Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge 2020  (Read 43115 times)

Re: 52 Games Challenge 2020
« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2020, 01:26:49 am »
40. Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3)

I love the idea and cross over in this game; being able to play as Tekken characters in a Street Fighter-like game is something that I drooled over when I first heard about this game years ago, and in execution its a thing to behold. However, this game is more MvC3 than it is Street Fighter, which isn't necessarily a bad things, but when combined, and having a confusing gem system thrown into the mix the gameplay does suffer for any of the aforementioned titles. I did enjoy this game, however it also just felt kinda boring at times and I was ready for it to be over by the time I reached the final boss in arcade mode. Visually the game looks very nice, borrowing heavily from Street Fighter IV in the looks department. However audio is sort of meh; it does have an appropriate, upbeat soundtrack, but no tracks particularly stuck out to me and it mostly just sounded generic. I did, however love the stage design, especially how many stages change between rounds. This reminded me of old KOF games and I really appreciated that attention to detail. Overall this is a decent game to throw in from time to time, however it's definitely lacking compared to all the games that were cannibalized to create it. (8/18/20) [31/50]

« Reply #211 on: August 19, 2020, 03:06:38 pm »
41. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

I've played this game off and on since it came out and each time I remembered having a decent amount of fun with it, so I decided to pop it in and play it with a more objective eye. This game feels, plays, and looks like I'd expect the sequel to one of the most well known, famous and awesome fighting games ever made should. However, it seems to have half the charm and appeal of that game, much of which I feel is a product of how much the video game industry has changed in recent years. Gone are the ability to unlock new characters and stages, and instead everything is there for you right from the start. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does kill my desire to replay it. Other than that I feel very mixed about the character roster in this game. On one hand I appreciate the interesting and obscure characters on both the Marvel and Capcom side that were included; however many of those odd ball characters, as well as more well known newcomers like Thor and Felicia just didn't do it for me. The stages are mostly pretty cool in this game too, but again, I really prefered the odd, somewhat random stages from MVC and MVC2 more. Gameplaywise this game plays and feels very similar to the previous two games with the most noteworthy exception being the X system which allows you to go super charged briefly which helps when you're in a bind again your opponent. Overall this is a pretty fun game, however if you have access to either of the previous two MvC games just play those instead. (8/19/20) [36/50]

« Reply #212 on: August 20, 2020, 04:05:29 am »
27 - Battletoads (PC 2020) - BEAT - I had no real plans to get this game, but I still have the Xbox game pass on PC right now, so I figured I'd give it ago.  I almost dropped the game within the first 45 minutes or so, because it wasn't really clicking for me.  The combat is fine, it's maybe the least interesting part of the game, the humor wasn't doing much for me, and the art style never really becomes anything all that enjoyable (It's not bad in itself, it's just not what I wanted to see for Battletoads).  But I made it through and after Act 1, the game started to pick up.  Also this game I don't know if I'd consider really a beat 'em up.  It's like 40% beat 'em up, 60% minigames and other genres.  It has stuff that reminds me of the newer Rayman games, it has the bike sections, it's a 2D platformer, there's a straight up twin stick SHMUP part of the game.

Overall, I generally liked it, the game got better after the first hour, and I even laughed abit at later parts, but I wouldn't recommend running out to get it in particular.  If you got the Xbox Game Pass, give it a go, that thing is saving me a lot of money, because otherwise I would've never played this game lol

Thinking of playing Streets of Rage 4 next, so that I can get more of an actual Beat 'Em Up experience.

dhaabi

« Reply #213 on: August 20, 2020, 11:17:32 am »
10. .hack//Infection || PlayStation 2 || 08.16.20

Having been familiar with the .hack series since the PlayStation 2 era itself, I only recently decided to look further into what the series is all about. And, on a whim, I purchased a bundle of the first three installments for a great price! Despite the admittedly sub-par dungeon-crawling gameplay experience the original series has to offer, it was exactly the kind of gameplay that I needed to experience at the time! As the series presents itself as a fictitious MMORPG, the gameplay tries to replicate early-2000s MMORPG gameplay as much as it can. So, needless to say, this area is lacking. However, something about the degree of open-endedness toward exploration that the game offers appealed to me, and I hope that I did experienced the bulk of what the initial entry has to offer. Can't wait to begin .hack//Mutation!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 12:02:19 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2020, 11:11:15 am »
42. Marvel vs. Capcom (Dreamcast)

