Author Topic: Error Listings and rejected edits 2021  (Read 66777 times)

Re: Error Listings and rejected edits 2021
« Reply #525 on: April 20, 2021, 10:29:25 am »
Ref: https://vgcollect.com/item/104532

The reject was due to you trying to put the ISBN and/or UPC into the item number field. And as the edits came through, it showed that you tried to put 9780744016383 into both fields.

Style guide says put ISBN for for barcode, Advanced Style guide says put ISBN in description.

I do not think there is a mixup with the two style guides, if there is, outline it here specifically. If this is about how the original style guide uses two different header sizes making "Barcode / UPC / EAN codes" look to be a sub-section as item numbers, we can fix that.
Yes, I'm aware, I wasn't paying attention that both value were the same until after the fact.  I entered ISBN-13 into Item number on purpose.  Putting ISBN-13 into barcode wasn't explicitly intentional, the barcode lookup website had a barcode so I typed in the value and didn't notice until after I submitted that the barcode they provided was also the ISBN-13 value.

From style guide (Presumably regarding barcodes not item numbers)
"ISBN codes are normally used on books and other products. These can be 10 or 13 digits long. If an item does not have a UPC, then enter the ISBN code"

From advanced style guide
"ISBN is an additional number that can be found on books and some video games. This number can be put into Description and not put into Item Number or Barcode fields."

I am positing that this is not what we should be doing, as well as pointing out the inconsistency.  I propose that If UPC doesn't exist, enter ISBN-13 into barcode.  I also propose that for books/strategy guides that ISBN is a valid value for the Item number field.  So in the case of a book that has UPC and ISBN, Item number = ISBN-13 and Barcode = UPC... in the case of a book with no UPC, Item number = ISBN-10 and barcode = ISBN-13.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:33:37 am by ignition365 »

tripredacus

« Reply #526 on: April 20, 2021, 10:40:56 am »
Both guides are written to consider no difference between games and books. Games are our #1 priority and the site layout is designed for games and there is no consideration for different data sets for different types of items. So books are bound by the game data rules, which is why ISBN can only go into description unless the item does not have a UPC/EAN/JAN.

Ideally, I'd prefer to either have different entry layouts based upon what type of item it is, or have a dedicated ISBN field.

I have modified the highlighted text in the Adv guide as it did not match the original style guide. New text:

ISBN is an additional number that can be found on books and some video games. This number can be put into Description and not put into Item Number field. If an item has an ISBN but does not have a UPC/EAN/JAN, then you can put the ISBN into the barcode field.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:42:52 am by tripredacus »

« Reply #527 on: April 20, 2021, 11:06:41 am »
Both guides are written to consider no difference between games and books. Games are our #1 priority and the site layout is designed for games and there is no consideration for different data sets for different types of items. So books are bound by the game data rules, which is why ISBN can only go into description unless the item does not have a UPC/EAN/JAN.

Ideally, I'd prefer to either have different entry layouts based upon what type of item it is, or have a dedicated ISBN field.

I have modified the highlighted text in the Adv guide as it did not match the original style guide. New text:

ISBN is an additional number that can be found on books and some video games. This number can be put into Description and not put into Item Number field. If an item has an ISBN but does not have a UPC/EAN/JAN, then you can put the ISBN into the barcode field.
I understand what you're saying but that doesn't make a ton of sense to me.  If ISBN does not belong in the item number field, what would go into the item number field potentially for strategy guides/books?

I definitely feel like if there is no valid information that would go into an item number field for strategy guides/books, at the very least we can have the conversation about putting up a vote to allow ISBN values in the item number fields for Books/Strategy guides.  I understand that the values can still go in description, but description isn't a searchable field and ISBN should absolutely be in a searchable field.  No need to add an ISBN field as item number is a perfect fit for ISBN as ISBN is literally an item number "assigned" by the "manufacturer".
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:08:52 am by ignition365 »

tripredacus

« Reply #528 on: April 20, 2021, 12:18:20 pm »
I understand what you're saying but that doesn't make a ton of sense to me.  If ISBN does not belong in the item number field, what would go into the item number field potentially for strategy guides/books?

