Author Topic: Consolidation of PSN PS3  (Read 429 times)

tripredacus

Consolidation of PSN PS3
« on: June 14, 2024, 11:29:16 am »
I want to make sure that I understand this correctly before going forward with any changes.

PS2 Classics, PSOne Classics and PS Mini are all actual PS3 PSN titles?
Ideally they would be a sub-cat but we are not set up for this type of arrangement.

If the above is correct, I will merge them into their appropriate PSN category, or inform as to why they should not be done this way.

If the answer to that is you can get them on PS4 or other systems, then we also have to consider the fact that you can download PSP games onto PS3. It we consider the PSP situation separate and that these 3 category types are platform agnostic (for the most part), then perhaps an agnostic set of PSN categories can be made instead.

dhaabi

Re: Consolidation of PSN PS3
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024, 11:48:37 am »
To my understanding:
Downloadable PlayStation releases may be played on some or all of the following: PSP, PS3, PS Vita, PS4, and PS5.
Downloadable PlayStation 2 releases may be played on some or all of the following: PS3, PS4, and PS5.
PlayStation Mini releases may be played on some or all of the following: PSP, PS3, and PS Vita.

The above compatibilities do not take into consideration the use of Remote Play and accessories such as the PlayStation TV. Also, I'll mention that certain titles for any of the three item types may have updated features, graphics, or performance for PS4 and PS5 systems. Whether this fact deems these separate versions as their own unique item for the sake of our purposes, I'm not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_downloadable_PlayStation_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downloadable_PlayStation_2_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_minis

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 12:04:41 pm »
So each title has different compatibilities. The is one consideration. The second is that they would also fall under the multi-platform game rules.

From your links:
all PSOne Classics go to PSP PSN
All PS Minis go to PSP PSN
And PS2 Classics depends on the title.

I can move the PSP ones next week directly in the database, but the PS2 Classics will have to be done manually it seems.

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2024, 12:15:05 pm »
How does this affect other digital categories, notably PlayStation Network and Xbox Live? The situation seems no different for them.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2024, 01:13:33 pm »
I think if you own the PS3 release of PSOne game Toy Story 2 you can get the PS4/PS5 version but you don't get the PS3 version if you buy the PS4/PS5 version. I don't think it applies to every re-release though, I think Resident Evil Director's Cut may be excluded? I'm not sure it works the same way for PS2.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 10:27:35 am »
How does this affect other digital categories, notably PlayStation Network and Xbox Live? The situation seems no different for them.

I don't understand the question.

Currently digital platforms are set up by console and by region. The three I listed do not fit into this pattern.

dhaabi

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 11:01:22 am »

I don't understand the question.

Currently digital platforms are set up by console and by region. The three I listed do not fit into this pattern.

For instance, a game like The Walking Dead: Season Two: A Telltale Games Series was released with compatibility for PS3, PS4, and PS Vita. No matter how the game is originally purchased, it has cross compatibility across all three systems. Meaning, had I purchased the game originally on the Vita marketplace, I can also play it with a PS4 system. So, when considering the multi-platform rule, only one entry for PSN PS3 should remain. This is an issue with dozens of essentially duplicate entries being made for multiple sub-cats, especially for modern PS4 and PS5 systems. Here are the two entries for Among Us, as another example, which were made in tandem. The issue also relates to Xbox Live.

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 12:03:42 pm »
I see. I think for those it needs to be determined whether those are actually different releases or not. Each would (or may) have their own part number that is used on PSN, like how Steam has ID numbers for their games. If they were the same for each platform, then likely they are not different items.

dhaabi

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 03:04:41 pm »
I see. I think for those it needs to be determined whether those are actually different releases or not. Each would (or may) have their own part number that is used on PSN, like how Steam has ID numbers for their games. If they were the same for each platform, then likely they are not different items.

Unfortunately, an issue for us is that store pages for PS3 and PS Vita titles do not exist anymore. This also includes original store pages for older titles like Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus which were available on the original PSN for PS3, evident by our entry page for it. Since its more modern digital re-release, you'll be able to see the new (duplicate) entries for PS4 and PS5 that have already been created. Here is its updated store page. One day, the pages for PS4 and PS5 games will cease to exist as well, when successor systems (i.e. PS6 and so forth) are available. So, I don't think utilizing the store item number is ideal in determining if these are duplicate entries or not.

The argument can be made that the various releases are different, and I wouldn't outright disagree with that claim. Here is this section found on some product pages:

This title has been converted from the PlayStation® version to the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 consoles and provides newly added features. Consequently, there may be times where the title plays differently from the PlayStation® version, or where some features may cause the title to not function properly. This version does not support the PlayStation® console’s peripherals, therefore some functionality may not be available.

However, this seems no different to me than with the updates any digital game may receive over the time of its release—new features may be added while others may be removed and, at times, they may be system-specific. I am reminded of your instruction from when mobile categories were created which I feel would also be appropriate for handling these multi-platform releases:

Android is for any APK on or off the Google Play Store. We still do not track individual versions, so that info should be put into Notes when you add to your collection

Regarding more modern titles, it seems as if pages represent both PS4 and PS5, should a title be compatible with both platforms. Here is the store page for Among Us. Additionally, here is another example for one of the earliest digital PS5 games Destiny 2, which the store page also lists PS4 and PS5.

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2024, 09:30:36 am »
I had no hand in creating or developing how the PSN/XBL/xShop categories were set up. It was well after those were done that it was determined that dupes were being made because the options in each region (just within a console) were the same thing. So ideally, these sections should be done the same as how Mobile is done, per platform. Meaning that there would just be 1 PSN category, one XBL, etc. And PC Digital Download, Steam, Epic, etc would be merged also. But that is beyond what we will do until we can get item tagging, to allow 1 entry to be used for multiple releases, at least as far as digital titles go.

That being said, I'm not talking about reworking how the existing sections work for PSN or anything else, just these three specific Playstation sections that are not tied to a system and are (in essense) sub-types. The wild-west aspect of the other digital console categories will just have to stay the way they are for now.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2024, 08:13:29 pm »
PS2 Classics are PS3 only, the PS4/PS5 versions of PS2 classics are separate products, even from themselves, all 3 have their own distinct product listings if I recall correctly.  I have no point of reference regarding PS2 Classics netting you PS4/PS5 versions.  (I can confirm that I own Twisted Metal: Black as a PS2 Classic and I do not own the PS4 version and cannot obtain it for free)

PSOne Classics are PS3, PSP, and PSVita, 1 purchase, 1 product listing.  Owning PSOne classics that are now available on PS4/PS5 generally allows you to purchase the PS4/PS5 version for free, but you do still have to make a purchase (source: Me "rebuying" Wild Arms 1 + 2 on PS4 and PS5.)

I'm not terribly familiar with PS Minis as I thought they were Vita only.

Referring to some content on PSN, the PSP, PS3, and PS Vita versions were separate products, but they leveraged "cross-buy" which meant by buying one, you owned all.  In this situation the user should reasonably add all 3 (PSP, PS Vita, and PS3) to their collection.  Some of these games even had separate trophy lists, but I think that was usually ones without cross-saves.  In the cases of PS2 Classics, PSOne Classics, and PS Minis, Sony treated these as separate product types from PSP, PS Vita, and PS3 games.

Personally, I'm fine with PS2 Classics going into PSN PS3 because they were only playable on PS3.  PSOne classics is complicated because it's not PS3, PSP, nor PS Vita, and they aren't treated differently per platform, but again, owning them doesn't necessarily get you the PS4/PS5 versions, but my sole experience is with Wild Arms.  As for PS Mini, I'm not opposed to putting them under PSN PSP, but the fact that some work on PS3 and PS Vita whereas no PSP games are playable on PS3, it irks me a little.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 08:26:37 pm by ignition365 »

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2024, 10:19:09 am »
but the fact that some work on PS3 and PS Vita whereas no PSP games are playable on PS3, it irks me a little.

I never had a PSP but I do have PSP games installed on my PS3 somehow, I guess from the "buy one get them all" thing you mentioned before.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2024, 06:38:11 pm »
but the fact that some work on PS3 and PS Vita whereas no PSP games are playable on PS3, it irks me a little.

I never had a PSP but I do have PSP games installed on my PS3 somehow, I guess from the "buy one get them all" thing you mentioned before.
it's possible.  From my recollection actual PSP executables can be stored but not installed on PS3, so maybe cross buy, but I dont recall crossbuy existing prior to Vita, but I wouldnt be surprised.