Author Topic: Do you ever intentionally choose first print over deluxe edition?  (Read 4502 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Do you ever intentionally choose first print over deluxe edition?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 10:54:25 pm »
I don't really care about first print necessarily, but I do care about Greatest Hits/Player's Choice covers. They are without exception hideous, and I actively choose to not have them in my collection. I understand that this sometimes means that having certain content or updates but since most of this is distributed digitally anyways it doesn't matter to me as much.

This so much. I made it a mission over the course of the last couple of years of replacing my Greatest Hits for PS2 and PS1 for black label versions. Now I have less of them than before which is great with some exceptions but overall, not a fan of them I especially made sure not to have em when the PS3 introduced those solid red cases.

I did this pretty early on in my collecting career. I've been greatest hits free for about 6-years now. The only greatest hits game I can think of that I have is Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution which only came in a greatest hits case.

What really irks me about PlayStation's greatest hits especially, is the extremely low threshold they require in order for the game to become a "greatest hit". Especially back in the PS1 era, the number was very, very low. Something like 100,000 copies. That's why you tend to find way more GH editions of a game than the black label, because more of them actually exist. I still say they're guilty of re-branding titles too hastily. Just look at Yakuza 0 on PS4. Good luck even finding a copy that ISN'T greatest hits... and what even is Yakuza 0? Few actually know, but already a greatest hit! I think sometimes Sony employs it as a tactic of enticing more sales.

With Nintendo, I think actually require that they get $60 one million times over, before they'll re-print them as Nintendo Select. It makes quite a difference, you don't see Nintendo Selects all that often.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2020, 01:44:47 am »
The GOTY editions look perfectly fine:

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2020, 04:28:14 am »
I'm the complete opposite. I tend not to buy any new releases for at least a year or two to see if a more finished (complete) version is released as GOTY. Although some of the artwork is pretty garish on the re-releases, especially platinum ones, I would rather have a more complete experience on disc.

kashell

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 11:17:46 am »
I don't really care about first print necessarily, but I do care about Greatest Hits/Player's Choice covers. They are without exception hideous, and I actively choose to not have them in my collection. I understand that this sometimes means that having certain content or updates but since most of this is distributed digitally anyways it doesn't matter to me as much.
Basically this.

For modern titles, I'd like to get the most recent edition. It's not like the front cover is on full display, anyway.

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 02:25:50 pm »

This so much. I made it a mission over the course of the last couple of years of replacing my Greatest Hits for PS2 and PS1 for black label versions. Now I have less of them than before which is great with some exceptions but overall, not a fan of them I especially made sure not to have em when the PS3 introduced those solid red cases.

I did this pretty early on in my collecting career. I've been greatest hits free for about 6-years now. The only greatest hits game I can think of that I have is Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution which only came in a greatest hits case.

What really irks me about PlayStation's greatest hits especially, is the extremely low threshold they require in order for the game to become a "greatest hit". Especially back in the PS1 era, the number was very, very low. Something like 100,000 copies. That's why you tend to find way more GH editions of a game than the black label, because more of them actually exist. I still say they're guilty of re-branding titles too hastily. Just look at Yakuza 0 on PS4. Good luck even finding a copy that ISN'T greatest hits... and what even is Yakuza 0? Few actually know, but already a greatest hit! I think sometimes Sony employs it as a tactic of enticing more sales.

With Nintendo, I think actually require that they get $60 one million times over, before they'll re-print them as Nintendo Select. It makes quite a difference, you don't see Nintendo Selects all that often.

Despite selling very well, I've also noticed some updated games that have all bonus content included that do have a non-greatest hits version, but they are very, very hard to find. I remember a lot of these on the PS3, most notably Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition, Read Dead Redemption GOTY Edition, and GTA4 GOTY Edition. Finding a black label version of these three was very, very hard.

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 12:43:17 am »

Despite selling very well, I've also noticed some updated games that have all bonus content included that do have a non-greatest hits version, but they are very, very hard to find. I remember a lot of these on the PS3, most notably Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition, Read Dead Redemption GOTY Edition, and GTA4 GOTY Edition. Finding a black label version of these three was very, very hard.

As someone who has all 3, I can cosign this. Not matter how many times I was at any given game shop, I only ever saw those 3 in GH form and I wanted to upgrade from my standard copies so finding the non GH copies was a task. I managed to find all 3 on ebay after some looking and finding prices I thought were fair but damn it was time consuming

Warmsignal

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 10:48:47 am »

As someone who has all 3, I can cosign this. Not matter how many times I was at any given game shop, I only ever saw those 3 in GH form and I wanted to upgrade from my standard copies so finding the non GH copies was a task. I managed to find all 3 on ebay after some looking and finding prices I thought were fair but damn it was time consuming

I think Sony just makes some titles into greatest hits regardless of any sales figures. It's incredibly hard to find a Yakuza 0 that isn't either the launch edition with the slip cover (which is scarce), or a greatest hits. There may not have even been anything other than those two. There's no way that game sold so many copies at launch that it become a justified greatest hit, I'm calling shenanigans.

