Author Topic: Nintendo Switch or PS5?  (Read 2064 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Nintendo Switch or PS5?
« on: July 20, 2020, 11:46:46 am »

So from here on out, I'm gonna be saving spare cash here or there towards a new console. I'm just not sure which one I want.

I know I want a Switch. But for a scant few games. You see, I'm already a Wii U owner. So a good majority of the games I'd want I already own on Wii U. I want Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, mostly. I also want Super Mario Odyssey and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. But also later down the line I want Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 whenever those come out. I REALLY want Breath of the Wild 2.

On the other hand...next-gen! You can already tell things are winding down this generation. A lot of the games still coming out are just the normal yearly release type of games (Call of Duty, WWE, sports, etc.); or remasters/remakes. Switch is cool to have for those few Nintendo games that are always stellar, but I don't want to miss out on the main-course type of games. On the other hand, it's gonna be PRICEY!

What to do, what to do...

I know, some of you are saying, "But what about XBox Series X?" That reveal video earlier this year was pretty lackluster. Unless they pull something out to really wow me, that killed a lot of excitement I had for it. This coming from an Xbox guy. I bought an Xbox before I did my PS2 and GameCube, I got a 360 before my Wii (never did get a PS3), and this gen got the XBox One before the Wii U or PS4.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:11:58 pm by burningdoom »

telly

Re: Nintendo Switch or PS5?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 12:25:57 pm »
I'd love to get a Switch at some point but man, are things pricey  :-[
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 12:33:26 pm »
I'd say Switch just because it has a ton of incredible games at this point. If Sony maintains their track record then in 3 or 4 years the PS5 will be the console to get hands down. I guess if you can get a Switch now, and then save up to get a PS5 in 2023 or so.

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 01:00:18 pm »
If you can secure a Switch at retail pricing, I recommend going with that over PlayStation 5. It will be a while after the PlayStation 5's release before enough titles release to warrant its purchase. You'll save a good bit of money not buying one right away too.

I'll say it first by saying, Series X? No thanks. Even if you are a fan of Microsoft, they only just two days ago gave more details about what they meant in a prior statement that the Series X won't have exclusive titles. While PlayStation 5 will have titles exclusive to itself, Microsoft's titles will release for both Xbox One and Series X. With that logic, you can always pick up a Series X much, much further down the line if you're still interested, since Microsoft has introduced the Smart Delivery system which allows adopters of certain Xbox One titles to freely upgrade to Series X quality when playing with the Series X.

telekill

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 01:18:33 pm »
I'm already a Wii U owner. So a good majority of the games I'd want I already own on Wii U.

On the other hand...next-gen! You can already tell things are winding down this generation.

You seem to have already made your mind up with these statements.

That said... what generation is Switch technically a part of? It was released at around the halfway mark of this gen putting it technically as the only "next gen" system on the market currently but with current gen games.

I'm also putting a hold on game purchases after buying Ghost of Tsushima. I've been saving for my PS5 for a few months now but as we don't have a price point yet, all gaming money from here on will be put towards the PS5 launch. Hoping that the price point isn't above $500 for the optical drive model.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:20:08 pm by telekill »

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 01:43:31 pm »
Kind of hard to compare an unreleased product.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 04:42:39 pm »
I'd say Switch just because it has a ton of incredible games at this point. If Sony maintains their track record then in 3 or 4 years the PS5 will be the console to get hands down. I guess if you can get a Switch now, and then save up to get a PS5 in 2023 or so.
This is how I see it.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 05:05:35 pm »
As someone who had a Wii U also, the amount of games for the Switch I think is not the best.  There are genuinely good games, like Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and a few others, but there are a ton of re-releases and some of the bigger games like Pokemon Sword I personally found to not be the best or others like Smash Bros aren't really that different from their last release other than having more to do.  Can't say anything on Link's Awakening as I skipped because I wasn't interested in the games visuals.  That said, Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, that's some good stuff on the horizon.

Speaking of horizon, Horizon 2, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and a few others will be coming to PS5 within the next year, and of course there's guaranteed to be some big new games to look forward to such as the inevitable God of War 2, whatever Naughty Dog is doing next, the announced Demon Souls Remake.

It's a hard choice.  I'd probably look at the exclusives to see what you'd like more and if you would want bigger, more powerful, games, on the PS5, or to have the option to play on the go (Something I barely use).  That to me is what separates them more and you can still play your PS4 games on the PS5, which is also nice.

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 06:13:51 pm »
If I were on your shoes, I'd be most certainly saving up for a Switch. But then again, It'll be a good while until I get a PS5, so...

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 03:27:10 am »
Both. :-)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 05:27:34 pm »

I thought you were down on the Switch. What brought you around?

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 07:30:47 pm »
ps5 on relase might be rough will have a small library in the beginning

Better to get a switch now and a ps5 years later. let alone that ps5 console price on release will be way higher then 2 years later.

It's never good thing to buy consoles to early, later models will have things fixed up. if you buy a console on release you might have a lesser console while paying more.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:32:28 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 02:49:00 pm »

I thought you were down on the Switch. What brought you around?

Was never down on it. Just said (and stand by) that it didn’t pay to early adopt it. Especially if you already owned a WiiU and Xbox or PS4.

First two years all the games were available on those other consoles. I was also vocal that Nintendo was clearly looking to do a soft pull from the console market into handheld space and that even the name “Switch” was a metaphor for that. They just had to be careful and patient with 3DS users as they inevitably abandoned them.

Starting mid last year we started getting truly newer and fresh games. The new Switch hardware revision improves battery life and addresses long standing drift issues their controllers had in wireless mode from launch day. (How your controllers get through QA without working wirelessly is just further proof in my mind that portable was their focus and endgame the whole time. With tv/console usage just a nice to have).

Xbox Series X I expect to have a huge library and few hardware problems day one as it’s basically an Xbox One X++, with some serious backwards compatibility. SONY knows this and will likely have an equally serious PS5 offering to compete.

I said a couple times on stream that “mid 2019-2020 will be a great time to own a Switch”

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 03:10:36 pm »
If the console could hold more than 12-20 full games without needing another hard drive or to download the game. maybe I'd get A PlayStation 5 but If I was the in  @burningdoom's shoes I'd also get a PlayStation 3 mainly for PlayStation 1 games. but that would only be good if @burningdoom likes PlayStation 1 games.

Mostly Every PlayStation 3 I ever got is a great piece of hardware, and since the OP mentioned he or she never had a PlayStation 3, In my own opinion you're missing out. That is if the PlayStation 5 can't do as much as the PlayStation 3 could in it's lifetime.

But PlayStation 3's life and support is over i think. Just buy what you want, because A PlayStation 3 is old and cost as much as a cheap flat screen television or PC monitor (in the $150.USD range and that is not cheap)

(edit) I forgot you can also play PlayStation 1 discs on the PC but I'd still get a SONY PS3 because I loved mine

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:26:46 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 03:34:53 pm »
PS3 isnt even an option, here, for me. Between owning a PS4 and owning a 360, there's not much left worth owning on it that I want that I can't already get elsewhere.

And yeah, I like PS1, but I already have a PS and a PS2 for that.