If the book has an item number, then it would go into that field.
It is easier to have a rule that says ISBN goes into description than to have a ruleset like:

If it is a book the ISBN goes into item number, unless the item has an item number, then ISBN goes into description. If it is a game, the ISBN goes into item number, unless there item has an item number then the ISBN goes into description. If the item has an Item number and an ISBN but not a barcode, then item number goes into item number and ISBN goes into barcode?

You have to think in terms of all items not just games or books. What is the easiest we can make things for people and the current design of the site without having to bust out Visio to figure out where to put the ISBN number depending on what type of item it is.

« Reply #529 on: April 20, 2021, 12:27:51 pm »

If the book has an item number, then it would go into that field.
It is easier to have a rule that says ISBN goes into description than to have a ruleset like:

If it is a book the ISBN goes into item number, unless the item has an item number, then ISBN goes into description. If it is a game, the ISBN goes into item number, unless there item has an item number then the ISBN goes into description. If the item has an Item number and an ISBN but not a barcode, then item number goes into item number and ISBN goes into barcode?

You have to think in terms of all items not just games or books. What is the easiest we can make things for people and the current design of the site without having to bust out Visio to figure out where to put the ISBN number depending on what type of item it is.
I'll rephrase my question.  Do any books have item numbers that are not ISBN values?

It seems to me it should be as simple as "If it is a book, the ISBN goes into the item number.  ISBN-13 takes precedence over ISBN-10."  That's it.  No more is needed if you really want it as simple as possible.  "If there is no UPC, there is no UPC."

To my knowledge... Every book in the DB that has an item number associated to it is displaying an ISBN value.

tripredacus

« Reply #530 on: April 21, 2021, 10:19:48 am »
I'll rephrase my question.  Do any books have item numbers that are not ISBN values?

It seems to me it should be as simple as "If it is a book, the ISBN goes into the item number.  ISBN-13 takes precedence over ISBN-10."  That's it.  No more is needed if you really want it as simple as possible.  "If there is no UPC, there is no UPC."

To my knowledge... Every book in the DB that has an item number associated to it is displaying an ISBN value.

Do they or can they? Magazines and comics have their issue number. Some books have item numbers as well as ISBN numbers. I'm not talking about what is in the database, and we should not think that "this is what is in the database, so it is how it is supposed to go". Heck even just looking at the swag - print media section shows it to be not in compliance with the style guide, many bad pictures and titles and items that are not game related that are in there.

« Reply #531 on: April 21, 2021, 10:44:09 am »

Do they or can they? Magazines and comics have their issue number. Some books have item numbers as well as ISBN numbers. I'm not talking about what is in the database, and we should not think that "this is what is in the database, so it is how it is supposed to go". Heck even just looking at the swag - print media section shows it to be not in compliance with the style guide, many bad pictures and titles and items that are not game related that are in there.
Right, but do Magazines and comics have isbn numbers?  If magazines and comics don't have isbn, it's kind of a moot argument.

And yes, a thought had occurred to me that there could be a company who produces books in a series thus you may have Company-Book# as a sort of "item number", which again I see that as something that would be the reason to not use isbn across the board with our current guidelines.  To which I posit that ISBN should take precedence over the existing item number guideline for books.  But I think that goes into the argument of publisher vs manufacturer.  Publisher decides Company-Book#, Manufacturer "decides" ISBN, ISBN applies to our existing item number guidelines whereas Publisher item number wouldn't.  Like for LRG games, item number is the Sony determine item number not the LRG LRG-### number.  So even applying existing rules ISBN should go in item number over any other number for a book.

tripredacus

« Reply #532 on: April 21, 2021, 11:59:27 am »

Right, but do Magazines and comics have isbn numbers?  If magazines and comics don't have isbn, it's kind of a moot argument.

And yes, a thought had occurred to me that there could be a company who produces books in a series thus you may have Company-Book# as a sort of "item number", which again I see that as something that would be the reason to not use isbn across the board with our current guidelines.  To which I posit that ISBN should take precedence over the existing item number guideline for books.  But I think that goes into the argument of publisher vs manufacturer.  Publisher decides Company-Book#, Manufacturer "decides" ISBN, ISBN applies to our existing item number guidelines whereas Publisher item number wouldn't.  Like for LRG games, item number is the Sony determine item number not the LRG LRG-### number.  So even applying existing rules ISBN should go in item number over any other number for a book.

