Author Topic: My PlayStation Shelf needs some spice. Please help  (Read 2235 times)

thomps333

My PlayStation Shelf needs some spice. Please help
« on: April 02, 2014, 02:05:06 am »
So I just completed my large PlayStation shelf ( 2 shelves for PS1 games, 3 shelves for PS2 games, 2 shelves for ps3 games and 1 shelf for ps4 games (312 games on the shelf so far)), and I'd like some ideas on how to spice it up (not including putting figures or anything in front of the games). The only idea I can think of is to paint the entire case and shelves black. Here is a link to my gaming page:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008114493607
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:21:29 am by thomps333 »
My youtube name is Spektrum

ffxik

Re: My PlayStation Shelf needs some spice. Please help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 02:23:17 am »
You could paint it.  If it were me I would doodle some game artwork on the exposed side.  That is if you or someone you know has a knack for it.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 04:06:34 am »
I'd say paint it black and then put a big Playstation decal or paint with a stencil over the black  on the side with a familiar Playstation logo.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:14:46 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:46:14 am »
1) Get rid of the wood block holding the PS1 games upright, it looks like crap. Just stack the games facedown.

2) You can never go wrong with collectibles and figures on top of the shelf. One thing I would recommend is only displaying figures and collectibles for games that are Playstation exclusives otherwise it won't have the same draw value.

thomps333

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:58:27 am »
Thank you all for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. Here is what I plan on doing to it so far:

-Paint it black
-Add my favorite Playstation exclusive figures on top of the shelf
-Add PS logos on the side according to each console. I'll be printing it out on paper as to it being more cost effective

dreama1

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:06:13 pm »
Thank you all for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. Here is what I plan on doing to it so far:

-Paint it black
-Add my favorite Playstation exclusive figures on top of the shelf
-Add PS logos on the side according to each console. I'll be printing it out on paper as to it being more cost effective
Buy some posters.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 07:29:33 pm »
go to your local lowes/Home Depot/Harbor freight and pick this stuff up
http://www.harborfreight.com/solid-nonslip-drawer-liner-65565.html
it'll keep the cases from slipping so you won't need any sort of wood to hold them in place
also maybe just paint the back of the Shelving unit Black. that might actually end up looking better than just having the whole unit Black

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 08:06:41 pm »
I think the wood-grain finish looks classy the way it is.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 01:02:00 am »
Can't wait to see your cabinet with PlayStation decals.  Pretty awesome you took the time doing this, hope you'll continue to enjoy the complete project once you've reached that point.  Good luck, if you need it?

Please check out the games I have for sale.

thomps333

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 01:33:14 am »
So it turns out that my parents have yet to give it to me :( My dad said he has technically lent it to me so far and it won't be decided if I can keep it until I move out. He said that the entire unit can fetch around $200 with the classic oak finish rather than painted. Now that I think of it, I'd probably end up ruining it by painting it. So the only thing I can really do to it is put figurines on top of it and add my logo signs on the side. It should look pretty good still. Across from it I have my unfinished Nintendo shelf and beside that I have the rest of my PS2 games, original xbox, xbox 360, and gamecube games shelf.

argyle

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 09:35:15 am »
I think it looks really nice as-is anyway - I agree that painting it would ruin it.  As others have mentioned, ditch the piece of wood holding up your games & replace it with a game-related bookend or figurine, fill in the gaps with other figurines/collectables, and call it a day.  I wouldn't even put the logos on the side personally - *maybe* a thin poster or two, as someone else mentioned. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

thomps333

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 01:10:51 pm »
Thank you to everyone who has put in their thoughts about my topic. Upon reading responses from people, I have decided that I won't be painting the shelf, but I do still want to have PlayStation exclusive figurines as well as some PlayStation related art whether it be logos, characters or whatever. I'm also thinking of possibly getting a couple posters. Please feel free to post suggestions and comments.

I just posted a pic on my page of my pic photoshoped of what i want on the side. Also, if a PS 5 is ever released, I can easily reorganize my games again and make another logo for PS5 for the side. Nothing on the shelf will be permanent, so I will be able to change whatever I want about it at any time.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1380538948893242&set=a.1377367712543699.1073741834.100008114493607&type=1&theater
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:50:46 am by thomps333 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 09:18:12 pm »
That does look nice, good job! When you said decals, I pictured a style like a high-school kid's bag covered in band patches all over the place (do kids still do that?).

thomps333

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 01:48:30 pm »
@ burningdoom-Thanks, glad you think it looks nice. I wanted to go with a look that labels what I have, and that is clean and not too cluttered. Lol yeah I can see how people would think that that's what I meant, I would think the same thing to. I like to try and be organized though. As an example you can check out my video I posted on my channel on how I organize my extra controllers

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY-fPMTh9L4

I'm not sure if kids still do that to their backpacks, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.