Author Topic: Genesis Model 1 AC Adapter  (Read 6973 times)

Genesis Model 1 AC Adapter
« on: February 02, 2020, 04:31:37 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good replacement AC adapter for a Genesis Model 1. Everything I see on Amazon has terrible reviews, it looks like they all are a little under powered and cause a bit of interference with the video signal?

Re: Genesis Model 1 AC Adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 05:23:09 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good replacement AC adapter for a Genesis Model 1. Everything I see on Amazon has terrible reviews, it looks like they all are a little under powered and cause a bit of interference with the video signal?

here is one I think but it don't look exactly like my own but it has 4 stars in amazon reviews (link erased)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:29:20 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 05:42:36 pm »
DO NOT use any generic three-in-one or two-in-one adaptors from eBay or Amazon, they're garbage and cause noise in the video signals and various other issues. Honestly, I would try to track down an official version by SEGA. A company named Retro-Bit sells a licensed version on their website., I can't personally speak to it's quality since it seems Retro-Bit products are hit-and-miss generally, but they do offer several other "officially licensed" Sega Genesis and Saturn products.

If you really want some high quality power, try RetroGameCave.com. They're a bit pricy, but they offer very high quality power supplies for several retro consoles, including the Model 1 Genesis.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:53:56 pm by aliensstudios »
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 06:43:48 pm »
DO NOT use any generic three-in-one or two-in-one adaptors from eBay or Amazon, they're garbage and cause noise in the video signals and various other issues.

Yup this is exactly what I was seeing on pretty much every adapter on amazon. I did some more digging and found this thread on Atari Age which suggested this AC Adapter. I went ahead and ordered one, I'll report back here when it comes in and I test it out.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 07:12:11 pm »
The problem with those 3 in 1 ac adapters is that they are not transformers like the originals were. They are cheap switch mode power supplies that don’t have EMI/RFI filtering components to save on cost which causes interference in analog video and audio signals.

If basic soldering is something you can do the best option outside of tracking down a original is to just find a used DC 9-12V 1 amp transformer ac adapter and solder on a 5.5mm x 2.1mm power plug. The polarity has to be center negative outside positive.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 11:10:20 am »
here is one I think but it don't look exactly like my own but it has 4 stars in amazon reviews

This is an adapter for The NES and SNES And The Sega Genesis Model one only
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Adapter-GENESIS-nintendo-entertainment-system/dp/B001S2VT6I

Hmmm... *clicks link* AGH!

My Master System came with one of those- I mean, it technically worked, I guess- but I was never, EVER comfortable with it. The thing weighs nothing- seriously, I'm 99% sure that big plug was a hollow shell to make it look like an old-school AC. It also felt very plasticy and cheap to boot. For the time I used it, I would keep a rubber balloon over the unused prong, becuase I just didn't trust it not to send power to the wrong end & start a fire or something. I have since picked up an official AC & feel a lot safer with it.

Also, as a note- when I got my Master System, it wasn't uncommon to turn it on, & have nothing happen- no picture. Just turn it off & on again, it's a finicky unit, right? Except it's all but stopped now that I've switched out the adapter. I'd say the plugs are fine as a temporary measure- if you need to see if the unit works, or it's all you've got available, they're ok. I do NOT recommend them for long-term use.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 12:26:16 pm »

The thing weighs nothing- seriously, I'm 99% sure that big plug was a hollow shell to make it look like an old-school AC.

Yeah I think the case is deliberate to make people think they're getting a transformer. Here's a picture of one I cracked open it's just a cheap and nasty switch mode power supply with the least amount of components possible. It's getting harder to find old school class 2 power transformers new because they're more expensive to make and are not as efficient as switch mode supplies. Switch mode supplies create a ton of electromagnetic and RF noise as a byproduct of how they regulate voltage and need components like chokes and inductors to filter it out of it's output. Most things nowadays are digital and aren't effected by unfiltered voltage so a lot of low end manufacturers will leave these components out to save money.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 08:38:36 pm »
All good advice as far as sticking to original equipment as much as possible.  I recently ordered my second Sega 3025-1 adapter for my Famicom. The first one has that classic "only works when cord in certain position" issue.  Once I have a consistent known working one I will attempt to repair the first.  Don't get me wrong, generics work in a pinch.  In addition to image "warbling" I find that newer aftermarkets can also cause audio buzzing.

Flashback2012

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 09:54:38 am »

No flea markets around that might have a spare MK-1602?

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 10:40:40 am »

No flea markets around that might have a spare MK-1602?

I got a working official AC adapter when I purchased a Sega Genesis model 1 console last month. If your wondering about the cheap one I linked I use that one a few times also. Currently just on my At Games Genesis.

Did you try looking into buying a spare Genesis model 1 console? because It may come with a working official Sega AC Adapter, never know :-\
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 12:16:56 pm »
The thing to be aware of is that Sega had transitioned from using center negative to center positive adapters during the Genesis lifespan. This breaks down in two sets of compatibility:

Center negative adapters
Sega Master System
Sega Master System 2
Sega Genesis / Mega Drive model 1
Sega Mega-CD / Sega CD model 1
Sega Mega-CD 2 / Sega CD model 2
Sega Game Gear EU/JP

Center positive adapters
Sega Mega Drive 2 / Genesis model 2
Sega Genesis 3
Sega 32X
Sega Multi-Mega / CDX
Sega Nomad
Sega Game Gear US

So if you have a Genesis model 1, you can use any center negative adapter from the other consoles. You SHOULD NOT use a center positive adapter on a Genesis model 1. Note that the Genesis (either model 1 or 2, but perhaps not all model 1 revisions) is resilient to using the wrong adapter. This is not the case regarding the Master System. Using a center positive adapter on a Master System will kill the 7805 voltage regulator.

See this site for a list of official power adapters and their compatibilities:
https://gametrog.com/how-which-do-i-need-sega-ac-power-supply-information-specs-model-mk-3025-mk-1602-mk-2103-mk-1479-mk-4122-aa-s95j/

thecrypticodor

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 12:16:32 pm »
The Center positive adapters plugs are actually a different size than the the center negative ac adapters.

Center negative 2.1mm  x 5.5mm

Center positive 1.7mm x 4.75mm (This size usually has a yellow tip)

Sega deliberately made the later plug sizes smaller when they changed polarity on the Sega 2 onward so they wouldn't fit each other and prevent reverse polarity damage.

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 12:37:58 pm »
The Triad power adapter I ordered came in last night. Won't get to test it till this weekend but just holding it I can already tell its like 1000% better than any of the stuff I could have gotten off Amazon/Ebay

tpugmire

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 08:21:13 pm »
Probably not super helpful, but a Turbografx 16 power supply will work in a model 1 Genesis.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 11:10:26 am »
Probably not super helpful, but a Turbografx 16 power supply will work in a model 1 Genesis.

Lol I unfortunately do not own a Turbografx 16, however I really do appreciate the help though!

On another note, the Triad power adapters I ordered came in and they work flawlessly. I spent yesterday really putting my genesis through its paces and it held up, no weird noise like you get from those universal adapters at all. If anyone else is looking for a replacement for their Gen Model 1, this is the one to get https://www.arrow.com/en/products/wsu090-1300-r/triad-magnetics