pode

x
« on: January 08, 2020, 08:37:03 pm »
x
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 02:24:59 pm by pode »

dhaabi

Re: Question about mobile games
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:29:12 pm »
Many years ago--if not at the forum's inception--it was decided that some mediums of gaming including mobile games were to not be cataloged on this site.

In the case of mobile gaming, several reasons exist for this decision. Tens of thousands of titles (Hundreds of thousands? Millions?) exist within the market. Many of these games become obsolete over time on account of OS support while others are taken down from storefronts at any given time, quite regularly. Reasons such as these two support why it's just not worth cataloging these titles.

Neglecting these kinds of games is not in part to their nature in being a digital item, as the site catalogs thousands of games across digital storefronts that are stable in their existence and accessibility.

Whether this is a decision that may or may not be reconsidered is another question but is certainly a topic that is brought up from time to time.

pode

x
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 11:35:34 pm »
x
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 02:26:33 pm by pode »

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 01:04:04 am »

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 08:44:29 am »
godamm same acount 5 years ago.

i guess some things are hard to let go  ::)

I've got to give the guy some credits for being dedicated though.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telly

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:22:32 am »
According to this site, there are approximately 350,000 gaming apps available on Google Play right now. That's more than double the total number of entries that have ever been made on this site! (and that's assuming every entry made here is a unique item which isn't even the case because some are dupes, errors etc.) And that doesn't include iOS, which has around 262,000.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/780229/number-of-available-gaming-apps-in-the-google-play-store-quarter/

And you can see how the number fluctuates drastically over time. Like how last year there were almost 680,000 games available.

I'm not inherently opposed to adding mobile games, but for me it's just such a substantial burden on VGC to maintain and update this kind of data. I would rather we focus on physical and digital games on consoles and PC before even trying to tackle mobile games. But, I would defer to whatever the site owners would like to see happen.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 10:06:01 am »
The reason as for why it was decided that mobile games would not be tracked is because we do not have a large enough group to manage those entries. None of the active members or admins have expressed an interest in curating such a category. And whatever numbers you may find on a website such as that statista, as large as they are, the actual numbers are even larger. It would encompass iOS, Android Market, Android stand-alone APK, Android regional storefronts, J2ME, etc. Without having a few people to curate a category for those games means that the entries would just be a mess. No one is around to be an expert on those, what resources would we confirm against? That is the reason.

Well, it may not be the original reason why it was decided years ago to not cover mobile games, but it certainly is the reason now.

pzeke

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 10:44:27 am »
Maybe just add big name games, like Pokémon Go and Mario Kart Tour. And if not, then make an effort to delete whatever mobile games are on the database instead of wasting energy referencing the rules and/or explaining why they're not allowed.

I don't bother with mobile games, so I could care less either way.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 04:18:28 pm »
Maybe just add big name games, like Pokémon Go and Mario Kart Tour. And if not, then make an effort to delete whatever mobile games are on the database instead of wasting energy referencing the rules and/or explaining why they're not allowed.

I don't bother with mobile games, so I could care less either way.
Taking a moment to explain why they aren't allowed isn't "wasting energy" if it gives an answer and stops more entries from being created in the future. They have removed mobile games once they've been reported.

pode

x
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 05:01:56 pm »
x
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 02:26:39 pm by pode »

dreama1

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 06:21:14 pm »
Mobile games are heresy anyway.

ferraroso

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 08:43:42 am »
This:
Mobile games are heresy anyway.

Also, if you ask me, I think that not even Steam nor any form of downloadable content should be included in this website... or, at least, they should not be counted as a valid numbered entry on someone's collection should a person add them to their lists.
But since I don't buy any DLC myself and never include the ones I get through my PlayStation Plus subscription to the database, I don't think my opinion should be taken into consideration... Haha
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:45:15 am by ferraroso »

pzeke

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 08:05:44 am »
I think that not even Steam nor any form of downloadable content should be included in this website... or, at least, they should not be counted as a valid numbered entry on someone's collection should a person add them to their lists.

I understand your dislike towards digital games, but their prevalence is undeniably irrefutable these days. The purpose of this database is cataloging video games, and so it happens that we’re now living in a world where physical media is almost going the way of the dodo and digital is gradually becoming the new norm, and whether accepted or not, many prefer its convenience. Do I like that? No. But that’s no reason to deny these types of games have equal merit to be included in the database, not to mention counted toward any user’s collection, especially considering there are games that are only distributed digitally.

Which in and of itself is also a contention point towards mobile games. I personally won’t front that battle, because as I stated, I don’t particularly favor them, but an argument could be made and elaborated upon that they could be included in the database. There “being too many mobile games” and there “not being a group to manage these entries" is frankly not the best excuse. While not equally as much, there are still a bunch of digital games, and non-digital, which aren’t all listed here. Plus, consoles like the PS2 have a lot of video games spread throughout each region, and we’re still seeing entries for games getting listed. Heck, we get entries for consoles older than the PS2. Games get listed gradually to the database, and so far we have a comprehensive list of them spanning many consoles, including digital, but it’s impossible to expect having every game ever listed. So I think by that alone the inclusion of mobile games should be, at the very least, put into genuine consideration. Just like with digital games, mobile gaming has rooted itself firmly within the industry, so, as I said above, their prevalence is undeniable, like it or not. Who the hell would have ever thought Nintendo would do a 180 and dip their toes in those waters?

I think if pode is truly passionate about it, he could be a trendsetter here and explain his case on why mobile games should be allowed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 03:18:49 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!