Author Topic: Record-Style Game Shelving Feedback  (Read 2070 times)

Record-Style Game Shelving Feedback
« on: September 09, 2019, 05:35:01 pm »
I recently saw a tweet from @TheLordReylus where he had switched from a standard game shelf display for his switch collection to one that used bins on a shelf that gives it more of flipping through records vibe. I personally find some appeal in this design and like that it adds some more space, but not sure how well it would work with other game cases. I wanted to know if anyone here has done this, and if so, what do you think of it? Do you feel this is tacky or unnecessary?

Before Pic:

After Pics:

Here is the original tweet:
https://twitter.com/TheLordReylus/status/1170493160470003712

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Record-Style Game Shelving Feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 06:07:47 pm »
I’m not mad at that. It looks kinda cool. It’s different than everyone else’s “Wall ‘o’ Games”

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:20:40 pm »
Oh, I've stored my games in that style/a similar style (lidded boxes) for years now. It's a great space saver & makes for an interesting 'organized chaos' kind of shelf appearance (as opposed to the library style of traditional storage).

Sizing can be tricky, but not nearly as difficult as you might think- there's a myriad of media storage boxes out there designed to hold most game cases, and if you're creative about where you look, other sizes can be had fairly easily. I keep my loose genesis & N64 carts in boxes from Dixit board game expansions. My Sega CD games are in now-discontinued Ikea shoeboxes. My Saturn stuff is in boxes from Michael's Arts & Crafts- they're a smidge too wide, but that extra space is great for imports in standard jewel cases. Actually, a lot of the Michael's décor boxes work well for games, provided you aren't being picky over what's printed on them (you can always cover it with stick-on vinyl sheets.)

One thing you do lose with this method- since you can maximize the shelfspace for actual games, you won't be putting many figures & knickknacks in front of said games. So, if you intend to have such thing out, you'll need to plan for them!

Flashback2012

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:20:56 am »
I kind of do this now with my Switch games. My entertainment center has four bays at the bottom with three of them big enough to hold crates. In one of the crates I store my Switch games and have them in two rows, artwork facing me and lined up almost alphabetically. I was doing this for my XBOX One games but got to where there were more titles than the crate could hold so they got tubbed.  :P

thewelshman

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 11:42:16 am »
My entire collection has been stored in plastic bins since my son was born and my office was turned into a nursery. Within the next few months we are installing a "built-in" desk and shelving for all of my books and games, so seeing people's shelving ideas and setups are helpful, and honestly just fun to see. I need to start getting measurements to figure out how I want to store it all since I have a ton of Vita games and don't like seeing a ton of empty space above them on a shelf.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 06:56:27 pm »
While amiibos and toys look nice, if I had a choice my video game shelving unit would contain only games since you can't really do anything except look at toys or figurines. Me personally I don't care much for eye candy, but that just me :-\

and what happens if you want more games, than chances are your toys get tossed into storage than if you keep them it becomes clutter
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 07:57:51 pm »
I think this guy is onto something. I've grown a bit tired of the spines and ends labels on a shelf look. I've been trying to come up with alternatives. I really like when you can see the covers, as oppose to the spines. If only I could find or build some kind of tiered shelving, so that at least part of the cover on each game could somewhat been seen. Or at the very least, make some of the titles entirely visible while giving the rest the spine treatment.

I think it just looks better when you set certain things out to really be viewable, instead of the archive style of lining them up where nothing stands out. Something that can accommodate the sheer volume of games I have, and still look good, will be tricky.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 11:02:35 pm »
I think this guy is onto something. I've grown a bit tired of the spines and ends labels on a shelf look. I've been trying to come up with alternatives. I really like when you can see the covers, as oppose to the spines. If only I could find or build some kind of tiered shelving, so that at least part of the cover on each game could somewhat been seen. Or at the very least, make some of the titles entirely visible while giving the rest the spine treatment.

I think it just looks better when you set certain things out to really be viewable, instead of the archive style of lining them up where nothing stands out. Something that can accommodate the sheer volume of games I have, and still look good, will be tricky.

For doing select covers showing, sticking with library style is best. Get some plate holders to  keep the forward facing titles out (or rose colored gaming stands if you're up for it.)

For keeping partial covers showing, you could modify some tiered spice racks. Just get a lip around the bottom of each tier, maybe some extra support on the back.

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 07:29:13 pm »
In all honesty, no improvement was made (personal opinion, of course). The “sifting through games as if they were records” I feel is more of a novelty than anything practical – perhaps it would work wonders if you’re trying to set them up for a sale. The standard way that most everyone organizes their games with the spines facing forward, I feel works tenfold since these provide the most basic information needed for whatever game you’re looking for; its name. I believe, while mundane, this is the best way to organize your games, especially if your intention is to play them. You can always sprinkle your shelves with a bit of game-related décor, or take some of your favorites or most priced games [gems] and display them with plate stands. This is something I began doing when collecting comicbooks.

Now, if you’re a collector first and relegate playing your games, then yeah, maybe this could work; but even then I feel there are better ways to display your collection if you’re just a collector. There are plenty of options when it comes to display cabinets that could work great for displaying a collection, specifically for those rare, expensive, Holy Grail games, which I feel is what most people do when it comes to showing off their collection anyway (not just for video games).

With that said, the way the games are organized in the middle row in the last picture works better than how they are in the first. As mentioned above, for displaying games he would certainly benefit from getting some plate stands instead of opening the cases.

But hey, to each their own, as they say; we all organize to our own liking – we're all a world apart at the end of the day.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

ffxik

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 09:15:44 pm »
It's alright.  I'm not a fan of shuffling through bins like this.  I prefer to go across the spines so I like the uniqueness of it, but I'll stick to "wall'o'games" lol.

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 09:56:10 pm »
I like the way that the cubed shelving can be used to divide up the games, rather than having them all lined up. You can use a setup like that to better organize or categorize games. I usually like to sort my games by genre, developer, or release date. So I think if you're going to go that route, then the cube style of the shelving definitely lends itself to that quite well.

I'm having a tough time deciding if I want to do a large cube shelf type of setup, or floating shelves. I'm just not a fan of having anything below knee level. Down there it's rarely seen and only attracts dust and debris buildup being near the floor. As much as I do like these cube style setups, as of now it seems I'll probably go the way of floating shelves.

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 07:14:47 am »
I'm having a tough time deciding if I want to do a large cube shelf type of setup, or floating shelves. I'm just not a fan of having anything below knee level. Down there it's rarely seen and only attracts dust and debris buildup being near the floor. As much as I do like these cube style setups, as of now it seems I'll probably go the way of floating shelves.

Yeah, I will give you that; I don't particularly like that about tall floor shelves. Not only will dust and debris accumulate with ease down there, but if you have pets you run the risk of them doing stuff you don't want them to. Thankfully I keep my room closed, so I don't have this problem, but I've known of cases where dogs have peed on games or outright taken games out and literally shred them to pieces.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!