Author Topic: What was the WEIRDEST game you played as a kid?  (Read 9562 times)

faxmachine

What was the WEIRDEST game you played as a kid?
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:07:03 pm »
Out of This World blew my mind as a kid. I had never seen a game like that, and it creeped me out so much. I had no clue what I was doing, but I really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:11:08 pm by faxmachine »

scott

Re: What was the WEIRDEST game you played as a kid?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:19:51 pm »
I never played Out of this World, but I did play Flashback and it was amazing. I'd say most of the games I had as a kid were pretty low key. I can't name one that I would call weird off the top of my head.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

faxmachine

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:31:30 pm »
Same developer, Delphine Software. I have never heard of Flashback. I will have to check that out! I will if you try out Out of This World  ;)

Edit:

Turns out Delphine also made Shaq Fu, lol.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:10:49 pm by faxmachine »

scott

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:05:28 pm »
Ha Shaq Fu, I had that. I'll take it as my Weirdest game ever. It even came with a CD with Shaq rapping on it.  ???

amauriel

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 06:13:22 am »
I'd never heard of Out Of This World until I saw the Game Center CX for it. Posting it here because Arino is hilarious at pretty much every game he plays, and this one is no exception.

"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

psydswipe

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 06:45:28 am »
I'm surprised there are gamers who never heard of Flashback or Out of This World  :o You guys aren't that young  8)

I'm not sure if Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders is weird, but it is strange and one of the funniest games I've played. It's a LucasArts SCUMM game where aliens are undercover at the phone company trying to take over the world using a stupidity machine (lowers the IQ of humans). Some odd things are two of Zak's friends can fly to Mars in their van and a two-headed squirrel makes an appearance in Washington (that's my current avatar). I never did finish the game as it can be challenging, and it's possible to run out of money which happened to me. I took too many flights to the wrong locations which maxed out my credit card. You can win the lottery in the game but after reading a hint guide I still found that to be difficult  :P

Seaman probably counts as weird  ;D I like that game even though it's mostly just managing an aquarium. Unfortunately, I ran out of food when Seaman was only a day or two from being released into the wild so he/it died  :'(

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 08:23:32 am »
i have three

rocket robot on wheels
operation 1998 version
ms pac man maze madness
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:29:04 am by htimreimer »

jcalder8

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 09:05:15 am »
It depends on what you mean by weird. Super Mario Bros is about a plumber who runs in a straight line eating mushrooms and flowers and is continually attacked by mushrooms, turtles and fish.

faxmachine

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:31:34 am »
I never played Out of this World, but I did play Flashback and it was amazing. I'd say most of the games I had as a kid were pretty low key. I can't name one that I would call weird off the top of my head.

Just got back from my first swap meet ever. Pretty good success there, but I wanted to share this with Scott.

The first game I see when I walk in is none other than Flashback in a Renter's box (the cut up the case and put it in a sleeved clear box), with the manual (pretty beat up). I can't wait to try this game!

Proof of purchase: http://i.imgur.com/3nyLt.jpg?1
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:09:46 pm by faxmachine »

scott

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 02:37:14 pm »
Nice, not a bad haul either. That copy of Little Nemo looks like it has been stuck in a game genie for awhile. Ha

faxmachine

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 02:58:30 pm »
Nice, not a bad haul either. That copy of Little Nemo looks like it has been stuck in a game genie for awhile. Ha

Yeah, big time bummer. I am not sure on how to go about cleaning that off. I will research while working. That game takes me back, wow.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 03:15:11 pm »
Decap Attack is one of the strangest I ever played, but it's actually pretty fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvn8FG1-OEw&feature=related
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:16:51 pm by varkias »

faxmachine

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 04:43:51 pm »
Decap Attack! What a weird concept  ???. That is definitely one for the books.

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 04:58:16 pm »
It's Delphine Software. Not Delphi. Sheesh. :P

As for me, probably Earthbound.

faxmachine

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 05:11:53 pm »
You are right, Delphine. Fixed. I still haven't played Earthbound. I remember starting it as a rom ages ago and turned it off when I realized it was an RPG. Soon I will test out RPGs again, I am sure they are great.