Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 62571 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2023, 07:55:34 am »
Freevee's Jury Duty is a long term elaborate prank show that is made special by their perfect choice of a mark in Ronald Gladden.  He's so affable and friendly that everything they throw at him rolls off his back and he genuinely like all of the people in on the con - and they like him.

dhaabi

« Reply #391 on: June 28, 2023, 08:46:24 am »
Freevee's Jury Duty is a long term elaborate prank show that is made special by their perfect choice of a mark in Ronald Gladden.  He's so affable and friendly that everything they throw at him rolls off his back and he genuinely like all of the people in on the con - and they like him.

Um...I—uh—I-I-I-I also am racist.

« Reply #392 on: June 29, 2023, 08:51:19 am »

Um...I—uh—I-I-I-I also am racist.

Smaller jumps, James.

« Reply #393 on: June 30, 2023, 05:04:02 am »
The Rig: Season 1 - Ended up watching a random show because I couldn't figure out what to watch.  Idea for this seemed interesting enough and the show was overall fine.  Decent bit of drama about a crew on an oil rig that ends up dealing with a mysterious event that cuts them off from the rest of the world.  I wasn't sure where it would go and I'm mostly fine with where it went.  Has a pretty clear environmental message that comes across a little ham fisted in places, but the cast is good, some of which I remembered from Game of Thrones and luckily this isn't a canceled show I stumbled across, like when I found "The River" and was like, "This is cool, I wonder when it's getting another season" and it turned out to have been canceled two years before I watched it lol

I think I was drawn to this because it was about an oil rig, of which I've played the game "Rust" a lot, and there's an oil rig to get to in that and I thought a story centered on one could be interesting.  Was sorta the reasoning I might watch Black Demon, which is a giant shark movie that I think is generally set on an oil rig lol
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 05:06:19 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #394 on: July 05, 2023, 08:42:09 pm »
I watched the two released season of Yellowjackets.  Totally wild show.  Great first season, but the writing takes quite a dip in S2.  The start and end are really good, but the middle has totally idiotic writing involving a police investigation and completely forgets about the previous season's story with one of the leads.  Great characters and performances all around, but it was very frustrating.

« Reply #395 on: July 09, 2023, 04:19:32 am »
My Adventures With Superman: Episode 1 - Normally I don't do just a single episode, I try to wait for more to binge, but it's free on youtube right now and I wasn't to see what they were giving us and it's pretty good.  It's really nice having this old school feeling Superman that I don't know if we've had since maybe the 90's animated one? You got Clark, Jimmy, and Lois as interns, Clark is just learning the extent of his powers as they begin to take shape, and it's all well animated and fun. 

So much Superman stuff for awhile has been animated movies with the more serious and darker stories with him in it like Injustice, or the Death of Superman, or some big end of the world Justice League sort of thing, or you have the recent dark Snyder takes on Superman, and this one is just trying to go back to that classic Clark Kent/Superman dynamic and I think that's going to be a fun time.  It's sorta what the upcoming movie is sounding like it'll be too, which I'm all for.  Give me color, give me humor, lighten Superman back up, I'm cool with that.  I hope the rest of the show is good.

« Reply #396 on: July 11, 2023, 06:52:37 pm »
Still plunking away at Finished Murder, She Wrote.  Season 8 ended with a genuinely sad episode followed by one with the most hateable victim I can remember from the show.

PlutoTV finally started airing Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and I've probably watched 2 seasons worth in the last week.  I've been reminded of just how handily it is my favorite Trek series.

Mrs. Davis is a totally wild mini-series about a nun who has been tasked with finding the Holy Grail by an AI from Damon Lindelof. Really wacky and fun and surprising.  Definitely worth checking out.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 10:02:17 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2023, 03:58:55 am »
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - Haven't rewatched this since it aired, but I still think it's a great show.  I think it was made specifically because of the popularity of Attack on Titan, the same studio making that taking the opportunity to create their own show in a similar vein and I think they made a pretty solid show with a cool setting.  I still think as a show that it needed two seasons, one season that was more dedicated to the former town surviving for a time on the train, and then the second dealing with the events of Biba.  That might just be me as someone who enjoys post-apocalyptic survival stuff and we don't really get more than a few episodes of that before Biba's stuff show up.

Love all the design ideas for the show though with the cool steam powered trains and steam tech, the walled cities, and I like a unique zombie, so having them turn extra strong with a focus around their glowing metal-like encaged hearts as a focus for attacks is pretty cool.  I do wish it got another season or another movie, which would let it explore more of the story as they kept teasing stuff with the one stone.  Would be a nice way to wrap the show up.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 04:20:12 am by kamikazekeeg »

telly

« Reply #398 on: July 18, 2023, 09:35:58 am »
I've been watching The Leftovers recently. Still only on season 1, I know that season 2 and 3 are very different. But I must say, even though I'm only on episode 7, this might be my favorite television series.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #399 on: July 18, 2023, 06:05:56 pm »
Mike Judge's Beavis & Butt-Head on Paramount+ is so damn good. I hope there's more to come but for now it seems like it may be done to switch focus to King of the Hill.

