Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59877 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #345 on: September 23, 2022, 10:04:03 pm »
The first season of The Terror is a very cool and interesting story, that could have stood to have been maybe 2 episodes shorter.

« Reply #346 on: September 25, 2022, 03:20:23 am »
Anyone else watching House of the Dragon? 

When it started I was really down on it.  Likely because I hated the last 4 seasons of GoT.  The farther it goes the the more I find myself really enjoying it.  I'm super worried about the next time jump though when the actresses will be replaced.

« Reply #347 on: September 25, 2022, 08:57:28 pm »
Sins of the Mother is a good, yet disturbing doc about a woman who likely killed her children, but shouldn't have been released yet because the trial hasn't happened yet.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #348 on: September 25, 2022, 09:00:54 pm »
I watched the first episode of Rings of Power, I got about 45 minutes in, was bored to tears.

« Reply #349 on: October 01, 2022, 06:57:41 pm »
The newest season of The Orville is really good, but it bums me out that it got so serious.  I liked it precisely because it wasn't as grim or bleak as Discovery and Picard. The episodes are mostly too long as well, with most episodes having pacing issues with loads of dead space that could have been edited out.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 07:09:21 pm by Cartagia »

telekill

« Reply #350 on: October 02, 2022, 09:34:56 am »
I've always enjoyed stop-motion movies and shows like Wallace & Grommet or Shaun the Sheep. I'd often watch both with the kids and still do. Recently, I've been getting into the Laika movies. I've seen most of them and enjoyed what I've seen.

Last year they came out with Laika editions of a few of their movies and I bought Coraline for the Halloween season. I bought Box Trolls last month and finished watching it with the kids last night. I think I'm going to buy ParaNorman this week for the Halloween season as well, but this is the one I haven't seen yet.

Their other two are on my list to buy as well; Kubo and Missing Link... with the latter being a favorite. Apparently their next movie is called Wildwood and will release next spring or summer. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

telekill

« Reply #351 on: October 02, 2022, 09:38:18 am »
I liked it precisely because it wasn't as grim or bleak as Discovery and Picard.

Dude, I know what you mean. I'm a huge fan of Star Trek from the Next Gen era (Voyager and DS9 included) and I was pumped for Picard. I watched the first season and was so pissed by the end of it that I've written off all modern Star Trek. They took the hope of humanity's future, showing that we should strive to be the best of ourselves and how to do that, and they decided to take a big fat s**t on it. For all intents and purposes... they killed what made Star Trek so great. If I ever get the itch, I'll be watching what's existed since I was a kid up through the last of the reboot movies.

« Reply #352 on: October 02, 2022, 06:08:07 pm »
I don't think that there is inherently anything with Trek going dark.  There are aspects of both Disco and Picard that I think only work because of where they went with the story, I just think they go to that well too often, and in the case of Picard S1, goes overboard in the violence department.  Now that Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks are way more lighthearted the niche The Orville filled isn't as empty, but it's the niche I prefer.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 09:54:41 am by Cartagia »

telly

« Reply #353 on: October 03, 2022, 08:47:02 am »
Right now we're taking the lighthearted route and watching a combination of Classic Scooby-Doo and the new season of The Great British Baking Show.

Also watched the first episode of Game of Thrones. I've been reading the books since January (on book 4), and have been interested in watching the TV series since HotD is getting a lot of discussion on Twitter. First episode was fine, definitely lacking in the effects and setting, which I've been told gets a lot better as the show's budget improves. Not sure when I'll get around to watching the rest of the series.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #354 on: October 07, 2022, 05:18:48 pm »
Finally wrapped up Season 6 of Murder, She Wrote, which saw the introduction of the infamous "bookend" episodes.  You can definitely feel that the show is starting to run out of steam (and still has 6 more seasons to go), and while I don't hate the idea of having Jessica introduce stories that don't actually involved her they are very hit or miss in the quality department.  I'm going to take a little bit of a break before moving on to S7.

Finally getting around to watching She-Hulk and I *love* it. Exactly what I've been wanting from these D+ shows. Fun, low stakes, episodic stories that doesn't go overboard with melodrama.  Favorite MCU offering in ages.  Tatiana Maslany is a treasure.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 07:06:37 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #355 on: October 15, 2022, 11:02:13 pm »
I've re-watched Bly Manor.  That show is so perfectly crafted, easily Mike Flanagan's best work.  Also re-watched Midnight Mass, which is also excellent, right up until the final episode where it and everyone's intelligence falls right the fuck off a roof.  Those first 6 episodes though are so good, it really makes me sad it ended with such a poorly thought out "happy ending".  Watched the first episode of Midnight Club (Mike Flanagan's new thing) and it definitely has the Are You Afraid of the Dark? vibe going.  Wasn't terribly interested but it's Flanagan's work so I'll at least finish it.   

« Reply #356 on: October 26, 2022, 09:39:47 pm »
Season 4 of The Sinner is a huge turnaround from a massively disappointing Season 3.  Still not as good as the first two seasons, but it was nice to see it rebound in its final one.

The third season of Star Trek: Lower Decks isn't as riotous funny as the first two, but is still very solid.  They've been walking the line of irreverent/ serious so closely it was bound that the scales would tip in one direction eventually.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 11:53:04 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #357 on: November 07, 2022, 04:14:25 am »
She-Hulk - This is just goofy, light-hearted fun.  It's pretty different from the usual MCU shows and I think that makes for a pretty chill watch.  It has an ongoing story, but is generally it's own thing every episode and the bit of 4th wall breaking is a little extra spice thrown in.  It's not amazing, but it's some good fun.  I'd probably put it in the upper half of the MCU shows so far.

« Reply #358 on: November 08, 2022, 09:47:53 pm »
Watcher - Naomi Watts was stellar, the show is gripping beggining to end. Leaving the viewer not knowing who it could be. The watcher honestly could be anyone from the daughter to you reading this and the director conveys what it feels like to be the husband. And it's filled with energy that you can feel through the screen - 95/100

« Reply #359 on: November 09, 2022, 08:07:39 pm »
She-Hulk - This is just goofy, light-hearted fun.  It's pretty different from the usual MCU shows and I think that makes for a pretty chill watch.  It has an ongoing story, but is generally it's own thing every episode and the bit of 4th wall breaking is a little extra spice thrown in.  It's not amazing, but it's some good fun.  I'd probably put it in the upper half of the MCU shows so far.

That's exactly what I liked about it, too.  It was nice to finally get something from the MCU that remembered it was enough just to be fun.

I've watched the first three seasons of Veep.  It starts off pretty ok and has been getting better with literally every successive episode.

Veep continues to get better with every episode until it peaks at the end of season 5.  Season 6 is roughly the same quality as S5, but a bit more inconsistent as they're trying a lot of new things.  S7 is the first legitimate step down, as it everything just gets a bit too outlandish, but this comes almost exclusively from the fact that it is the only season written after the 2016 election, and it had to compete with the new absurdity of American politics.

Cabinet of Curiosities - One great episode, one good one, one decent one, and the rest just OK or worse.

Andor - Holy hell this was good.  Maybe the best Star Wars content Disney has put out.  Close call with Mando S1.

The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window - Solid-ish parody of the Gaslit Woman Mystery Genre.  I love how straight it plays the joke, and the touches of absurdity, but it's a balance that would have worked better in a 90 minute runtime, not an 8 episode mini-series. Back half is better about it than the first.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:18:50 am by Cartagia »