Author Topic: Advanced Style Guide update and feedback thread  (Read 22191 times)

tripredacus

Re: Advanced Style Guide update and feedback thread
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2020, 12:09:15 pm »
The Style Guide is designed to work around whatever limitations there are in the software or site design. Actually changing the site design is beyond the scope of this this and not in the power of DB Admins. Only red Admins can make changes like that to the site.

Personally, I am against editing or hiding information in a database. As such I believe that the actual covers should be represented even if they contain nudity, but again, I don't get to make that decision. And besides, with the image quality we're talking about here, it would be essentially this:

;D

pzeke

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2020, 12:34:56 pm »
Yeah, I'm well aware who does what around here, and what I'm proposing has been directed to those that handle the intricacies of how the website runs as a whole. I think they've been somewhat complacent as of very late and just need a bit of pep in their step. And yes, now I'm busting balls.

All in all, I'm with you, the images should be left as-is—there's no need for censorship, especially considering the quality and resolution isn't the greatest, as you said. But hey, if there's a no nudity clause, then we must abide.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

tripredacus

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2021, 10:31:24 am »
Added the old unwritten rule relating to co-branded game releases to the Platform post.

dhaabi

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2021, 11:17:02 am »
Added the old unwritten rule relating to co-branded game releases to the Platform post.

With your Xbox One / Xbox Series X co-branding example, I have a question. Is this rule absolute? I ask because there are two types of packaging: items such as Gears Tactics which have only "Xbox" at the top of the item's packaging which indicates Xbox Series X and items The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope which have "Xbox One" at the top of the item's packaging which indicates Xbox One with the built-in support for Xbox Series X enhancements. Both types have Xbox One and Xbox Series X as a part of the black label, but only examples such as Gears Tactics have the Series X logo in the top-right corner of the packaging for further ease in differentiation. To me, it seems that the differentiation is clear to determine classification of an item being either Xbox One or Xbox Series X with these two combined elements.

On that note, I don't think PlayStation 5 packaging features co-branding at all, but stickers have been included on later PlayStation 4 game packaging which highlights a PS5 upgrade available when present, although they still remain in PlayStation 4 packaging cases proper.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 11:36:10 am by dhaabi »

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2021, 12:05:20 pm »
On that note, I don't think PlayStation 5 packaging features co-branding at all, but stickers have been included on later PlayStation 4 game packaging which highlights a PS5 upgrade available when present, although they still remain in PlayStation 4 packaging cases proper.[/font]
Yeah, I don't think there are any co-branding stuff.  Watch Dogs Legion for instance is PS4, but mentions free upgrade to PS5.  Disc is still a PS4 product, just allows the use of the digital PS5 version with disc as DRM.

tripredacus

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2021, 12:20:21 pm »
Now I see the Watch Dogs Legion on PS4 is not a co-branded game. It is basically a special offer, where if you were to use this disc on a PS5, it would install the PS5 version from PSN. Are there any examples of PS4/PS5 co-branded games?

For the Xbox One games that are "forwards compatible" is it the same as the Watch Dogs Legion on PS4 example? Are there any Xbox One games that are forwards compatible but do not have the Xbox One molded case?

dhaabi

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2021, 12:29:29 pm »
Now I see the Watch Dogs Legion on PS4 is not a co-branded game. It is basically a special offer, where if you were to use this disc on a PS5, it would install the PS5 version from PSN. Are there any examples of PS4/PS5 co-branded games?

There haven't been any releases like this so far, from what I've gathered.

For the Xbox One games that are "forwards compatible" is it the same as the Watch Dogs Legion on PS4 example? Are there any Xbox One games that are forwards compatible but do not have the Xbox One molded case?

For Xbox One games, they are the same as Watch Dogs: Legion on PlayStation 4. As far as the Xbox One and Xbox Series X game cases, I believe that they are the exact same. Only the cover art layout design differs from another to highlight if a title is for Xbox One or for Xbox Series X.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 12:32:50 pm by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2021, 10:23:29 am »
Added the rule regarding "compatible" releases. That will allow for the PS5 upgrade games to be in PS4 and the "playable on Series X" games  to be in XBox One.

Fixed entries
The Dark Pictures: Little Hope: https://vgcollect.com/item/188356
Watch Dogs: Legion: https://vgcollect.com/item/163318

A couple things... First I know that the names on these Dark Pictures games on GameFAQs is "wrong" or at least they are missing the Anthology part of the title. Also someone did make a listing in the Xbox Series X for that game, but I merged the dupe. This is just another one of those things where dupes are going to show up for this, one with the naming issue and two because of the branding.

tripredacus

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2021, 12:01:46 pm »
Since we have resolve the issue with posting [BR] in the forum, work has continued on this. Now working on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive section, which should have 1 post for each of the sub-categories.
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,11326.msg187455.html

This is less the Style Guide part, and more of the identification part of that section. I hope that some day we are able to have an informative post like this for each of the categories on the site.

If there is something that you feel should be included in one of the existing posts that would be helpful, feel free to let me know.

tripredacus

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2021, 10:50:53 am »
Barcodes post updated (finally) with the "barcodes missng digits" example.
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10837.msg178422.html#msg178422

tripredacus

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2021, 09:57:37 am »
ISBN portion moved from Barcode post to Item Number post
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10837.msg178223.html#msg178223

The rule update is that ISBN goes into description unless
- item has no UPC/EAN/JAN, then ISBN can go into barcode field.
- item is a book (in Print Media sub-cat), then ISBN can go into the item number field.

tripredacus

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2021, 09:32:11 am »
Inserted the results of multi-platform game sorting to the Platform post.
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10837.msg178154.html#msg178154

New text:

Games Released for multiple or co-branded platforms
There are some instances where a game release has multiple console branding or compatibilities listed. In these instances, the game should be put into the category for the older console.

Examples
- Atari 2600 / 7800 co-compatibility: should go into the Atari 2600 (VCS) category. See Venture
- PS One / PS2 co-branding: should go into the PlayStation category. See Kowai Shashin
- Xbox / Xbox 360 co-compatibility: should go into the Xbox category. See Sneak King
- Xbox 360 / Xbox One co-branding: should go into Xbox 360 category. See Bully - Scholarship Edition
- Xbox One / Xbox Series X co-branding: should go into Xbox One category. See Gears Tactics
- Xbox One branding with Xbox Series X compatibility note, should go into Xbox One category. See The Dark Pictures: Little Hope
- PS4 branding with PS5 compatibility note, should go into PS4 category. See Watch Dogs: Legion

tripredacus

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2022, 10:30:17 am »
Amended the Editions Names in non-Latin languages portion of the Item Name post to add rules regarding the usage of Japanese loanwords.

There are multiple ways to handle this situation. For a Japanese Edition or Pack name, you should use the transliteration of the original Japanese text with exception for any words on the Japanese Loanwords List post further on in this guide.

Added a new post to the thread with the specific loan words we will use translations for instead of transliterations.
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10837.msg194310.html#msg194310

tripredacus

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2023, 04:56:09 pm »
A new ID Guide has been made for PlayStation. Check it out here and let us know if there are anything that was left out you think should be in there or if you have any questions.

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,12209.0.html

tripredacus

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2023, 11:48:36 am »
Added some Console Release dates for the Adv Guide to provide some help for choosing multi-platform. It doesn't particularly have any impact on the modern/sequential consoles, but it may be useful for dealing with micros.

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10837.msg200323.html#msg200323