« Reply #400 on: July 19, 2023, 02:12:08 am »
Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead - This is only for the first two episodes that have been out, but as a sucker for zombie stuff, I was looking forward to this one.  The idea of someone being HAPPY for the zombie apocalypse, not because it would let them go crazy and ignore all morality and become a monster, but because they are on the verge of killing themselves in their job, so the zombie apocalypse lets them quit work and have a chance at enjoying life lol

It has a really fun art style where everything going on, including the bloody gore is just blasted with color, making it feel like it's the apocalypse by way of Splatoon lol I think it's gonna be a fun show.

« Reply #401 on: July 21, 2023, 03:05:26 am »
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood - Needed something random to watch and figured I might rewatch most of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, short of the newest arc which I have the other half to watch.  This was always my least favorite arc, and it continues to be my least favorite.  The dub might not help things, I don't think anyone really knows how to do a British accent in the show, it's very cheesy, it feels like a bad stage play or something lol This arc still wouldn't be super great in Japanese either, animation isn't the best at times, and the characters aren't the best.  Jonathan is kind of a boring guy compared to every one to follow, this isn't the Dio everyone loves, Speedwagon is mostly just there to be like "Oh my god, this is happening!", Baron Zeppeli is kinda okay, but he's only around for a few episodes.  There's also not a lot of those quirky characters that kinda defines Jojo as the show goes on outside of like Jack the Ripper and the two resurrected knights.

I know the next arc is a step up with like Joseph being all wacky, the Pillar Men, and some of the other characters that show up, so looking forward to it abit more.  Really excited to get to Stardust Crusaders as that was always my favorite.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 03:07:23 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #402 on: July 26, 2023, 05:22:25 am »
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency - Huge improvement over the first part, like across the board.  Better animation, the characters are way more fun, the Pillar Men are a crazy threat, it's super ridiculous and what you will see from Jojo from here on out.  Dub is better too, I mean, it's cheesy with accents, but I thought it was still better lol Joseph is an absolute prick, but he's so wacky, he's just way more entertaining than Jonathan.  I forgot how it feels like they sorta...almost positively portray the Nazi's in this, like it starts out as them being obviously bad, but then it's just them working together, and Stroheim is like a friend of Joseph, Caesar has a Nazi buddy...I mean it's not exactly positive, I guess they treat it more neutral, just weird on a second watching lol

Great part though, Stardust Crusader is next, which was my favorite part in the past, so we'll see if that still rings true.

« Reply #403 on: July 27, 2023, 01:37:47 am »
Secret Invasion - Yeah this was boring.  Nick Fury having his own show and it being a spy thriller isn't a bad idea and it's been setup enough over the movies to make it work, but this isn't an exciting spy thriller, especially with knowing what this story is based on, it feels lacking.  There's a little bad writing, the ending is kinda crap as it feels like it undercuts the more grounded feel of the entire show and is only there to connect with part of the comics story, there's missed opportunities, and the justification as to why none of the superheroes, or even just regular heroes are brought in to help, is weak at best.

I can be very forgiving of the MCU as it has been lately...for the most part...I'm easy to please, but this feels like they did all this work bringing the Skrulls into the MCU, setting up stuff, and then when it came time to adapt Secret Invasion, they just had no story.  They had a crude outline utilizing what happened in the comics, but couldn't think of any interesting way to utilize it.

Skip this, it's not worth watching.  The more I think about it, there's a chance this plays into maybe the next Captain America perhaps, but I still can't recommend this show, it's just too underwhelming.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 04:18:53 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #404 on: July 31, 2023, 05:21:33 am »
Baki Hanma: Season 2 - This is the kind of show that anime is made for.  Something so insane, so absurd, that it could never be made in real life because it could never recreate the type of visuals and story a show like this does.  I didn't think this anime could get more ridiculous after the previous season, and I knew this plot was coming, but it is absolutely wild.  A caveman from prehistoric times (Yes, they point out how this changes all known scientific thought on the subject of humanity), who was somehow hilariously preserved perfectly in salt all this time, just to be revived in the present day in a time period full of the craziest, strongest, fighters today.

This season is almost horrific with some of the violence that happens.  It's actually been interesting to watch this season and how the series has progressed from the first show they did, where it had a lot of kinda crappy CG going on, mixed with animation, to shifting to the next season that had less CG and more well rounded animation, to there being almost no CG now.  I almost feel like the animation can be kinda limited a lot of the time here, but the actual art is so good and anime knows how to sell unmoving shots so well, it still feels so action heavy because of it.  Not that anime's haven't failed that before, the first season of Record of Ragnarok is pure and utter garbage with how little action animation is there in the fights to the point that I stopped watching.

A sidenote, I love the voice actor for Baki in the English dub, he actually doesn't have a lot of lines in the show for the most part, he almost feels like a side character at moments, but how he voices certain lines were just the best.  He's perfect for the character.  That being said, there was an error or two in the dub, as twice the narrator said that Pickle (The cavemen, yes it's silly), was 6'5", which hilariously wrong, because Pickle is like 2 feet taller or more than most people.  He's actually like 8 foot tall, but they kept saying 6'5", which would make most everyone else in the show not even 5 feet tall lol

Just an absolutely absurd season for sure, honestly a little messed up with a thing or two they do, but it is a show that doesn't hold back.

Also, I say this is in the most non-negative way possible, but this was the most homoerotic season of anime I've ever seen lol And in a show like Baki, that's saying a lot lol
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 05:36:01 am by kamikazekeeg »