Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59842 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2020, 09:12:13 pm »
I started a series called Stan Against Evil.  It’s a super low budget, low stakes version of Ash vs. Evil Dead.  It’s fun and short and John C. McGinley is good.  The sheriff is played by Janet Varney, who voiced Korra.  It’s disposable, but entertaining.

Finished all 3 seasons.  Law of diminishing returns hit this one hard.  Still getting at least one good laugh per episode, but got pretty repetitive and predictable by the end.  Too much ignorance when characters should have known what was going on right away.

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2020, 09:28:36 pm »
Really knocking stuff out with this Social Distancing:

Castlevania Season 3
Archer: 1999
American Horror Story: 1984

Adventures of the Gummi Bears Season 3
Kingdom Season 2

Really dig all of them - except Gummis.  Just watching that out of habit.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:03:05 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2020, 05:05:19 am »

South Korea is just killing it with their zombie stuff these days.  Both Train to Busan and Kingdom are great.  I just finished Season 2 and by the time it ended, I could've gone with more episodes, that's how much I wanted it to keep going.  That said, they really aren't dragging the show out at all and doing more than like the 6 episodes wouldn't have made it any better.  It's a tight story that knows what the plot is and everything is in service to that, so it doesn't feel like how much of a mixed bag Walking Dead can be.  I do recommend it though if you want some zombie media with some different and unique flavor.  Setting it in the 1500's of Korea really does a lot for it in terms of visuals and the kind of drama it brings.  I don't even have any real gripes with it other than some small little issue I felt I had related to the zombie infection itself, but it's very minor and doesn't hurt the story at all.

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2020, 11:58:50 pm »
I liked S1, but S2 was great.  My biggest issue would be with the cliffhanger ending.  I thought for sure it was over and would have been very satisfied.

Legion Season 3.  More consistent than S2, but still not even close to the quality of S1.  Was still a hell of a trip to watch, though.

« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2020, 06:50:22 am »

Ended up binging through Tiger King on Netflix, hearing a lot about how crazy this documentary was, and it lived up to it, like if this was a regular tv show, it would seem absurd and exaggerated, but its all real and it's ridiculous.  It's infuriating at how bad everything was for people and how creepy things could get.  It's just insight into something you never really heard about.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:56:09 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2020, 09:31:10 am »
Went through all 3 seasons of Broadchurch this week.  First one was brilliant, second fell off quite a bit, but the third rebounded some.  The Brits sure do know how to make a murder mystery.

« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2020, 07:35:47 am »

Been going through all 6 seasons of The Blacklist since about mid-February and finally finished with it.  Season 7 is out there, but being that I'm not gonna watch it live on tv and that the second half of the season is delayed because of the virus, I won't be watching for it awhile, but will whenever it comes to Netflix. 

Overall I enjoyed the show.  There was some weak points here and there, I think it was Season 4 or 5 where there were some wonky conclusions and issues with the writing, but it never was enough to tank things.  Honestly some of my biggest reasons for staying was because James Spader is just a treat, I could listen to him kinda talk about anything lol The cast continue to be good and you did see them grow and change as things went on, which is good and while it's not the most amazing show in terms of action or effects, I kept wanting to see more of the overarching story and see where things lead our characters. 

I would recommend it if this is the type of cop/crime drama you like.  A comparison might be like CSI or NCIS, where there's a criminal to be stopped every episode, but this show is more than just that since there's usually something else bigger involved going on, which makes it more interesting than those shows, but it kinda operates in a similar way.

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2020, 09:21:18 am »
Happy! S2 finally hit Netflix.  It’s definitely more bizarre and gleefully violent than S1, but it is also more disjointed and not as engaging.  Based on the content of the show I’m not surprised it got cancelled.

Binged through all of Toast of London.  Quintessential bizarre British sitcom.  Matt Berry is great in it, but the joke does kind of start wearing thin by the end.  Worth a watch if you are into British comedy.

« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2020, 12:20:15 am »

I've been watching the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh! off and on for the last several months. Following my obsession with Pokemon in the late 90s and early 2000s, Yu-Gi-oh! filled that void of childhood fad for me for about a year, during which i got really into the card game and also watching the anime. It was during this time that the first season was airing, and while I wasn't as into it as the cards the anime was based off of, I still remember enjoying the first season or at least what I saw of season 1.

Sadly, not even nostalgia was enough to allow me to enjoy this show, as Yu-Gi-Oh! is honestly one of the worst animes I've ever watched. Not only is the plot extremely basic and stupid, but it doesn't even follow the rules of the card game its based off of. I can forgive the latter, but the fact that the plot is so lame made getting through the 50ish episodes of the first season difficult to say the least.

While watching season 1 realized how many episodes of it I hadn't seen as a kid, probably around half of them actually. On top of that season one oddly doesn't end with Yugi defeating Pegasus in the Duelist Kingdom, but rather several episodes after that when he takes on a little girl and then a guy who plays a dice game that might as well have nothing to do with the Yu-Gi-Oh card game. I'm guessing this might have been the western end of season 1, but still it just seemed very odd to me.

Sadly the only parts of Yu-Gi-Oh I enjoyed were the first few episodes where the characters are introduced and where Yugi defeats Kaiba, as well as a few select battles after that, including the rematch of the aforementioned duel. Sadly not even the nostalgia I had for Yu-Gi-Oh as a kid/teen could allow me to enjoy this show outside of those select moment.

Unfortunately I don't see myself watching anymore Yu-Gi-Oh beyond what I just saw, and sadly I don't imagine I'll ever rewatch any of Yu-Gi-Oh again. There are parts of our childhood and past that are sometimes best left in the last and I can safely say that the Yu-Gi-Oh anime is one of those things.

« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2020, 09:39:12 pm »
S2 of Castle Rock was way better than S1.  More focused and far less Abrams mystery box nonsense.  Lizzy Caplan was great as Annie Wilkes.  Kinda fumbled across the finish line by dropping several plotlines without a lot resolution.  Still enjoyed it quite a bit overall.

« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2020, 07:05:21 am »
Like so many others Tiger King.  What a trip that was.

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace is a very different beast than The People vs. O.J. Simpson, which was probably a good idea.  It's far more slow burning and contemplative, generally telling its story in reverse.  Great performances all around, but it does drag a bit in places.

« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2020, 02:39:06 pm »
Future Man Season 3.  A pretty decent bounce back after a mediocre S2.  Shorter season made the pacing way better.  It was never a great show, but the performances were always pretty funny.

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2020, 07:58:31 pm »
Really been cruising through TV shows.

Black Mirror Season 5 was a real step down.  Same with Big Little Lies Season 2, but it at least still had stellar performances.

But before those I watched the entirety of Baskets with Zach Galifinakis and Louie Anderson.  It was pretty incredible from start to finish.

« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2020, 05:16:33 am »

Watched the first season of Happy! on Netflix and I liked it.  It's fucked up and weird, but everything about the show works primarily because of Chris Meloni.  He is just reveling in this crazy role of an ex-cop who has lost his shit, at the end of his rope, doesn't care if he dies, and then he's brought in to help find a daughter he didn't know about with the help of her imaginary friend.  I had seen stuff on it for awhile, but never took the interest, but I dug it and I like when it gets kinda crazy with its surreal and stylized moments.  Tonally, I would say it's like The Boys, but sorta less serious.  It's still very violent, kinda disturbing, but the characters are all a little more ridiculous and over the top.

Gonna watch the second season, though I know they cancelled it afterwards.  If it does well on Netflix, I could see it come back perhaps.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 05:23:15 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2020, 07:58:38 am »
Meloni has already moved on to another show (an SVU-spin off returning as Stabler), so if it does come back it will be a while.