Author Topic: Dangerous Console Video Games We Have Encountered  (Read 3477 times)

Re: Dangerous Console Video Games We Have Encountered
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 08:20:12 pm »
Demo arrived.  First PS2 wouldnt read it.  Second PS2 did.  Successfully formatted memory card with corrupted data

You should post your find on YouTube or at least maybe someone else on here that wants to. Because that can help someone, with a defective memory card, and it gives purpose to an otherwise dangerous PS2 game :o

Now can the memory card still save new data ok?
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 10:21:46 am »
Demo arrived.  First PS2 wouldnt read it.  Second PS2 did.  Successfully formatted memory card with corrupted data

So it DOES work! Oh that's good to know- I always thought that disc could be a valuable tool for collectors/retro stores that might need to fix a corrupt card!

theflea

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2020, 06:24:27 pm »
There are several games on PC that can damage your computer, there's also a homebrew cart that people make for the NES that all it does is destroy the console.

There is also a Japanese Dreamcast game that has a computer virus on it if your stupid enough to put it in your computer.

Good to know about this demo disc if I come across it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 06:25:59 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2020, 06:41:20 pm »

So it DOES work! Oh that's good to know- I always thought that disc could be a valuable tool for collectors/retro stores that might need to fix a corrupt card!

Makes me wonder if the memory card format would work on a virtual PS2 memory card using a 60GB PS3.

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 09:56:03 pm »
There are several games on PC that can damage your computer, there's also a homebrew cart that people make for the NES that all it does is destroy the console.

There is also a Japanese Dreamcast game that has a computer virus on it if your stupid enough to put it in your computer.

This is good advice, yes some old PC games will actually read as malware on a newer windows OS, but at the same time I did not have any anti-virus software growing up in the 1990, (and my PC ran just fine) yet when I connected to the Internet on a more modern Windows Operating System, (Windows XP and later) some of the newer malware programs will block older PC games

even though my computer worked just fine without anti-virus in the 1990's as long as it was not connected to the internet

later on in the year 2000's with an offline Windows XP I however did get malware, that used to somehow corrupt any CD-ROM disc left inside the computer for a long amount of time for some reason

Makes me wonder if the memory card format would work on a virtual PS2 memory card using a 60GB PS3.

(edit) You should be able to just delete your virtual memory card off your PlayStation 's harddrive if it's corrupted on a PlayStation 3 no problem, I think you are safer playing PS2 game on a fully backwards compatible PlayStation 3 then on a PS2 for this reason. :-\
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:32:34 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 08:25:22 pm »
This is good advice, yes some old PC games will actually read as malware on a newer windows OS, but at the same time I did not have any anti-virus software growing up in the 1990, (and my PC ran just fine) yet when I connected to the Internet on a more modern Windows Operating System, (Windows XP and later) some of the newer malware programs will block older PC games

I've heard of the Dreamcast game before, and it's far worse than OS issues... the original disc was compiled on a computer that (unknown to them) had been infected with the Kriz virus- a particularly nasty fellow that spread through your files, waited for Christmas Day, then started deleting- including essential operating functions & corrupting the BIOS. In short- it would destroy your PC. Since the original developer machines had the virus, they inadvertently printed it into the data on the game disc- specifically a screensaver file. Anyone who installed the screensaver risked killing their machines.

Of course, when they figured it out they re-issued the disc, but these days? You have no way of knowing if you've got a bad disc or not. Especially if you live overseas, where the importers would be less likely to be aware of the issue & tell their customers about the recall.

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 11:29:08 pm »

even though my computer worked just fine without anti-virus in the 1990's as long as it was not connected to the internet

later on in the year 2000's with an offline Windows XP I however did get malware, that used to somehow corrupt any CD-ROM disc left inside the computer for a long amount of time for some reason

(edit) You should be able to just delete your virtual memory card off your PlayStation 's harddrive if it's corrupted on a PlayStation 3 no problem, I think you are safer playing PS2 game on a fully backwards compatible PlayStation 3 then on a PS2 for this reason. :-\

I realize that. It's just something I would like to try out which I can once my demo copy from Ebay arrives.

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2020, 02:36:29 pm »
The following was a public conversation on another thread, I did not want to de-rail the conversation but I would like to know more about a Limited Edition  re-release game cartridges' for the Super Nintendo apparently called  The Return of Double Dragon, (causing fires) I never heard of this game mentioned until now, but I figured this is the best thread to talk about this. If this is true, I believe it is true, and it makes me wonder how this could happen upon normal usage.

It sorta makes me not want to buy anymore used cartridge games for any price, and Amazon is currently selling the game in question below for about $42 USD. Imagine spending money on a game that you don't know has known issues as a fire hazard. quick online research on this is giving me no further information on this. I would like to know more, since this is a public forum I hope nobody minds me asking this, I could have asked on that thread, but it would have de-railed the topic

https://vgcollect.com/item/149397

(edit)Also another game cartridge known to cause a fire
"new street-fighter-2-snes-cart"

https://vgcollect.com/item/136493

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-street-fighter-2-snes-cart-being-released-but-/1100-6453012/
- Answering to @Cartagia

The Return of Double Dragon for SNES that was released a few years ago is a limited edition that can catch fire?

I mean, yes?  We're those Gremlins that exploded when rear-ended or those Galaxies that had their batteries explode not official?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:38:34 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED