Author Topic: The Toy Collectors  (Read 41936 times)

Re: The Toy Collectors
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2020, 04:31:06 pm »
I had never really noticed how cool the Mudtroopers look from the Solo movie, but when I went looking to see if they had a figure, they didn't, but since Han dresses up as one, I was able to get this for price that was pretty close to retail.  This is gonna be one of the only few non-troopers/Mandalorians I'll probably be buying for collection, since I can basically just never show that it's Han Solo lol

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 04:34:49 pm by kamikazekeeg »

pzeke

« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2020, 06:33:30 pm »
So that's a custom? Looks nice.

If you have the dough, there's a Hot Toys Han Solo/Mudtrooper. It's a 1:6 scale figure, though.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2020, 06:41:54 pm »
So that's a custom? Looks nice.

If you have the dough, there's a Hot Toys Han Solo/Mudtrooper. It's a 1:6 scale figure, though.

Nope, not a custom, it's the Han Solo (Mimban) release from Black Series.  And I would love to get 1:6 scale stuff, but that's too pricey for me lol If I had that kind of money, I'd be buying SHMonsterArts Godzilla stuff lol I'm still so bummed that NECA had to stop making their Godzilla's, because while their quality isn't as good as SHMA, they were similar size and looked good enough for me, at like a 5th of the price.

pzeke

« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2020, 07:04:03 pm »
Space is a big factor when collecting these type of figures, so there's that. Many of them do look awesome, but like you said, they're pricey and I just don't have the space—they're just beyond the scope of what I like in my collection.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

pzeke

« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2020, 09:18:51 pm »
Latest pick ups, which happen to look cool, but somewhat like a high-end Happy Meal toy. Not that I care, really; I'm certain I'd pick more of these if they made it a series.

« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2020, 06:00:55 pm »

This just shipped, so I should have it soon, but generally I don't collect Transformers, I think they are awesome, it's just not another line of toys I need to collect, though it wouldn't be a lot I'd get into, I'm only kinda into a few characters.  As a kid I had the Gen 2 Megatron toy, it's a real awesome toy, very limited compared to the toys these days, but it was a pretty big figure and the tank mode is awesome.  I wish I still had it and I plan to buy it again someday, but for now, this new representation of it will fill that space.

I even have a small green/purple tank for what turned out to be a character called "Brawl", though its not his original color, so not usre if it came out before or after G2 Megatron.

pzeke

« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2020, 09:06:33 am »
[...] but generally I don't collect Transformers, I think they are awesome, it's just not another line of toys I need to collect, though it wouldn't be a lot I'd get into, I'm only kinda into a few characters. [...]

Yeah, that's pretty much the same for me as well; I used to also have a bunch of Transformers growing up, and still like the franchise/series for most part, but I'm more into mechas. When I saw Voltron for the first time as a kid, Transformers pretty much became an afterthought. Beast Wars did, however, revitalize my interest in the series.

« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2020, 01:52:24 am »
For a little added discussion talk, what are some toys that you are dying to get for yourself? And I'm not really talking like you had dumb money and you could just buy all the crazy expensive Hot Toys Figures, but more stuff you are actually wanting to get, but maybe you haven't found them out in the wild or the prices you want. 

For me, a series I desperately want more of, are the Dragon Ball Movie Collection Series Figures.  These are like early 2000's toys I believe, but they are like real tall figures, with some of the biggest reaching like 9 inches or maybe even taller, and they have kinda more realistic detailing rather than being super cartoon accurate colors like the recent Dragon Ball Stars toys that are common now.  I had a couple that I ended up clearing out years ago, but I got a real good deal a couple years back on basically the full Collection 2 set.  I showed them off a little while back when I showed my toy shelves.

The set I really want right now are the Collection 1 set, with Cooler, SSJ Goku, Piccolo, and Slug.

There's a bunch more also, like the early waves are all in these cool rounded front boxes, but after like a few waves, they moved to more squared boxes, but I just love how cool they look on a shelf as they are sorta like the Todd McFarlane Spawn figures, where they don't have a ton of poseability, but a lot of great detail.  When I'm able to get back to conventions, I'm hoping to find some.  They are kinda pricey to find if they still have the box, but I got the four I showed off for like 10 to 20 bucks a piece, which is what I'm generally looking for on them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 01:54:51 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2020, 02:20:14 am »
For a little added discussion talk, what are some toys that you are dying to get for yourself? And I'm not really talking like you had dumb money and you could just buy all the crazy expensive Hot Toys Figures, but more stuff you are actually wanting to get, but maybe you haven't found them out in the wild or the prices you want. 

For me it's easily the larger Lego sets and the like, in particular the UCS Lineup for the Star Wars sets. It's only been recently where I've felt comfortable dropping over $100 on a Lego set, but I can't go back and easily grab the sets that I missed out on when I was making less money, because those sets just got even more expensive. I'd love to get a UCS Y-Wing or a Voltron set, but I don't love the thought of paying at least $350 for one.
And that's not even factoring all the sets I dreamed about when I was a kid. If they rereleased a bunch of the old BlackTron or Space Police stuff, I'd be all over that. They remastered a bunch of the older Ninjago sets, why can't they do that with their other lineups?

« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2020, 02:34:04 am »

For me it's easily the larger Lego sets and the like, in particular the UCS Lineup for the Star Wars sets. It's only been recently where I've felt comfortable dropping over $100 on a Lego set, but I can't go back and easily grab the sets that I missed out on when I was making less money, because those sets just got even more expensive. I'd love to get a UCS Y-Wing or a Voltron set, but I don't love the thought of paying at least $350 for one.
And that's not even factoring all the sets I dreamed about when I was a kid. If they rereleased a bunch of the old BlackTron or Space Police stuff, I'd be all over that. They remastered a bunch of the older Ninjago sets, why can't they do that with their other lineups?

Yeah I feel like they are really missing out by not re-releasing the old stuff they did, like there was a pirate set I believe I remember having, or I had a couple of those wild scifi space sets from the 90's when I was a kid with their neon green/yellow transparent parts.

pzeke

« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2020, 08:12:59 am »
For a little added discussion talk, what are some toys that you are dying to get for yourself?

For me, a series I desperately want more of, are the Dragon Ball Movie Collection Series Figures. [...]

The Movie Collection series was hit or miss for me; I think the villains are the better-looking figures.

Anyway, for me is mostly Spawn, which for the most part getting figures was comfortably inexpensive, but most have gone up in price lately. Quite recently McFarlane did a Kickstarter campaign for a "remaster" of the original figure from the first series, but unfortunately I came to know about it literally a week after the Kickstarter ended. Suffice to say I'm shit out of luck on that one, so I'm not going to even entertain the idea, unless I were to come across someone who for whatever reason has it and is clueless about its value...which is highly unlikely. Aside from Spawn, I'd like to also get my hands on those elusive NECA TMNT figures that Walmart.com seemingly never had in stock.

To be honest, this is something I often think about, and if it were for me I'd probably end up trying to get all the figures I used to have as a kid, or at the very least the ones that I used to like the most. But truth be told, that'd be overkill due to limited space and the fact I'd be letting nostalgia take the wheel, which I'm sure I will end regretting. Nonetheless, there are definitely a slew of select figures from my childhood that I'd like to "get back", like from TMNT and a few from Thundercats for example.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 10:59:22 am by pzeke »

« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2020, 09:33:44 pm »
These aren't toys, but I'm not gonna open up a whole new card thread for just this, since I'm not someone that collects cards any more (Use to collect the Dragon Ball Z TCG back in high school, still got most of the player cards), but I've been watching a bunch of card opening videos lately, mostly just Pokemon, and it's become a big thing lately. 

It's fun watching people pull out the super rare cards and I love watching folks who get original era cards and are opening those, trying to find these crazy rare cards that could be worth hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.  I didn't buy these for that, it just reinvigorated my love for card opening and collecting, I didn't do a lot of Pokemon cards as a kid (I was mostly just into the 90's games and some show stuff), but I do like Pokemon in general, so it seemed like it could be fun, opening cards, doing the three card shuffle, guessing the energy, and then seeing if I can't get something rare or just a Pokemon I like.

Funny enough, my sister also got into watching people do this abit and she was interested to, so for our Christmas Eve entertainment, we are nostalgia tripping by watching a movie and opening up Pokemon Cards.  Got some brand new stuff from the store, an assortment of the newest series that came out this year I believe, and then my buddy actually came into a couple Sun & Moon era cards, and these themed deck sets and gave them to me cheap.  The deck sets don't have special cards or anything, but just more cards to open for the heck of it.

azure

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2020, 10:00:29 pm »

I'd love to own the RIOBOT figures for Jehuty and Anubis from Zone of the Enders.

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2020, 10:03:46 pm »

I'd love to own the RIOBOT figures for Jehuty and Anubis from Zone of the Enders.

I don't know ZoE at all, but those are some real cool figures.

pzeke

« Reply #149 on: December 25, 2020, 08:02:44 am »

Same—the thing is, though, that I actually bought both years ago from a Japanese seller, but they ended up getting returned because the seller messed up my address, then refused to send them again. The value for both figures have gone up since then, so the only way I realistically can envision getting them is either in some sort of lot or perhaps from someone without a clue of what they're selling.