I think we can just easily make a per-category rule for this, whereas items in Swag Print Media can put ISBN as item number. It would be no different than the rules that were made for other categories where the items being tracked are not what the site was designed for. If you think this would be a good idea, I can put it into the style guide. Since as you say most books have ISBN in their item number already, it would make sense that a vote wouldn't be needed if we make it a category specific rule.

« Reply #533 on: April 21, 2021, 01:09:56 pm »

I think we can just easily make a per-category rule for this, whereas items in Swag Print Media can put ISBN as item number. It would be no different than the rules that were made for other categories where the items being tracked are not what the site was designed for. If you think this would be a good idea, I can put it into the style guide. Since as you say most books have ISBN in their item number already, it would make sense that a vote wouldn't be needed if we make it a category specific rule.
Then I would say yes, but to confirm (Because I'm raring to go create/update a bunch of strategy guides/books) ISBN goes in item number (13 over 10) and only UPC goes in barcode?

tripredacus

« Reply #534 on: April 22, 2021, 09:45:31 am »

Then I would say yes, but to confirm (Because I'm raring to go create/update a bunch of strategy guides/books) ISBN goes in item number (13 over 10) and only UPC goes in barcode?

Correct

« Reply #535 on: April 23, 2021, 06:19:04 pm »
SD Gundam G Generation Genesis for Nintendo Switch [CN]
https://vgcollect.com/item/197611
Submitted a better image of the front box art

Atelier Mysterious Trilogy Deluxe Pack [CN]
https://vgcollect.com/item/197612
Submitted front box art

Neither edit has been rejected per-say, just overlooked

tripredacus

« Reply #536 on: April 26, 2021, 10:29:18 am »

Submitted front box art

I do not know why they were rejected (or not?)
Can you post what image you tried to use?

« Reply #537 on: April 26, 2021, 02:45:38 pm »

Submitted front box art

Sure thing

dhaabi

« Reply #538 on: April 26, 2021, 06:03:16 pm »
Empty

Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... - White Snow Edition
For items such as collector's editions that do not actually include the game, how should they be categorized? While both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions were sold, neither actually include a physical copy of the game and contain the same bonus items. Instead, the game comes packaged individually inside the mailing packaging and is not found inside the collector's packaging. My thought was to categorize this item in Other since it represents all PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions across every region.

Currently, Gal Gun 2 - Free Hugs Edition—which is similar in scenario to White Snow Edition—is classified as Other, although this information is original to the entry. On the other hand, Oxenfree - Collector's Edition currently is placed in Swag - Carrying Cases & Bags, which makes sense on a practical basis but maybe not quite representative of the item in relation to other collector's editions like it.

Nintendo Hachi no Su Game
Are non-video game items relating to video games companies like this allowed? To me, this seems no different than if we were to catalog Sony televisions. There have been a lot of similar entries created recently.

Stealth feat. Wipeout Pure - Stealth Edition
I don't think I've asked about this specific item, but I'm curious--should this be classified as a PSP demo? Its [NA] counterpart is currently categorized as such (from a previous edit of mine), as it includes a demo for Wipeout Pure. I'm not sure what the general guidelines for items like this are. Choose the category that most accurately describes the item based on packaging? (which is very remindful of the ongoing Xbox One / Series X conversation.) The items having CERO and ESRB ratings were big factors as to why I attempted to re-categorize to PlayStation Portable Demo.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 10:53:34 am by tripredacus »

tripredacus

« Reply #539 on: April 27, 2021, 10:44:07 am »
Those are .webp. We only accept .jpg for item images.

Submitted front box art

Sure thing
Code: [Select]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/3dVNQGj/sd-gundam-g-generation-genesis-for-nintendo-switch-english-656367-11.webp[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/9yW3x4C/atelier-mysterious-trilogy-deluxe-pack-english-660035-7.webp[/img]