I've been on a big fighting game kick recently, and I may or may not be preparing for a new youtube video soon...but anyhow, I've had the opportunity to go back and play some amazing fighting games that I either haven't played extensively or haven't played in years. Marvel vs. Capcom falls into the latter category as growing up I played the hell out of this game. I rented it several times and I still remember that it was the first game I ever controller raged so hard at I actually broke a controller. MvC is an amazingly good fighting game even to this day, however I've come to several realizations while playing it. For one, the game shares way more in common with its predecessors Marvel Super Heroes, Xmen vs Street Fighter, and Marvel Super Heroes vs Street fighter than it does its direct sequel. This is absolutely no a bad thing at all, however what makes me sad is I realized I didn't like it as much as some of its predecessors despite how good it is. Visually this game is incredible, and it has my favorite roster of games of the mentioned Capcom versus games...except MvC2 of course. I will always love this game, just not as much as I used to. (8/20/20) [36/50]

43. Capcom vs SNK (Dreamcast)

This game definitely is one of those that I had limited experience with. Despite owning it for probably close to ten years I just never really got around to playing it much, and in fact the most I've played it at any given time was at an anime convention where it was available in the con's game room. Before getting into my thoughts on CvSNK I do want to say that I kicked complete ass at that convention and destroyed every person that came up against me, including one salty weeb that accused me of cheating lol. But anyhow, CvSNK controls and looks just as good as you'd expect a 90s Capcom fighting game too; in other words amazing! However, the games issues seem to stem mostly from its limited gameplay options, ratio system, confusion and strange menus, and it just not being on par with the games I mentioned in the MvC thoughts above. Still, this is definitely a great game and definitely worth playing for any fan of the Capcom Versus series and 90s arcade fighting game fan. (8/20/20) [35/50]

telly

« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2020, 10:28:11 am »
Game 29 - Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution (PS4) - 41 Hours

When I found out that the enhanced version of Legacy of the Duelist was coming to PS4 after being on the Switch for a while, I was really excited. I had been going through some of the older Yu-Gi-Oh! games on the GBA and DS, and was looking forward to exploring the modern era of this long running card game.

One of the other things I was looking forward to playing through was the story mode, which was missing from the older World Championship Games. You just play through the anime arcs, but because I never watched the show, it was a new story experience for me. By the end of the game though, I was barely paying attention to the story. The presentation is really flat and basic, with static characters and little action or animation to keep things interesting. Just lots of text to read through.

I played through the campaign using the story decks, which for the most part was a fun and challenging way to play. It was frustrating that some of the story decks lacked important tools like spot removal, effect negation, and overall attack power. But, it's nice that you can also use your own pre-made deck if you don't want to use the story decks.

Overall, the more I progressed in the campaign, the less fun I had. Modern Yu-Gi-Oh! is an extremely complicated game, and by the time you get to the Zexal arc, every deck is a new archetype with like 50 words of effect text per card, and I have to take like 15 minutes to read every card and figure out the synergies, which cards aren't worth playing, my extra deck options, AND do the same thing for my opponents deck. Combine that with over 10,000 cards, and complicated summoning mechanics like Pendulum and Link, it overall makes for a very impenetrable experience for a new player like myself to get into. That all being said, the over-complexity really isn't the fault of this video game per se, but the card game as a whole. The eternal format that Yu-Gi-Oh! has supported for almost 20 years have ultimately made power-creep and feature-creep spiral out of control, and this game feeling like a chore towards the end is just the end consequence of that. I could have also mitigated this issue by using my own personal deck, since exclusively using the story decks means you're always learning new archetypes that go with a particular character.

