Author Topic: The Toy Collectors  (Read 41951 times)

Re: The Toy Collectors
« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2021, 03:46:19 pm »
Been a short bit since I've found stuff out in the wild that I hadn't just pre-ordered or ordered online, but I found the one Macho Man figure I've been wanting, which is the one based on his "Cream of the Crop" promo.  I love it, I don't even collect wrestling figures other than the MOTU WWE ones, but Randy is my favorite wrestler and I needed this on.  The version I have is the one on the left as the right one, which has the right details to the promo, is a chase variant, so I'm unlikely to ever find it.

I also found the Justice League Batman alongside this.  I absolutely am not a fan of Snyders work, the characterization of Batman with how he kills people, but dammit, I think Affleck's version of Batman is so dang good looking.  To me, it's easily the best live action version of purely design wise.  I just wish it was used in far better movies.  I got the "goggles down" version, because McFarlane hates his customers with a fiery passion apparently as there are three variants of this Batman, one with molded goggles down, one up, and another maskless that looks nothing like Ben Affleck.  There should've just been one masked head with removable goggles.  I'm kinda getting this mostly because I'm hoping they'll go back and do other movie Batmen figures in this scale and design, as I would definitely get a Dark Knight Bale Batman, and a 1989 Keaton Batman, along with likely getting the Pattinson one for a small collection of movie Batmen.

In the mail a few days ago, I got my movie Snake Eyes figure, for 5 bucks, because I bought it when had a pricing error and they never changed it lol Never got to see the movie, but the design is good.

My big buy was I got lucky and got an online order for the new Castle Grayskull from the MOTU Origins line.  I don't collect the figures, but I do collect the Masterverse ones, so I thought I needed a perfect backdrop for them.

And to go with that, I got an Evil-Lyn to go with my Skelegod.  I'm mostly gonna be collecting the versions of the characters that aren't the classic designs, I like them more generally and I'm just waiting on them to do a new release for Skeletor and He-Man to hopefully have improved heads as they didn't quite nail the looks.

« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2021, 05:18:39 am »
Picked up a couple things in the past few weeks, some abit spur of the moment, most of it on sale lol  I just grabbed that Batman Batcycle, since it got down to 10 bucks on Amazon.  I have the Batman for this because I think the Death Metal design is cool, though still not 100% sure if I'm gonna keep it or not, more for space reasons, but I couldn't pass it up at that price.

Also spure of the moment was the Super 7 Metalhead.  It was on Amazon for 42 bucks, which is way cheaper than the usual Big Bad Toy Store pricing, and no shipping costs.  I have the Leonardo and I'm getting Sewer Samurai Leo next year, but these are snazzy toys.

To go with my Grayskull decor since I don't have any new figures yet (Waiting on Scareglow and Teela right now), Target was practically giving away the Sky Sled, so I grabbed that for I think under 10 bucks.  I just got it posed up on the other side of my castle without the Prince Adam on it.

Other than that, I got my GIJOE Classified Snake Eyes Commando figure coming in the mail.  Commando isn't my favorite look, I always preferred the more Ninja style with the visory, but it's a great looking figure.

« Reply #212 on: October 05, 2021, 05:45:52 pm »
I did a splurge on something as I generally don't buy expensive stuff, I'm more about buying more for less as a lot of the stuff I like is on the cheaper side, but after beating Death Stranding again, I really wanted to show my support of this game I love and I thought this would be a fun way to do so, by getting the Kojima Lady Ludens figure and a Death Stranding Trike for her to ride on.  Both are quite pricy, especially together, but I had a real need for them.

« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2021, 09:45:54 pm »
My April O'Neil Signature Edition from NECA arrived yesterday, and she is in two halves. She could be snapped back together, but I hadn't planned on opening her.  It's very frustrating.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:49:05 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2022, 11:47:22 am »
ToyFair happened over the weekend and NECA announced a ton of new stuff for TMNT and other lines.

TMNT Toons
Zach / Smash 2pk
Rock Soldier Infantry /Crooked Turtle Goon 2pk
Both up for pre-order tomorrow

Usagi Yojimbo Ultimate
Neutrino 3pk
Up for pre-order in a couple of weeks

Movie Line
TMNT 2 Turtles 4pk
Tokka and Rhazar re-release
Up for order on March 22

Comic Lines
2 versions of The Last Ronin

Casey Jones, Renet, Utroms, Fugitoid from the Mirage run

Slash, Dreadmon, Jaegwar, Rey Fillet from Archie comics

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 05:24:24 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2022, 04:59:02 pm »
I was bummed that the Secrets of the Ooze Turtles are only releasing as a 4 pack right now, because I missed out on the first movie Leonardo, but apparently they will be releasing them in 2 packs afterwards, which I kinda hate as I just want Leonardo, but it's better than buying a 4 pack lol

« Reply #216 on: February 22, 2022, 11:18:28 am »
I was bummed that the Secrets of the Ooze Turtles are only releasing as a 4 pack right now, because I missed out on the first movie Leonardo, but apparently they will be releasing them in 2 packs afterwards, which I kinda hate as I just want Leonardo, but it's better than buying a 4 pack lol

First movie 2 packs are out in the wild right now, and he'd match up better.

« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2022, 04:19:13 pm »

The Leonardo one isn't available in stores anymore or else I'd grab that as I actually like the darker color of the first movie more, though I'd take the 2nd movie design too since they are still relatively close.

« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2022, 04:53:28 pm »

The Leonardo one isn't available in stores anymore or else I'd grab that as I actually like the darker color of the first movie more, though I'd take the 2nd movie design too since they are still relatively close.

The solo Leo isn't, but the two packs of the first movie are absolutely still in stores.  It's hit and miss, like all of NECA's releases, but the movie line has seen a huge spike in availability lately.

« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2022, 05:41:38 pm »

The solo Leo isn't, but the two packs of the first movie are absolutely still in stores.  It's hit and miss, like all of NECA's releases, but the movie line has seen a huge spike in availability lately.

I don't know if I've seen one in like 2 years at least.  I saw it once, but at the time I hadn't gotten back into my Leonardo collection, but I started back into it in the past year or so, so I missed out on my chance at the time.

« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2022, 02:52:48 pm »
Milestone Hit Today 400 Funko Pops

I hit 400 funko pops today. Totaling over 100 pounds in these hordable plastic passions that I love. Video games switched to Funko pops as my main passion around 2019 and I have never looked back.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 02:57:29 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2022, 02:55:29 pm »
Milestone Hit Today 400 Funko Pops

I hit 400 funko pops today. Totaling over 100 pounds in these hordable plastic passions that I love. Video games switched to Funko pops as my main passion around 2019 and I have never looked back. I did spring cleaning but now I want to organize them to be more themed. Like Ariel with Ariel.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 02:57:06 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

soera

« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2022, 06:11:25 pm »
I rebuilt my Dr Strange display!

pzeke

« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2022, 02:09:29 am »
Can't wait to try and find the new unmasked Casey Jones from NECA.  The sculpt is amazing.

I want NECA to release a 1/4 scale Casey Jones, that's all; I'd be all over that.

Holy crap, you’re not kidding about that sculpt. I thought it was an actual photo of Elias Koteas at first.

I think you're exaggerating a bit, but the likeness is uncanny, so I see what you mean.

I pre-ordered the Leo/Donny Power Rangers/TMNT 2 pack yesterday myself.  I wish they were a little bit better, they needed slightly stockier proportions, but I still think it's really cool for Hasbro to be doing TMNT and I love the designs.  I don't know if I'm gonna get them all, I mostly only collect Leonardo, but I'm gonna have Donny with this and I was tempted by Green Ranger Shredder that'll be coming, which will give me Raph also, so I'd just have to get the Mikey and April 2 pack...Not 100% on that yet.

I found about these by complete happenstance, and while genuinely surprised, I wasn't particularly impressed. Nevertheless, I pre-ordered them, then canceled; then pre-ordered them a second time, and then canceled again. I don't know, I'm well aware of the crossover and like the concept a lot, but these just don't do it for me at all...and that's without taking into consideration the god-awful unmasked heads for the turtles—absolute trash, in my very, pedantically biased opinion.

Anyway, as it turned out, these were the figures Hasbro teased about during their livestream last year in July, where the silhouette of the figure they showed was of Foot Soldier Tommy, and not a Ninja Ranger, as I hopelessly thought.

[...] Both are quite pricy, especially together, but I really wanted them.

There, fixed it for you.

My April O'Neil Signature Edition from NECA arrived yesterday, and she is in two halves. She could be snapped back together, but I hadn't planned on opening her.  It's very frustrating.

Nah, son! If I buy a figure brand new, then that's exactly what I expect to receive, especially if purchased from a specialty store online like BBTS or from NECA themselves. Granted, this doesn't mean I'm going to bother customer service because I received a box with a dinged corner, only an ass would do that. But receiving what essentially amounts to a broken figure? No way. Places like BBTS, for instance, take measures to ensure their customers receive their orders in the best condition possible, so if anything like this were to happen, customer support wouldn't hesitate to assist. I don't know where you got the figure from, but I'm certain had you contacted customer support, they would've sent you a replacement.

Movie Line
TMNT 2 Turtles 4pk

I've been trying to cut back on spending on unnecessary things as of late, especially considering my room is nearly running out of space for collectibles of this sort, but there's a 50/50 chance I might get them. The price tag I admit I'm not too content with, but it's fair, I believe. The Last Ronin also piques my interest, but I'm not entirely sure whether getting it or not, so we'll see. There's also an accessory set for the TMNT 2 4-pack. Now that one should've been priced a bit lower, I think.

Maybe around your area, but not around mine or on their website—well, to be fair, I did managed to come across the Raphael/Michelangelo two-pack once, but someone handled that fucker roughly because the box was torn all over. This is what's only available on Walmart.com, and it's sold by someone else at double its original price; the second pack has been out of stock for a good while now.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 06:01:23 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

pzeke

« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2022, 09:48:55 pm »
Movie Line
TMNT 2 Turtles 4pk

I've been trying to cut back on spending on unnecessary things as of late, especially considering my room is nearly running out of space for collectibles of this sort, but there's a 50/50 chance I might get them. The price tag I admit I'm not too content with, but it's a fair, I believe. The Last Ronin also piques my interest, but I'm not entirely sure whether getting it or not, so we'll see. There's also an accessory set for the TMNT 2 4-pack. Now that one should've been priced a bit lower, I think.

Meh, I'm skipping these; I'm more invested in the Gargoyles line NECA is currently producing, so I'd like to focus on them.

Anyway, here's my latest haul since pretty much July of last year up until last month:

Not a bad-looking variant; it certainly isn't Shadow Master, but it still looks nice. The only thing that I regret is getting it around the time of its release since Walmart recently had about a dozen of them on clearance...although the boxes weren't exactly in the best shape.

I got these at Walgreens while looking for the NECA Ultimate Michael Myers. Finding the first two was a surprise; they were the only ones left stacked among Jack Sparrow figures, which admittedly I kind of regret not getting. The other two I've wanted for a while and found while visiting a Walgreens at a different location; they both go well with the Kingdom Hearts figures.

OG Broly is the best Broly.

Impulse buy while at Walmart, but it was the last one in a near-pristine box, and apparently tagged with the wrong price because it rang $5.98 during checkout when the rest were priced at $20something.

Random purchase I made while doing some shopping on GameStop.com last year. Originally I intended getting the MK11 Spawn figure, but since I missed that boat and Noob Saibot is the next best thing looking like a Hellspawn, particularly Raven Spawn, plus it being on sale I figured I might as well get it. It's literally the first MK-related figure in my collection, and quite frankly, looks cool.

I said I wanted Zakus, and I got the best. Love it! Sazabi is coming in September, which I'm thinking I might get.

Now if only I could find the Megatron (Beast) figure from the Transformers: Kingdom line, that'd be great.

I pre-ordered this one in a heartbeat when I learned about it. Gargoyles was my jam back in the day, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the rest of the line, and really hope to not miss any. Next up is Hudson!

Kick-ass statue! 'Nuff said.

And here we have this monster of a figure, The Violator, or Violator IV if we go by the naming convention McFarlane used to follow. This beast is massive and it's awesome! Truth be told, I almost didn't get it because I originally pre-ordered the wave, but ended up canceling it given Gunslinger Spawn was a Target exclusive, and in my head I was like, "it's either all or nothing". Ultimately, I'm glad I went against my "better judgement" and got this one because I can't get enough of it, and especially at the price I got it at. Here's a video review of the figure for those interested, because in all honesty the pictures above don't do it justice.

One thing I will say that bothers me a lot that extends to other big figures outside of Spawn within the McFarlane brand is the base; it's too small, comically tiny. Sure, most figures of the size of this one can stand nearly unassisted, but for top heavy figures a base this small won't cut it—figures of this stature need a base that's adequate and proportionate to their size. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that thinks like this...I hope.

I have a love/hate relationship with model kits, but I spotted this one while at Walmart during a random visit. Funny thing about it, I was coming out of the toy aisle and tripped over my feet, which led me to spot the box, noticing the Impala. I thought it was a collectible toy car from afar, but ended being a model kit, which I almost didn't get had it not been for the fact it was the only one, plus being a fan of the series made it an easy pick up, too.

Picked this one up during the same visit I got the Impala model kit, and what made getting it a treat was the fact it was on clearance. The best part about it is that a week before getting it I was at Walmart running an errand and spotted the figure while perusing the electronics aisle where the collectibles area is at, and thought about picking it up, but didn't when I saw it was $39.95; I though, "I like Spyro, but not enough to spend $40 plus tax". But hey, things worked out in the end.

This bad boy is by far one of my best pick ups of the lot, not only because of the price I paid, but because of the waiting game I played to get it. Last year during October, Walgreens stocked up on these at $29.99, but unfortunately they weren't in the best shape; I went to three different store locations, and they were all in the same condition. Naturally, for me at least, I wasn't going to pay $30 plus tax for a figure in a beat up box, so I decided to let things simmer and come back and see after a week or two, which of course meant they all sold out. One day during December I went to the Walgreens near where I live where they had one left, but still at $29.99, and with part of the back of the box torn off; I held it for like a minute or so and after drawing a blank, I put it back and left the store. A week or so later during another visit, I checked the toy aisle to find the figure was still there and marked down to $2.99, and that was it—game set, and match. To further sweeten the pot, I had rewards points accumulated, so in the end I pretty much got the figure for "free".

Here's more McFarlane goodness...not really. The guy is a pioneer, especially when it comes to action figures and its market, but as a fan I can't help feeling underwhelmed with his new line of Spawn figures, because while they undeniably have the look, they feel cheap. And by cheap I don't necessarily mean shoddy, but they lack character, soul, the spark that made his classic line stand out from the rest; they look exactly like what they are: a mass-marketed product. The only reason I got this figure was the price—it was cheap, as in one digit cheap. Take a look at the pictures I included above, the difference in character and quality is night and day—3D model vs. clay sculpting. I could pick figures from the original line from series 1–8 that have more personality than this one, flaws and all. What made McFarlane a juggernaut back in the day was the fact he didn't compromise, every figure had intricate detail, superb paint apps, and a sculpt quality that was above the rest, and that's what I miss; I don't do photo ops with my figures, and I'm no longer the little kid that used to pose his figures around his room, so I don't really care about articulation, much less if it means sacrificing the feel and quality of the figure. The majority of the new figures that have been released so far, including the upcoming wave, are a hit and miss for me, with maybe a few exceptions, like the aforementioned Violator. Fortunately I'm not alone feeling this way, as I've read the same critique from others, and not only regarding Spawn, but for the other franchises within the brand as well. It's crazy to think that once upon a time this guy left Mattel because of quality issues, which led to start his own company, yet here we are years later.

I was at Walmart checking the collectibles aisle, which was nearly empty by the way, and stumbled with this one; it was the last one, so I pretty much got it on impulse. I would've preferred the blue version, but then again, the suit used in the movie was originally brown, so +1 for accuracy, I guess.

...And saving the best for last, this wholesome foursome that I got from GameStop of all places. After looking aimlessly for the 7in 2-packs, I got tired and gave up; Walmart.com seemingly never stocked them, and the two Walmarts near me have a poor selection of NECA-related figures, and what little stock they have they have priced through the roof—the Raphael/Michelangelo, Splinter/Shredder, and Oroku Saki/Hamato Yoshi 2-packs were $71 the last time I was there, about a week ago from today. I decided to put this in the back of my mind and just let them "come to me", so to speak. So, one day out of the blue I noticed GameStop.com had the 1/4 scale figures for pre-order, and ended up finding out through BBTS that NECA was doing a re-release of the whole line, which also included Shredder and the Foot Soldier, excluding Raphael (In Disguise). These figures have been my white whale since their original release years ago, so after contemplating it for a couple of days and concluding that if there was a time then that was it, I jumped at the opportunity and pre-ordered them. Almost 8 months since then and I couldn't be happier. Granted, this was the most expensive figure-related purchase I've made so far, but it was worth every penny.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 09:05:45 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!