Author Topic: Collection page page entries with subicons  (Read 2635 times)

htimreimer

Re: Collection page page entries with subicons
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 12:02:36 pm »
How about something like this?

i like it

scott

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 12:33:59 pm »
I think that the check-boxes that we already have are just fine & already make everything crystal clear, and that all of this is just over-complicating - or...in other words..."Trying To Fix Something That's Not Broken" (and that already works & does its job just fine) -and- that I'm sure that there are likely a shitload of more important, non-redundant, and *Necessary* things that Matt & Co. could better spend their time fixing/working on...

It's more about streamlining, I think. The way the new site shrinks to accommodate screen size (PC, Tablet, Smartphone) when things get down to the smaller screen size the checkboxes + the text for each was taking up real estate and causing the boxes to hang over the side of the screen.  In various parts of the world signage lacks words and is usually just symbols denoting what something is. In the States we tend to be wordy with our signs in comparison. Plus folk's who don't have English as their primary language can glance at it and not bother reading what each box means.

I don't mind playing in Photoshop to mock up things. I've mocked up ideas for various pages, the android app and other things over the years. Since I can't code the site, I can only contribute to the overall design of things. Plus like today I'm stuck in the office and it's dead slow and it gave me something fun to do. :)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 01:12:06 pm »
I think that the check-boxes that we already have are just fine & already make everything crystal clear, and that all of this is just over-complicating - or...in other words..."Trying To Fix Something That's Not Broken" (and that already works & does its job just fine) -and- that I'm sure that there are likely a shitload of more important, non-redundant, and *Necessary* things that Matt & Co. could better spend their time fixing/working on...

It's more about streamlining, I think. The way the new site shrinks to accommodate screen size (PC, Tablet, Smartphone) when things get down to the smaller screen size the checkboxes + the text for each was taking up real estate and causing the boxes to hang over the side of the screen.  In various parts of the world signage lacks words and is usually just symbols denoting what something is. In the States we tend to be wordy with our signs in comparison. Plus folk's who don't have English as their primary language can glance at it and not bother reading what each box means.

I don't mind playing in Photoshop to mock up things. I've mocked up ideas for various pages, the android app and other things over the years. Since I can't code the site, I can only contribute to the overall design of things. Plus like today I'm stuck in the office and it's dead slow and it gave me something fun to do. :)

Those are some pretty good points & considerations that I hadn't thought of...prolly 'cause I've never used and/or viewed VGCollect on any smaller-sized screens  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 01:20:01 pm »
If you shrink your browser out of Maximized mode and manually shrink the window, you'll see how VGC morphs to the size of the screen.

tpugmire

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 06:49:19 pm »
I like those icons. Still wish there was a way to work our vgcollect NES cartridge icon into it...
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

topspot123

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 07:10:07 pm »
Very nice looking Scott.  Now would they be totally static or would we want to be able to click them to toggle them off and on, or have them bring you to an edit page?  Also, would hovering the mouse bring up the description text?  If so make sure it is Cart/Disc instead of Cart/Disk.

karyann

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 10:08:43 pm »
How about something like this?

Misc Items

I really love that misc icon! Are you a graphics designer or something alike? Either way, you're pretty good with them icons.

scott

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 10:34:53 pm »
Thanks guys.

I really love that misc icon! Are you a graphics designer or something alike? Either way, you're pretty good with them icons.

Sorta. I went to college for it, but never finished. I've been playing in Photoshop and Illustrator for like 15 years though.

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 10:40:52 pm »
Thanks guys.

Sorta. I went to college for it, but never finished. I've been playing in Photoshop and Illustrator for like 15 years though.
I think you should have a PHD in graphic designing.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

scott

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 10:50:22 pm »
Ha, thanks!

scott

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 12:15:11 am »
I like those icons. Still wish there was a way to work our vgcollect NES cartridge icon into it...

That's kinda why when I made the Box icon, I used the design of the label of our NES cart as the basis for it. If you look the one box is the top "art" box and the bottom is the "hoarder series" logo box. :)

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 01:31:31 am »
Let me know if you like these... if so I will make some more in the same style... if you let me plug my 2d mmorpg I've been developing 2.5 yrs now :D... kidding... I would be happy to draw more if they are liked

<-- SNES

<-- NES

<-- Genesis
You should make n64 game cartridge as well
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

topspot123

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 10:20:15 pm »
I have a question.  Even though this would fall in the realm of trying to 'fix what isn't broken', if these changes were to happen would the following be feasible.  I always wanted there to be a check box on a per game basis on whether or not you have a strategy guide.  When I have a guide, I kind of see it as a part of the game, not a related piece of swag.  I personally would like this approach so I could tell just by looking at my game listing if I have a guide or not.  The separate listings for guides wouldn't have to change at all, I would just use the check box.  Anyway, just a thought.  If anyone agrees or disagrees please voice your opinions.