Author Topic: Japan or bust!  (Read 2932 times)

Re: Japan or bust!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 06:41:53 am »
I currently live in Kyoto. I live a few blocks away from kyoto station and kamo-gawa. My recommendation is get to Kyoto/Nara because the cherry blossoms are currently in bloom and they are amazing. Walk along the river. Enjoy the beauty of it while the Sakura's are still around. Go to Gion and drink by the river at night. On Saturday's there is a band as well as a fire dancer all by the river. Everyone is having a great time. Osaka will be great as well. Will probably go there in a few days. I don't frequent it enough to really tell you any good spots. And I have yet to go to Tokyo since I have been living here but I will be there for a few days before going off to Thailand (and then subsequently back to Japan a week later). All I can recommend is that you see as much as you can and really enjoy it. There are sooooooo many nooks and crannies with little shops and bars. It's a gift in itself to just explore. I have run into beautiful gardens in the middle of cities just by getting lost in the alley ways. I would recommend putting anything hobby related off because there is so much to see and experience and ten days is not enough!

But if you must indulge just go to a hard off. You will always find gold there. Or go to Akihabara to really be engulfed in Nerd Nirvana.

desocietas

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 09:50:32 pm »
I've been away from you all for too long!  It's been a few days in Tokyo so far and have had some awesome sushi and getting a little more used to the subways.  We activate our JR pass today, so that opens up some new options.  I'm just researching now of spots to go to in Tokyo (Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Roppongi Hills, etc.) but I'm still not sure where I'll end up.  The language is still foreign, but I'm glad I took a little time out to study even just some very, very basic hiragana.  Doesn't really help me much, but there's some comfort in being able to recognize it as well as basic phrases like "thank you" and "can I have _____?"

Thanks for the tips on Kyoto!  We'll be over there on the 6th, I believe and will be there for a few days.

Ok, now back to researching on any cool gamer-related spots.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 11:18:10 pm »
Save me some sushi, omg!

scott

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 11:42:36 pm »
Hope you're having a good time! I'm super interested to see how many tags you end up w/ on your 3DS. ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 09:24:38 am »
I've been away from you all for too long!  It's been a few days in Tokyo so far and have had some awesome sushi and getting a little more used to the subways.  We activate our JR pass today, so that opens up some new options.  I'm just researching now of spots to go to in Tokyo (Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Roppongi Hills, etc.) but I'm still not sure where I'll end up.  The language is still foreign, but I'm glad I took a little time out to study even just some very, very basic hiragana.  Doesn't really help me much, but there's some comfort in being able to recognize it as well as basic phrases like "thank you" and "can I have _____?"

Thanks for the tips on Kyoto!  We'll be over there on the 6th, I believe and will be there for a few days.

Ok, now back to researching on any cool gamer-related spots.

Not the same here w/o ya'  :'(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 11:13:53 pm »
I's back!

To answer everyone's burning question, I got 251 pickups through StreetPass after 8 days!  Prior to that, I had 223 after having the 3DS since launch in America... :\

Also, no, I did not bring back anything for you :\  But I took pictures to share!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 11:15:05 pm »
Glad to see you back! I hope you had a good time ... I really hope you got to enjoy the DQ bar. :)

desocietas

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 11:32:00 pm »
Glad to see you back! I hope you had a good time ... I really hope you got to enjoy the DQ bar. :)

Ha I looked that up... but was it just a temporary bar/cafe?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

jcalder8

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 12:28:09 am »
I's back!

To answer everyone's burning question, I got 251 pickups through StreetPass after 8 days!  Prior to that, I had 223 after having the 3DS since launch in America... :\

Also, no, I did not bring back anything for you :\  But I took pictures to share!
Welcome back! Glad to hear that you had good luck with the StreetPass. Were you able to get any games for yourself?

desocietas

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 12:38:49 am »
I's back!

Welcome back! Glad to hear that you had good luck with the StreetPass. Were you able to get any games for yourself?

Thanks!  Nah, it was all Japanese stuff, and I'm not an import gamer (yet).  I only got to spend about 30 min in Book-Off and didn't really have a chance to go anywhere else.  Stopped by Kiddy Land, but they didn't have video games.  Though the duty-free shop at the airport even had import games to buy!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 12:11:03 pm »
It wasnt supposed to be a temporary location. I hope its not. I still plan to visit it myself one day!

insektmute

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 01:03:01 pm »
Welcome back! Hopefully you'll post some of the pics here?

desocietas

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 06:52:34 pm »
Welcome back! Hopefully you'll post some of the pics here?

yeah! I'll let y'all know as soon as I get them off my digicam!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas