Author Topic: Sega announcement  (Read 4421 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Sega announcement
« on: May 31, 2020, 09:31:20 pm »
Could Sega be Announcing a new console? I hope so it would be interesting and I would be all in. What are your thoughts yay or nay on a new sega console. Can't wait till june 4th to find out what it is!

Re: Sega announcement
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 10:37:14 pm »
Rumors i hear were

1) Xbox Series X branded as Sega Series X in Japan
2) MS buying Sega
3) Sega going platform exclusive.

None sound likely to me.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 11:34:15 pm »
I think it would be pretty dumb for Sega to jump back into the console market.  Of course I'd love to see it happen just to see a Sega console again, but I can't see them really making a dent between Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft.

That said...maybe it doesn't need to be a big console, what if they decided to go the handheld route again by bringing back the Sega Game Gear? A cheaper price point, established old school branding, they have a big library of classic and recent games, that could be something.  Though they would likely run into a lot of the same problems Nintendo does in trying to get big modern games to run super well on it and I don't know if a new handheld would work out since Nintendo has basically been the only company to be crazy successful at it other than Sony was the one time with the PSP.  They could also push for mobile games to be on the system and if they offer a lot of good features, especially stuff that Nintendo has completely failed at, it could be enticing.

I think the idea of re-branding Microsoft consoles over there with Sega wouldn't be a terrible one, it certainly couldn't hurt Microsoft to do with how bad Xbox does over there and it probably wouldn't be a thing where Sega loses anything from it if Microsoft is licensing the companies name for it.

I'm leaning towards some big new game initiative, like they are buying or creating studios to make a bunch more games, essentially what Microsoft did, just without it being system exclusive stuff.  I'm not quite on board with the idea of them going system exclusive, I feel like they make more in general being on all 3 systems and PC and not just 1 system and PC, but there is nothing saying they won't or at the very least go timed exclusive.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:43:17 pm »
I've learned better than to get really excited about any of Sega's big announcements. It's not that I don't love Sega, I really, really do, but I think the best we could hope for at this point is maybe a slew of new games coming out for next gen. I know this is not the big, insane re-entry into the console market we've all hoped and dreamt about since the Dreamcast went belly up, but I can't see anything being more likely or more optimistic at that.

Addressing some of the rumors, I hope to god Sega wasn't bought out by MS since they've destroyed or at least tainted nearly every game studio they've acquired and made them a shadow of their former selves. This is the only way I can see the "Sega Series X" rumor being true, and while a new Sega console would be cool, it would only be cool if Sega was independently releasing it as they did with their previous consoles.

To be honest, the big announcement has me more worried that excited. That's all I need this year is for my the symbol of my childhood gaming experience and creator of some of the best games I've ever played be assimilated into the Microsoft machine...

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 11:48:51 pm »
I'm leaning towards some big new game initiative, like they are buying or creating studios to make a bunch more games, essentially what Microsoft did, just without it being system exclusive stuff.

I'm actually hoping this might be it along with announcing some big, surprise titles for next gen. An independent Sega expanding and getting to create more games is what I want the most and what I think would be the best for them.

jipsy

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 12:29:46 am »
hopefully Sonic Mania 2
Jipsy

sonicfan53

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 01:59:58 am »
I WANT it to be a new console that can run games from every Sega console of the past.
But I THINK it'll be something along the lines of the "Sega branded Xbox in Japan" thing.

jjfly

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 07:23:42 am »
It's probably just either Master System Mini or Saturn Mini to go with Mega Drive/Genesis Mini

shfan

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 08:15:31 am »
An independent Sega expanding and getting to create more games is what I want the most and what I think would be the best for them.

Yeah, look at the Sonic and Sega All-Star racing games, fantastic new Sega games by a third party.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 08:24:58 am »
Though it'd be real neat if part of the Sega branding thing the Xbox Series X will play Dreamcast and Saturn games.

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 09:31:12 am »
Whatever it is, at least we can be glad it won't be called Orbi. Praise be to NetGear!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 12:39:21 pm »
Maybe it’s a mini system.
While we’re dreaming, iim hoping it’s a Sega Mini with Master System - Genesis - 32x - Sega CD (Snatcher???) - Saturn with all the expensive games I’d like to give a go.

Or just give us a Dreamcast Mini with a killer collection of games!

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 02:46:10 pm »
While we’re dreaming, iim hoping it’s a Sega Mini with Master System - Genesis - 32x - Sega CD (Snatcher???) - Saturn with all the expensive games I’d like to give a go.

I feel like given the timing this has to be bigger than a mini-console. Sure, it might just end up being another one (fingers crossed for the Saturn mini), but I'm hoping this is actually a new console from Sega. I thought about this some more and one idea that popped in my head is maybe MS gave them the money they needed to create their own console in exchange for some exclusivity to certain Sega games and a share of the profits from the sale of those Sega consoles. This would make sense since no one gives shit about the XBOX in Japan and in a lot of other overseas markets, so this might be MS's way of getting some share of the money from those markets without trying to get people to buy the next XBOX which they won't. If this happened I'd want Sega to remain as independent as possible, but if Microsoft gave them enough money who knows how much or how little they'd attempt to infuence Sega's decisions with the console and what games they released on it.

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 04:18:04 pm »
It will never, ever be a new console. I've fallen for that hype time after time. Every time they have an announcement, every time they file a new patent, every time someone at SEGA gets a new haircut people swear that "Dreamcast 2" is coming. It isn't. They'll never be in a position to ever do something like that again, and there isn't room in the today's market anyway. So I'm more than over any rumor, or any hype about some new piece of SEGA hardware.

So no... no new console, or I'll eat my hat.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 04:23:08 pm »

This would be awesome!