Author Topic: The General E3 2019 Discussion Thread  (Read 8807 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: The General E3 2019 Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2019, 05:22:59 pm »
Didn't care about ubisoft's at all at least it felt short.

EDIT: since ubisoft couldn't get John Wick they got his dog instead
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:57:03 pm by redblaze57 »

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2019, 08:20:29 pm »
Limited Run Games Conference 2019: A-

Funny enough, Limited Run Games might actually win E3 this years. Whether or not you want to count their conference considering it wasn't really a conference, or that they aren't one of the big players in the video game industry is fine, however their conference was good enough where I felt it mattered in the grand scheme of E3, especially this year which has been incredibly underwhelming so far.

So it's no surprise that LRG is just publishing physical copies of digital only titles and retro games on modern consoles, however what was surprising to me was the quality of those games they're planning on publishing over the next year. I was genuinely excited to see games like Corpse Killer, Turok 1 and 2 remastered, Red Faction, and all those classic Lucasarts Star Wars games get announced for physical release. LRG has really come a long way since I first heard of them back around 2016 when they were mostly publishing throw away indie titles. Now, they are getting seriously large IPs and allowing them to be purchased physically for modern audiences which definitely is a huge win in my book. Of course there is their business model that's still problematic, however I appreciate them leaving more games up for preorder rather than printing them in limited batches. The reason they didn't get a perfect score is because they still do publish quite a bit of mediocre crap, however there were enough great looking games, both ones I mentioned and several others that really have my attention!

And to top it off, a Shenmue III Limited Edition is being printed exclusively for them. I know there is some controversy around this given another Limited Edition is being distributed via the Kickstarter, which hasn't even been revealed yet as to what this will look like, however from the details of both it's clear that this is it's own separate thing. And being the huge Shenmue fan I am, I need this! I have been refreshing LRG's Twitter and their page all day trying to find details of when I can grab this. I am determined to get it, and I imagine it'll be one of the fastest selling items they've released to date. I will be ultra pissed if I miss it. But anyhow, this announcement only made me enjoy their conference even more, and it will be a tough act to follow given we're down to only two more conferences at the time of me writing this.

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2019, 08:24:44 pm »
Ubisoft's 2019 Conference: C+

I will come right out and say I'm not a big fan of Ubisoft or their IPs, and I honestly only watched in hopes they'd show off more of Beyond Good and Evil 2. Sadly they did not deliver on this and I was forced to watch over an hour of gameplay and trailers for series I don't give two craps about. However, I am not so self centered that I can't appreciate that these games might appeal to others and there was enough there that I felt someone who did like these franchises and Ubisoft might have found their conference appealing. They seemed to buck the trend this year of big publishers holding a lot back in order to save more for when Sony and MS announce their new consoles, announcing some pretty big games that will presumably be coming out this generation. Given my lack of interest in Ubisoft that's about all I have to say on their conference. Luckily we have two of my most anticipated conferences left before E3 2019 comes to an end.

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2019, 10:33:05 pm »
Square Enix was the best general event for me I feel.  Final Fantasy 7 Remake looks absolutely awesome and damn am I excited for it.  The gameplay in particular looks amazing.  Avengers also looks and sounds great, but they didn't show actual gameplay which was real annoying.  It's supposed to be playable at the event, which is crazy that they didn't show any proper gameplay.  They also announced a Final Fantasy 8 remaster which I'll check out, and I think Outriders could be cool.

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2019, 10:34:04 pm »
Square-Enix 2019 Conference: A+

This is what E3 is all about; getting gamers hyped out of their minds for games they've been waiting a long time for, and getting them excited with new games that have never been revealed before. That is exactly, to a T, what Square did tonight! Holy hell, that was an amazing show! It was just this non-stop, rapid fire assault of amazing reveal after amazing reveal! The last time I remember getting this excited over an E3 conference was back in 2015 with Sony, where they shocked the word by finally revealing a release date for The Last Guardian, revealed FFVII Remake, and revealed Shenmue III, a game that many thought impossible to ever happen. In some ways Square's conference tonight was the fulfillment of part of that amazing 2015 conference where we now have gameplay and a release date for FFVII Remake, which is now officially my most anticipated game right now.

I fanboyed so hard during the FFVII segment of the conference, especially during the Tifa reveal. The game looks absolutely incredible and it's hard not to imagine having an impact on the JRPG landscape of today like it did back in 1997. While we do not have all the details, it seems as though Square has perfectly modernized the game while keeping it true to the original, all while enhancing it even more. The fact that this game is on two bluray discs too blows my freakin mind! I am so insanely hyped for this game right now I can't even!! Lol and that was just the first game.

This conference truly had something for everyone; whether it was DLC for other popular Square games, localized ports of classics we've wanted in the west for years, or brand new IPs and titles, there was just so, so, so much! I have to give them special recognition for giving FFVIII the remaster treatment too as it might be the most criminally underrated FF game of them all. Holy shit, I am so happy and excited right now for the next year of Square releases! This might be the end of this console generation, but Square is not going to let it go out quietly!

Nintendo is going to have to have an incredible show tomorrow, and I mean amazing in order to match that. Even if they don't I look forward to it. Even if they end up dropping the ball, it won't matter thinks to Square's 2019 E3 Conference :)

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2019, 06:07:34 am »
Agree to disagree about Square.  I don’t care about Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, or JRPGs in general, and Avengers was pretty underwhelming.  Worst show of E3 so far for me.

telly

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2019, 10:06:15 am »
I haven't been following E3 at all this year since I'm out of town so I appreciate these mini reviews you're doing Biking :)
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

mark1982

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2019, 11:46:29 am »
Nintendo is coming up in about 15 mins ;D

Hopefully we get more footage on Link's Awakening, and maybe some Banjo, seems like some buzz around that? One can only hope :'(
  l    l 

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2019, 11:50:05 am »
Nintendo is coming up in about 15 mins ;D

Hopefully we get more footage on Link's Awakening, and maybe some Banjo, seems like some buzz around that? One can only hope :'(

Banjo coming back to Nintendo in any way is my current big hope for the show lol

tripredacus

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2019, 12:12:58 pm »
This is the first year that twitch has been blocked at work, so I haven't been able to watch any of it. Probably for the best, I wasn't really as interested to begin with since Sony wasn't going to be there. I guess I only cared about watching the trailers anyways.

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2019, 12:45:24 pm »
I was overall pretty underwhelmed by Nintendo's direct, but getting Banjo-Kazooie in Smash was joyous and wonderful and we got a tease for the Breath of the Wild sequel, so I'm very happy with that.  The show wasn't bad at all, it just personally didn't have a ton to excite me other than some more Astral Chain gameplay which looks cool.  I was tearing up with BK though just a bit, I was so happy lol I really hope we can see BK come back to Switch game wise.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:59:53 pm by kamikazekeeg »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2019, 12:55:30 pm »
No More Heroes 3... Fuck YES!!!

mark1982

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2019, 01:04:53 pm »
Haha, Banjo's design for Smash looks great - Here's hoping for a Banjo Amiibo in the near future! ;D

l    l 

mark1982

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2019, 01:09:39 pm »
Speaking of Amiibos - New ones just announced, Gotta get that Dark Samus, Richter & Link for sure!

l    l 

mark1982

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2019, 01:23:27 pm »
And of course that megaton sequel announcement... Well, looks like we heading back to Hyrule.

Looks like the corpse of Ganon is getting resurrected, very interesting..
  l    l