Outside of the campaign, there are some other challenges, draft leagues, and online multiplayer to keep yourself playing for a long time after you finish the story. I did miss the puzzle, theme and limitation duels that were in the older games, especially since I didn't even bother trying to play online with how frustrated I was getting towards the end of the story.

Lastly, the game as a whole plays well. It's very slick and works great, with only the occasional slowdown. Making a deck and sorting/finding cards is really easy (which is good considering how many cards are in this game). However, actually obtaining cards was a little more frustrating than I would like. You get cards by buying packs, but each pack has a 300+ card pool for you to pull from, which makes actually getting the card you want a total crapshoot. And without any information on pack breakdown or the passcode system (like in previous games), it makes identifying and pulling a choice card you want almost impossible.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:38:46 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

telly

« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2020, 10:28:24 pm »
Game 30 - Final Fantasy IX (PS4) - 48 Hours

This was an interesting game for me. This was probably the last classic, universally acclaimed FF game that I hadn't played through, and there were many reasons why I was looking forward to the experience. Being the last game directed by Sakaguchi gives the game probably the closest definition to "Final Fantasy" out of the whole series. And while I haven't played through many of the SNES and NES games, this entry feels like the definitive old-school FF experience that both calls back to and takes a wonderful introspective look at the legacy of those older games.

The game definitely has a very nice art style and graphical design. This 2017 version also looks very clean and sharp. The developers also added some helpful tools like battle assistance and speed up, which was a nice inclusion for those that needed some extra assistance.

The story definitely felt like an older Final Fantasy game overall, but did have some of the more serious elements from the PS1 games, and it felt like the perfect combination of the two. I did have some gripes, however. I felt like much of the main story elements are back-loaded in the last few hours of the game in the Hill of Despair, and the final boss after Kuja, Necron, is introduced and then killed off in a matter of minutes. That said, I found this game's story to be an overall enjoyable experience.

Character-wise, I definitely think that these are the strongest group of characters out of the entire series when taken as a whole, though there were still some that I didn't like. Quina and Amarant were definitely my least favorite, and their reasons to join you were flimsy at best. There are some really good characters that have some great development, especially Vivi and Garnet. The side characters were also great too (Cid, the Tantalus troupe, Beatrix, too many to count). I wasn't the biggest fan of the villains though (already mentioned Necron); I found Garland to be a much more interesting character compared to Kuja. Kuja also has some very unsettling and weird character design as well, with the man-thong and all.

The combat overall felt familiar yet fresh, using the tried and true ATB system with a very streamlined and trim equipment and ability system that was strategic and engaging. Not a whole lot else to say on that front. I had two complaints however; the first is that the game runs incredibly slowly, with some serious lag between character actions during battles. The second was the way Trance was implemented. It's funny how FF7 and 10 were the only games to get the limit mechanic right. Because you enter Trance as soon as the bar fills up, you can't strategize around when to use it. If you don't want to attack with that character, or the battle ends, it gets completely wasted. Really squandered potential in my opinion.

The side content was overall mixed for me. I didn't do all of it, but there was some stuff I loved and some stuff I hated. My favorite was definitely the Chocobo treasure hunting. Least favorite was Tetra Master by far. There are so many problems with Tetra Master, which are:

- The explanation of what the numbers on the cards do were excluded from the tutorial, which was confusing
- You can't see your opponents cards unlike in Triple Triad, so you can't strategize how to play around your opponent's strengths and weaknesses. It means going first is completely disadvantageous, as you have to commit your first card completely blind, and your opponent will get the last move when all the cards have been laid out
- None of the cards you collect have any use outside of the game unlike in FFVIII
- Placing a card that is better than your opponent's doesn't always guarantee you a win. You can still lose your card because the game implements a random feature during the battles. It's absolutely infuriating.

Normally I wouldn't complain too much about a game like this if Tetra Master was only side content and left as is. The problem is that the game is presented as side content at first, but then a card tournament is sprung on the player as a required obstacle in the story in order to progress, which is unforgivable. Thankfully I was going for the trophy so I had a decent collection at that point...

