Author Topic: Let's name the top 50 Genesis games together because yes :)  (Read 10033 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Let's name the top 50 Genesis games together because yes :)
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2020, 03:07:23 pm »
Jurassic Park should be swoped out for Toejam and Earl probably.

Severely disagree. Jurassic Park on Genesis still holds up as probably the best movie to game adaptation of all time. It's definitely in my top 10 games of all time personally. If it were the SNES, Sega CD, or even the Game Gear version, then maybe. But the Genesis specific Jurassic Park game is spectacular. Gameplay was phenomenal allowing play as either Grant or a Raptor. Then the level design was very well done. The music really sucked the players in and appropriately set the mood. The graphics for the time were also incredible.

heavy disagree,

true lies, rambo III, alladin, dick tracy or ghostbusters did a way better of a job in being actual decent games to name some examples on the sega 16 bit system or heck actual classics like michael jackson's moonwalker

I don't know how jurassik park is considered a sega classic it's a pretty average sega game in my opinion. but maye that's just a hot take opinion on my part.

Jurassic Park was a fan-favorite on the Genesis. Not a personal favorite, but it's brought up often enough to be considered a Genesis classic.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:10:05 pm by burningdoom »

sworddude

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2020, 03:14:47 pm »

Severely disagree. Jurassic Park on Genesis still holds up as probably the best movie to game adaptation of all time. It's definitely in my top 10 games of all time personally. If it were the SNES, Sega CD, or even the Game Gear version, then maybe. But the Genesis specific Jurassic Park game is spectacular. Gameplay was phenomenal allowing play as either Grant or a Raptor. Then the level design was very well done. The music really sucked the players in and appropriately set the mood. The graphics for the time were also incredible.

heavy disagree,

true lies, rambo III, alladin, dick tracy or ghostbusters did a way better of a job in being actual decent games to name some examples on the sega 16 bit system or heck actual classics like michael jackson's moonwalker

I don't know how jurassik park is considered a sega classic it's a pretty average sega game in my opinion. but maye that's just a hot take opinion on my part.

Jurassic Park was a fan-favorite on the Genesis. Not a personal favorite, but it's brought up often enough to be considered a Genesis classic.

I know I just don't get how it's that popular or considered some of the best that the system has to offer.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telekill

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2020, 10:00:18 am »

heavy disagree,

I know I just don't get how it's that popular or considered some of the best that the system has to offer.

I listed some reasons why in my rebuttal. It's fine if you don't like it, but the game is a really good one. I thought it was fantastic that Sega had different teams making essentially different games for the Jurassic Park franchise across their systems where as the Nintendo versions of the game were essentially the same and not well put together at that.

telekill

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2020, 11:45:07 am »

Maybe like the SNES thread, we should bump this to a higher number than 50 to add in further games that deserve mentioning.

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2020, 01:23:21 am »

Maybe like the SNES thread, we should bump this to a higher number than 50 to add in further games that deserve mentioning.

I can agree on maybe at least having a top 100 Sega Genesis games to list? (if so) I would choose  a game called

51. Lotus Turbo Challenge

From what I remember it's somewhat like Rad Racer 1 and 2 on the original NES/Nintendo Entertainment System, Lotus Turbo challenge is a racing game for the SEGA Genesis it's quite difficulty to master, but the best way to describe this game I would think Rad Racer on the NES.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

telekill

Re: Let's name the top 100 Genesis games together because yes :)
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2020, 10:01:33 am »
Alright... keeping it going to 100!

Current count:
1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
2. Castlevania: Bloodlines
3. Phantasy Star II
4. Sword of Vermillion
5. Streets of Rage 2
6. World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
7. Beyond Oasis
8. Gunstar Heroes
9. Shining Force II
10. Snake Rattle n' Roll
11. Golden Axe II
12. Earthworm Jim
13. Wonder Boy in Monster World
14. Strider Hiryu
15. Aladdin
16. Sonic 3D Blast
17. Steel Empire
18. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
19. Phelios
20. Quackshot
21. Warsong
22. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
23. Toki: Going Ape Spit
24. Comix Zone
25. Sonic 2
26. Trouble Shooter
27. Sonic 1
28. Columns
29. Tatsujin / Truxton
30. Beavis and Butt-Head
31. Mega Man: The Wily Wars
32. Herzog Zwei
33. Rolo to the Rescue
34. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
35. The Revenge of Shinobi
36. Contra: Hard Corps
37. Sonic Spinball
38. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
39. Gargoyles
40. Phantasy Star IV
41. Rocket Knight Adventures
42. Midnight Resistance
43. Jurassic Park
44. Ninja Turtles Hyperstone Heist
45. Mortal Kombat II
46. Shining Force
47. Skitchin'
48. Thunder Force III
49. Arrow Flash
50. Gaiares
51. Lotus Turbo Challenge
52. Judge Dredd

I got to compete in the Blockbuster Championship Tournament which allowed some Genesis players to play Judge Dredd before it released. I did really well being in first place for well over a week, but then Acclaim went back on their contract with Blockbuster and released the game early; allowing those in the tournament to rent or buy the game to get a handle on it before going into the tournament. I ended up getting third for my region but the consolation prize was the game on Genesis that my uncle bought me seeing that I just got robbed. lol.

The game is exceedingly difficult but fun to play. I recommend it to those that have yet to try it.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2020, 02:10:38 pm »
53. Golden Axe

I’m honestly surprised this one didn’t make the top 50 :)

telekill

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2020, 04:35:29 pm »
Another one that I was surprised not to see in the top 50 is....

54. Ecco the Dolphin

Not a game for everyone to be sure, but the game was cool back in the day. For those that have never played, you play as a dolphin trying to rescue his pod from.... wait for it..... aliens. Very strange to be sure, but the atmosphere in the game and getting to explore the incredibly detailed ocean (for the time) was fantastic.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2020, 08:03:25 pm »
55.Garfield:Caught in the act

really fun game

telekill

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2020, 08:26:20 am »
I added it to the SNES list as well, but this game is so much fun. I think aside from Killer Instinct, this is the only fighting game that I would try these days if a new one were to release on a system I own. Being able to eat your worshipers/spectators to gain health was so hilarious.

56. Primal Rage

astralsoul

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2020, 08:33:12 am »
57. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

telekill

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2020, 01:43:43 pm »
While not as good as the original, there were some incredible scenes to play through.

58. Jurassic Park Rampage Edition

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2020, 05:38:58 pm »
59.Chiki Chiki Boys

telekill

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2020, 08:38:05 am »
The other half of the Blockbuster Championship for Genesis players was to play a quarter of NBA Jam TE and rack up as many points as possible. I had been playing the game since the first and had had TE on my Genesis for months ahead of the event.

The NBA Jam games in the 16bit days are also the ONLY sports games that I've truly had fun with. It boils down to the insane dunks that you can do coupled with destroying backboards, having the ball be on fire, fun unlockable characters, and of course, beating the hell out of your brother with constantly pushing, pushing, pushing and taking the ball until he rage quits. Hilarity.

60. NBA Jam Tournament Edition

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2020, 06:16:28 pm »
61. Alisia Dragoon