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 11:45:39 am »

I think Sony just makes some titles into greatest hits regardless of any sales figures. It's incredibly hard to find a Yakuza 0 that isn't either the launch edition with the slip cover (which is scarce), or a greatest hits. There may not have even been anything other than those two. There's no way that game sold so many copies at launch that it become a justified greatest hit, I'm calling shenanigans.

I have yakuza 0 however it never came with slipcover and this was before it became Playstation hits which nowadays its all I see on shelves

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 11:54:51 am »
Purposfully chose regular copy of smash over steelbook at launch. Aint having my shelf look wack.

Warmsignal

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 12:00:48 pm »
Vanilla copies FTW.

I don't need "10 OUT OF 10 - BEST GAME BEST GAME" printed all over a monochromized cover art. They can take that DLC and shove it.  ;)

pzeke

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 09:59:17 am »
I have to admit that I usually do this. When a game is re-printed with added content, the cover art gets compromised in the process with all kinds of writing, badges, and revisions. For example, Nier Automata GOTY is on sale right now for as little as the first print edition, but the cover is kinda crap in comparison. This is usually the situation for most GOTY, or deluxe editions. They kind of look like a greatest hits afterthought that muddles up the packaging.

So the question becomes, do I want that supposed bonus content that comes with it, or do I want better looking shelf-trinket? I can still download the bonus content if I really wanted it. This is what is currently keeping me from jumping on this deal for Nier, it's that lackluster re-worked art. Looks like crap. Would rather just have the first print of the game.

I've no clue what you're talking about; they actually used the Japanese cover art for the GOTYE, which only has two logos, by the way. This version of the game also changes the naming scheme to "YoRHa" instead of "Year", so both the name and image go in hand. Not to mention the artwork was done by Akihiko Yoshida (Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy series, Vagrant Story, A.S.H., Bravely Default). It dumbfounds me that you call that "crap".

I mean, look at this:

I digress.

Anyway, you're essentially more of a collector, so I guess shelf candy would be more important. Personally I'd rather have a complete edition instead of the original release, so long as the content is on the disc, otherwise I'll stick with the original release. With that said, though, price was the only reason I bought the GOTYE of Spider-Man, and for the aforementioned NieR: Automata is actually the artwork.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Warmsignal

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 02:54:58 pm »
I have to admit that I usually do this. When a game is re-printed with added content, the cover art gets compromised in the process with all kinds of writing, badges, and revisions. For example, Nier Automata GOTY is on sale right now for as little as the first print edition, but the cover is kinda crap in comparison. This is usually the situation for most GOTY, or deluxe editions. They kind of look like a greatest hits afterthought that muddles up the packaging.

So the question becomes, do I want that supposed bonus content that comes with it, or do I want better looking shelf-trinket? I can still download the bonus content if I really wanted it. This is what is currently keeping me from jumping on this deal for Nier, it's that lackluster re-worked art. Looks like crap. Would rather just have the first print of the game.

I've no clue what you're talking about; they actually used the Japanese cover art for the GOTYE, which only has two logos, by the way. This version of the game also changes the naming scheme to "YoRHa" instead of "Year", so both the name and image go in hand. Not to mention the artwork was done by Akihiko Yoshida (Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy series, Vagrant Story, A.S.H., Bravely Default). It dumbfounds me that you call that "crap".

I digress.

Anyway, you're essentially more of a collector, so I guess shelf candy would be more important. Personally I'd rather have a complete edition instead of the original release, so long as the content is on the disc, otherwise I'll stick with the original release. With that said, though, price was the only reason I bought the GOTYE of Spider-Man, and for the aforementioned NieR: Automata is actually the artwork.

One man's crap is another man's treasure? I dunno. They made it monochrome the placed the title over the dead center of the image, it's kind of like one of those hidden pictures where the longer you stare at it, the more you start to actually see what it is. I don't care for that. I'm one of the few here who actually prefers western style cover art anyhow, never been a fan of Final Fantasy cover art either. Art is totally subjective.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2020, 03:07:08 pm »
I prefer the original releases to the GOTY/complete editions. Some of the games this gen and last had multiple tweaks to the cover art, due to unique character skins from different stores. I didn’t bother trying to hunt em all down though.
The last game I collected the different artwork for was Mortal Kombat Deception on Xbox.

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 11:33:25 am »
First editions look much nicer to me.

I don’t play much DLC so GOTY editions are not my thing.

What I abhor is things like the current PlayStation Hits on PS4. As I’ve just started collecting for the PS4, I am trying to buy sealed copies at about £10-15. But games like Horizon Zero Dawn are a struggle to even find.

Warmsignal

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 12:58:03 pm »
First editions look much nicer to me.

I don’t play much DLC so GOTY editions are not my thing.

What I abhor is things like the current PlayStation Hits on PS4. As I’ve just started collecting for the PS4, I am trying to buy sealed copies at about £10-15. But games like Horizon Zero Dawn are a struggle to even find.

Oh lord, I remember the headache of procuring the first print of Horizon Zero Dawn, instead of the much compromised "complete edition". The greatest hits version they sell now? Just wow. What a disaster-piece. I'm disappointed they didn't write even more crap on it. They left some blank space, the slackers.