The music is where I find my opinion diverting from others. It's no secret that Nobuo Uematsu requested help with FFX's soundtrack because of an understandable feeling of burnout, and while I found this soundtrack to be good, unfortunately I could feel that exhausted, worn-thin mental state creeping into much of the music in this game. A lot of the music felt very uninspired, or a worse version of previously composed music. Obviously not trying to knock Uematsu, because he's an absolute genius, and I do think the soundtrack is good, but in a crowded field of excellent Final Fantasy OSTs, "good" only gets you so far. It's definitely outside of my top 5 soundtracks in the series.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:35:15 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2020, 06:02:56 am »
29 - Fortnite (PC 2017) - ENDLESS - So I'm just randomly playing this now.  I don't have any real issue with the game, for some folks it's just the popular game to hate on, I just never got into it because I never liked the "Fort" part of the game.  I like building to get up to another level and destructibility of stuff, but some people are just so good that you'll pop them and they'll have a brick skyscraper surrounding them in about 3 seconds and just makes the game not fun because then it's just about who can build better most of the time. 

I actually enjoy the general third person shooter gameplay with some of the goofy stuff it does, all the wild characters and it's had some fun crossover stuff.  The new season has Marvel stuff again, which is what drew me in, so if I decide to grab the battle bass, I can play as She-Hulk or eventually Wolverine or Iron Man if I get that far and that's kinda cool.  I jumped into the Rumble mode, which isn't a BR mode, it's team based action with a kill count and it's actually kinda fun.  I might play that more than the normal mode other than you can only do some of the Marvel event stuff in the regular game mode.  Enjoying myself though and will probably play it for abit, at least through this Marvel event.

That being said...my first solo game back in like 2 years? 1ST PLACE, BABY! With almost no building, I won! Eat it all you 13 year old kids and also Ninja! KING OF FORTNITE, RIGHT HERE!

telly

« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2020, 09:57:14 pm »
Game 31 - Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PS4) - 4 hours

This was a short but sweet Metroidvania with some really nice 2D sprite art and gameplay. The environments are really beautiful with some nice level design, and the combat is fun and satisfying. Unfortunately it's not a very deep experience, with only one movement upgrade, like 3 weapon upgrades, and some health upgrades, it altogether isn't nearly as deep and complex as something like Hollow Knight or Ori and the Blind forest. Same story was with the narrative, which didn't really go anywhere, with minor characters being introduced and finished off in a matter of minutes. Overall not a bad experience at all though!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:47:34 am by telly »
Currently Playing:

dhaabi

« Reply #219 on: September 02, 2020, 12:01:38 am »
11. Little Nightmares || PlayStation 4 || 09.01.20

I remember being super impressed with the original teaser trailers for Little Nightmares when it was still known by its previous title Hunger. Having gotten a hold of a copy of the game when it released over three years ago, I played through for about an hour or so but then set it down and simply never picked it back up. And what a shame too! Little Nightmare's world is something I enjoyed deeply, as there are so many questions left for the player to simply guess for answers. I'm sure the DLC chapters fill in some of the answers, so I'll definitely be picking those up sometime soon. As for its actual gameplay content, it was fine—certainly not the greatest. However, I'm sure that most people interested in Little Nightmares play for the atmosphere, which is something it definitely excels at. The characters you meet as the player—and even the player-character too—are interesting to question about and to watch on-screen. As someone who enjoys horror but is admittedly not the most able to play the genre, Little Nightmares gave me enough to be scared of, albeit mostly in the form of stress from avoiding the enemies you encounter. I have high hopes for the game's sequel which plans to debut next February!

telly

« Reply #220 on: September 02, 2020, 07:39:37 pm »
Game 32 - Star Fox 2 (SNESc) - 3 Hours

I counted this game as beat once I beat the hard campaign. The Normal campaign was very easy, and I beat it on my first try, so I did the Hard campaign as well to get a little more challenge.

+

This game takes a very different direction compared to the first Star Fox, with the more strategic movement and decision making regarding which target to attack first. It's cool, and a fun way to play. I know a lot of people don't like the way these games look/play, but I love it. It's very cool looking even though it is dated. This game also adds a ton of improvements over the first entry in the series. You get multiple wingmen to play as, rival starships that you have to engage in, and a variety of stages with different objectives to complete. Playing as the walker was kind of cool and some enemies required you to use it.

-

My biggest disappointment was how short the individual levels were. Unlike the first game that had what felt like very long stages in it because it was more of an arcade-style experience, this game's stages felt like they were over in the blink of an eye. In fact, the whole game felt like that, considering how fast it took me to beat the game. I can understand why they held off on releasing this game back in the day because Star Fox 64 is a quantum leap beyond this game.

Currently Playing:

« Reply #221 on: September 04, 2020, 08:08:30 pm »
Gears 5 is pretty solid.  Not as good as 4, I don't think.  However, there's a moment towards the end that felt totally out of place.  Kinda soured me of the whole ending.  Final boss was pretty underwhelming, too.

« Reply #222 on: September 05, 2020, 09:29:23 pm »
30 - Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 (PS4 2020) - BEAT - This was one of those games that I was just hoping to hope that it would actually come out and be just genuinely good and it absolutely was.  It's both the first and second game, with all the series gameplay improvements, combined into one experience that you can play with any characters.  You'll do challenges and just beat levels to unlock xp and money, you can then buy new stuff for your custom skater, and connects both games and the ranked mode tour mode.  I love this compared to just having each game be it's own singular experience, like the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy release, where each one is its own game.  Highly recommend this if you were a fan of the series as it plays great and there's still a lot for me to do even after having completed all the main objectives in all the levels.  I got two secret characters to unlock, there's the special Vicarious Vision logo's to collect in every level, and there's doing all the challenges for each skater to unlock stuff for them, so I'll be playing this game off and on for abit as my casual game.  I really hope the game does well so they can do 3+4 in a year or two.

telly

« Reply #223 on: September 06, 2020, 07:30:23 pm »
A New Record!!

Game 33 - Bastion (PS4) - 10 Hours

With this game finished, I have now beat the most games out of any year that I've done the 52 Games Challenge. And with several months left to go, I'm feeling pretty good about the possibility of even hitting 52 by the end of the year.

+

I thought this game was really good. It weaves a well crafted story with some strong characterization and an incredibly sexy-sounding narrator that ties everything together wonderfully. But it wasn't just the story that was great, the gameplay was fantastic too. Action packed with tons of weapons and variety which gives you lots of options for customization and experimentation. Graphically Bastion has a nice art style and the environments are really cool to explore. Lastly, the music was great, with some really nice vocal bits as well. Overall a solid experience. Might toy around with the New game + to try a different loadout or something (I used the Brusher's Pike and the Duel Pistols).

-

I do have a few minor complaints. I think your character moves a little too slowly, and I had to dash constantly to get any kind of meaningful movement. I swear there was some shoddy hit detection especially when using ranged weapons. Lastly, the game is pretty easy. I had a couple idols on to increase the difficulty, and even then I only died a few times. If the idols weren't available to ramp up the difficulty, then I doubt I would have died at all.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 07:36:03 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

« Reply #224 on: September 07, 2020, 08:25:17 am »
I try to do franchise runs of series that have a lot of games I haven't played each year... For some dumb reason I decided that I would franchise run the Sonic series.  Prior to starting I've only beaten Sonic 1 and 2 on Genesis (via XBLA) and I guess Sonic Heroes (but I'm going to replay that).  There are like 70 games in queue for this.  That number might be off by like 10-20 after I finish making my list and cutting stuff out.

Beat So far
Sonic 1 (360)
Sonic 2 (360)
Sonic 3 (X1BC)
Sonic 1 (GG)
Sonic 2 (GG)
Sonic CD (GCN)
Sonic Chaos (GG)
Sonic Drift (PS2)
Sonic Spinball (GEN)

Up next
Sonic & Knuckles (X1BC)
Sonic Triple Trouble (GG)
Sonic Drift 2 (GG)
Knuckles Chaotix (32X)

Knuckles Chaotix might be where I yield, because I just really don't want to hook up my 32X.