Author Topic: May the 4th Be With You! (Random Star Wars Talk)  (Read 8520 times)

Re: May the 4th Be With You! (Random Star Wars Talk)
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2020, 04:03:25 am »
Not quite. It chronicles the life of Darth Plagueis, and spans from about 40 years before Episode I up to about the end of the movie.

Star Wars has a pretty hefty expanded universe, which is divided into 2 separate timelines, Legends and the Disney canon. When Disney bought Star Wars, they decided to wipe the slate clean and make their own stories rather than building upon existing works. What's true for one timeline will not be the same in the other. The only shared canon would be Episodes I-VI, The Clone Wars CGI cartoon, and Rebels.
So for example, in the Disney Timeline, Han and Leia had 1 kid, Ben Solo, who was born about 4 years after Episode VI. Whereas in Legends, they had 3 kids. First the twins Jacen and Jaina, who were born about 8 years after Episode VI, then Anakin Solo was born about 2 years later.

If you want a just of the timeline of the books for Legends, it'd look like this:

It may look daunting, but it doesn't need to be read in chronological order. The most popular starting points tend to be the Thrawn Trilogy, the Darth Bane Trilogy, and the X-Wing series.

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2020, 05:13:40 am »
Wow that must A HUGE amount of story. :o  I knew already that Star Wars story was built upon a series of books. What I didn't know was how much came before and after what the movies covered, I figured that Episode 1 was not the beginning of the Star Wars Storyline. But I was not sure.

Thank you for this information emporerdragon  :)

Now is Star Wars "Dawn Of The Jedi" where the story begins?

(edit) I just did some research and it appears that there was a comic book series, I never knew that what is confusing to me is that I don't know where the story began I can't find any more information about the story :-[

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:28:31 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 05:40:42 am »
I read the whole New Jedi Order series years ago and I just loved the Yuuzhan Vong War, it was such a completely different thing to introduce to Star Wars.  I think I read a lot of what came afterwards too, but I forget where I stopped reading, I think it was around Fate of the Jedi, it's been awhile since then.  That was like a year or so of reading I got super into lol Would be awesome if someday they started like a "Star Wars Legends" animated series that would let them adapt that stuff so they could get more of the Skywalker and family stuff people wanted with the new trilogy.

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 05:57:11 am »
Keep in mind that that's just the novels. It's not showing on the timeline where all the shows, comics, games, sourcebooks, and other media fit in.

Dawn of the Jedi would be the book that takes place the earliest chronologically (Parts of other media do flashback or reference events even earlier), but I wouldn't really treat the entire mythos as a singular story. Instead, it should be broken down into smaller parts of a shared universe, like how Coruscant Nights tells the story of Jax Pavan or how the New Jedi Order novels tell the story of the Yuuzhan Vong War.
You don't need to read everything in the order they are presented in the timeline. Instead, after watching the movies, decide what you want more of and go from there. For instance, if you like the clone troopers, you read the Republic Commando novels, or if you want to know what happens immediately after Episode VI, then Truce at Bakura. You can pretty much jump in wherever (though I'd suggest avoiding jumping into the middle books of a trilogy or subseries).

And I wouldn't suggest reading the entire thing anyways, some of the stuff can be rather bad, like you haven't lost much if you never read The Crystal Star or The Glove of Darth Vader. If you want to dip your toes into the EU, as I mentioned earlier, the Thrawn and Darth Bane trilogies are the best starts. If you want a one-off novel, then go with something like Scoundrels, Shadows of the Empire, one of the "Tales From" books, or the Episode III novelization instead.

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2020, 06:11:01 am »
Another book I remember reading and enjoying was "Death Troopers".  I'm into interesting zombie setups and having Star Wars zombies is certainly new lol

pzeke

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2020, 11:33:08 am »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2020, 12:53:53 pm »
Is the Disney Canon Bad? I never watched the new trilogy yet. Because I'm waiting to see those after I re-watch episode IV, V, and, VI vary soon.

I hope their is not any singing in them like there was in the Disney cartoons growing up, and I hope it's not going to be for like for 5 year old where everything being meant for young children. When all the action and war features are taken away, like the lasers, and the explosions all the rest of them had.

I will admit Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace does make me feel uncomfortable because of the childhood Disney like atmosphere revolving Ja Ja Binks. I just hope the Disney cannon has action instead of being a childs movie.

Because all the rest of the Star Wars Movies I seen so far I,II, III, IV, V, VI, are about a war not really kids movies, but I will admit Rouge One Was Great So I don't know until I watch the rest of the Disney ones I guess. ::)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:55:43 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2020, 12:59:24 pm »
Is the Disney Canon Bad?

It's really coming into the light that Disney had no Idea what they were doing.

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2020, 02:35:05 pm »
Is the Disney Canon Bad?

It's really coming into the light that Disney had no Idea what they were doing.

And that's not to say that Disney hasn't put out some good stuff.  The movies are definitely divisive, but for my money The Mandalorian is the best thing SW has done since Return of the Jedi

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2020, 03:14:43 pm »
I'll still take the Disney movies over Episode 1 and 2 any day of the week, no contest, no hesitation, but they definitely had no real plan which is its greatest failing.  It's absolutely the weakest trilogy of the three because of that, but I can easily watch them even if I have some issues with Episode 8 and Episode 9.

I hope their is not any singing in them like there was in the Disney cartoons growing up, and I hope it's not going to be for like for 5 year old where everything being meant for young children. When all the action and war features are taken away, like the lasers, and the explosions all the rest of them had.

I will admit Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace does make me feel uncomfortable because of the childhood Disney like atmosphere revolving Ja Ja Binks. I just hope the Disney cannon has action instead of being a childs movie.

Because all the rest of the Star Wars Movies I seen so far I,II, III, IV, V, VI, are about a war not really kids movies, but I will admit Rouge One Was Great So I don't know until I watch the rest of the Disney ones I guess. ::)

People just have issues with the writing, they aren't to kiddy or anything, they still have a lot of action and everything that Star Wars is known for.  Force Awakens, Rogue One, and Solo are good and The Mandalorian is definitely the best thing that's been done since the original trilogy.

pzeke

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2020, 03:35:53 pm »
The Disney canon was just bad, period. It doesn't take Boyega voicing his dissatisfaction, much less Olaf asking Ridley that one question that lead us further down the rabbit holeā€”it was an utter clusterfuck from the very beginning as far as we've seen. Let's not forget Hamill wasn't happy with how Disney was treating Star Wars from the get-go, and one could even say he was warning everyone. Also, Lucas wasn't happy either given Disney decided to not use the scripts he had for the sequel trilogy. What's worse about that last part is Kathleen Kennedy going on record many times saying Lucas never wrote any scripts, throwing the man under the bus.

Other than how Disney disparaged the franchise, for me what's worse about it all is the fact that The Last Jedi was Carrie Fisher's last film.

Out of all the Star Wars films Disney shat out, Rogue One is literally the only good one...but then again, it was written and directed quite competently. I'll gladly take the prequel trilogy over the sequel trilogy any time. Personal opinion before feathers get ruffled.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2020, 04:12:49 pm »
I think what I dislike the most about the disney stuff is how shallow it is. It's heavy on action and set design, but incredibly light on worldbuilding and character development. At times, it feels more like an old saturday morning cartoon where the good guys win because they're the good guys.

Take the Empire. In the Disney canon, after Episode VI, they suffered loss after loss until a complete defeat 1 year later where they lost practically the entire fleet in a single battle. They then managed to secretly rebuild and then take over the galaxy 30 years later until they were defeated and lost the entire fleet in a single battle. Meanwhile in the Legends timeline, the Empire, under the command of what was left of the Admiralty and high command, continued a long, bloody war with the fledgling New Republic that spanned 20 years before peace was declared. During this, there were also breakaway empires, such as the one under Warlord Zsinj which were also credible threats. And in the end, the Empire survived, and while diminished in territory, remained a military and economic powerhouse in the Galaxy. They even merged with the New Republic for a time during and after the Yuuzhan Vong war becoming the Galactic Federation.

Another thing I disliked was how the Disney stuff basically made all the hero's accomplishments of the original trilogy feel worthless. In Episode 7, Han's a sad, washed up smuggler, Leia's a sad military commander watching everything slowly fall apart, and Luke's a sad, miserable hobo hermit. All their heroics amounted to nothing in the end. Meanwhile at the same point in time in the Legends timeline, Han and Leia are still happily married, Han's a decorated General and War Hero of the New Republic, Leia's still very active in politics, even assuming the role of chancellor for a while, and is a full-fledged Jedi Knight, and Luke had successfully rebuilt the Jedi Order and even has a wife and son.

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2020, 05:05:29 pm »
To move away from the more negative talk about stuff, and bring some fun back in, they put out a CG short that's a lead in to the new Squadrons game coming up and it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VmOqjV_7Q

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2020, 05:53:20 pm »
I'll still take the Disney movies over Episode 1 and 2 any day of the week, no contest, no hesitation, but they definitely had no real plan which is its greatest failing.  It's absolutely the weakest trilogy of the three because of that, but I can easily watch them even if I have some issues with Episode 8 and Episode 9.

People just have issues with the writing, they aren't to kiddy or anything, they still have a lot of action and everything that Star Wars is known for.  Force Awakens, Rogue One, and Solo are good and The Mandalorian is definitely the best thing that's been done since the original trilogy.

It's good to know that the Disney Star Wars are liked by someone, I mean it give me more confidence that since I bascally liked  EPI EP2, EP3 Rouge One IV V VI   I am now confident that the Disney movies are not that bad, I'll watch them soon to make my own opinion :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:55:20 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

pzeke

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2020, 06:02:57 pm »
To move away from the more negative talk about stuff, and bring some fun back in, they put out a CG short that's a lead in to the new Squadrons game coming up and it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VmOqjV_7Q