked though, namely Persona 4 Arena. I'm pretty sure Atlus region locked that one due to something about it's release dates? Something to do w/ reverse importing, I believe.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread