Author Topic: Category/Platform Requests 2.0  (Read 38089 times)

tripredacus

Re: Category/Platform Requests 2.0
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2020, 09:15:06 am »
Microsoft has always been terrible at naming things.

Do we call it Xbox Series or Xbox Series X/S?

« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2020, 09:24:18 am »
Microsoft has always been terrible at naming things.

I would say Xbox Series, there is an implication there may be future models in the Series series.   ::)

I think the official designation is "Xbox", but that obviously doesn't work.

dhaabi

« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2020, 11:50:58 am »

The Series S is a more consumer-friendly model with it not having a disc drive altogether yet plays all of the games intended for the Series X—so, in this sense, it's similar to the Xbox One/S/X, PlayStation 4/Pro/Slim, and the like. Since there won't be any Series S exclusives, I'm not so sure if a category named Series S to be named is all too appropriate.

I would say Xbox Series, there is an implication there may be future models in the Series series.   ::)

I think the official designation is "Xbox", but that obviously doesn't work.

This may be the best solution. And yes, Microsoft is on record for saying that their upcoming console should aptly be named simply Xbox. They sure do make it easy for their audience.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 11:56:27 am by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2020, 12:00:29 pm »
OK so since the Xbox Series S does not have an optical drive, there would actually not be any physical releases for it, correct?

Now if you want to be renaming the digital categories to remove the X, I can see that, but not the physical categories besides hardware and accessories.

« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2020, 12:17:03 pm »
OK so since the Xbox Series S does not have an optical drive, there would actually not be any physical releases for it, correct?

Now if you want to be renaming the digital categories to remove the X, I can see that, but not the physical categories besides hardware and accessories.
Like I said though, the implication is that there will be other non-X Series models down the line.  We can leave some of the categories as X for now, but we'll need to change them if that ever occurs.

Personally, I think it makes sense to set them all as "Xbox Series".

Note: It also gets further confusing in that there is implication that some releases will be branded as "Xbox" and will run on both Xbox One and Xbox Series X, put it in X1 and it runs the X1 version, put it in XSX and it runs the XSX version.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:24:33 pm by ignition365 »

dhaabi

« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2020, 12:37:58 pm »

Correct. So is the idea for the Xbox Series S and Series X to each have their own respective hardware categories under a broad Xbox Series category? I think that decision would solve a lot of complication problems instead of having the umbrella category being named Xbox Series X.

Note: It also gets further confusing in that there is implication that some releases will be branded as "Xbox" and will run on both Xbox One and Xbox Series X, put it in X1 and it runs the X1 version, put it in XSX and it runs the XSX version.

I've already run into this issue while attempting to add new entries for the Series X. The physical cases label the games as both Xbox One and Series X titles, and I really just wasn't sure what to do. Create the entry for both categories? Create only one entry under Series X, since the game was built for it and is a part of the upcoming ninth generation? This problem is entirely caused by Microsoft for simply naming their ninth generation only to be regarded as Xbox, as we've both mentioned already. Xbox isn't a just one system now—it's a multi-generational brand. Of course, this is nice for overall accessibility, but, in terms of categorizing, it's so confusing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:47:05 pm by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2020, 09:36:23 am »
What physical games have been released so far?
WWE 2K Battlegrounds is an XBox One game, but has a note it can be used on an Xbox One X
Are there any releases yet that had similar transitional branding to those XBox One / Xbox 360 games?

I don't think we should care if/when MSFT rebrands the console at a later date.

dhaabi

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2020, 10:58:07 am »
Well, for the games announced so far that have been added to VGC, we can see such examples with these three entries. However, after reading your note about WWE 2K: Battlegrounds, 184815 may need to be edited to be listed as an Xbox One item. The former two titles brand the games simply as Xbox with Xbox One capability listed underneath, whereas the latter is branded as Xbox One with Xbox Series X capability underneath. So, I suppose that top branding would be the definitive detail to determine which category such items belong in?

tripredacus

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2020, 12:03:43 pm »
Well those three are stock photos. We'll have to see what the actual thing looks like when it gets released.

Add this to the list of reasons why we should not add physical games to the db that do not yet exist.

tripredacus

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2020, 09:39:10 am »
Added missing rating request to first post for ACB M15+ (Australia)

dhaabi

« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2020, 12:20:34 pm »
I'm not sure if it's been suggested elsewhere outside of this thread, but has the genre Compilation been put into consideration before? There are so many entries that would benefit from such categorization than what many of them have now as Other.

telly

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:29:32 am by tripredacus »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2020, 09:29:54 am »
New category for 1 entry?

ACB M15+ has been added by admin.

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2020, 09:33:49 am »
Technically speaking there are two different CN regions.  General Asian and Chinese.  Chinese releases are region locked.  General Asian releases aren't.  But I don't think this is necessarily relevant to the topic at hand.

tripredacus

« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2020, 09:37:59 am »
Oh definately. We tend to treat the [CN] categories to be catch-all for SEA that isn't Japan or South Korea. Especially since the two main areas of releases are in China and Hong Kong, and Hong Kong technically being part of China.