Author Topic: Classic gamers in Boston  (Read 1764 times)

Classic gamers in Boston
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:15:27 pm »
Hey I was wondering if anyone had any groups or meet ups for retro gamers in Boston. I don't drive, so it's a pain for me to get out to some of the stores in Massachusetts, and since I commute via the T I don't have too many options. I'm also a student at UMASS Boston, but I haven't found a club for gamers. So if there is anyone out there that has a meetup in Boston or is a gamer at UMASS Boston that is looking to possibly start a club, please let me know.

matt

Re: Classic gamers in Boston
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:12:19 pm »
I'm not from the area but I do know that almost all colleges, big and small usually have some sort of gaming club. They usually aren't really organized and in typical gamer fashion people come and go. Looks like you may have to start one!

amauriel

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:31:43 pm »
I doubt that any of the guys here are from the Boston area, since Ronalopolis and I were the only ones that went to PAX East from here and we live in Ohio.

However, I'd be cool for meeting any of y'all when we go to PAX East next year.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

scott

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:36:35 pm »
I think I'm gonna be planning on hitting PAX next year. It looks like a good time. And since I missed out on my one chance to go to E3, this would be the next best thing. haha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:52:44 pm »
I think I'm gonna be planning on hitting PAX next year. It looks like a good time. And since I missed out on my one chance to go to E3, this would be the next best thing. haha

I'm so down. I smell a VGCollect meet up!.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 11:12:20 am »
Hey tmagtuna,
I just started a Facebook group for Retro Gaming in the Boston Area. Check it out:
http://www.bostonretrogamers.com/

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:40:59 am »
PAX East?!

Where, when, and what (exactly) is it???

I'm on the east coast...and if Amauriel & Ronalopis can make it there - maybe I can too (seeing as there *is* only one state in between the state that I live in & the one that they do)...

...Although, anyone's else who's experienced the "Pleasure" (that "pleasure" being) the *joy* of 'traversing' the length, boredom, and the straight-up *Monotony* (also known as driving *Across*) the wide, wide state of Pennsylvania - from East to West (or vice-versa)...knows well, that it *IS* one hell of a state to drive across...

Haven't done it in ages, but, if I'm remembering correctly, I'm thinking that it was somewhere between 6 and 8 hours to enter PA on 80...and enter Youngstown (OH); also on 80.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 03:24:14 pm »
PAX East?!

Where, when, and what (exactly) is it???

Pax is a gamer convention run by the guys from penny-arcade.com. Its not just video games but all aspects of gaming. There are 2 Pax's a year (3 if you count the developer pax) Prime and East. Prime was the first and his held on the west coast and East is in Boston. The entire weekend feels like you hanging out with 70,000 of your best friends you didn't know you had the pax slogan is "Welcome Home" and it really does feel like your coming home to be with your friends for 3 days. http://prime.paxsite.com
"My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up."
     Setzer  FFVI

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 04:29:29 pm »
Thanks...I think that would be a 5-6 hour drive for me (I'd have to double-check that, though).
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »

I'm so down. I smell a VGCollect meet up!.

I'm totally down for that. Would be super cool to meet some of the folks on here face to face and bullshit all day long.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

amauriel

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 07:51:04 pm »
I actually did a meetup with some girl gamers at the last PAX East. The best way to meet up is to go down to the handheld area (there's a big hallway with just a bunch of bean bag chairs for playing DS/PSP/3DS games) and play a few games or hit the complimentary trollies and go get lunch around Boston. Also would probably be good at the tabletop/board game area. Meeting new people and then walking through the expo hall to try to get the swag that each other has really doesn't work very well.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."