Author Topic: The Original Xbox Appreciation Thread  (Read 5713 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

The Original Xbox Appreciation Thread
« on: July 30, 2020, 01:07:37 pm »

I've noticed a lot of naysayers about the Original XBox, so I decided we need an Original Xbox appreciation thread!

A little history behind the Xbox:

It was Microsoft's first home console, released nearly 19 years ago in November 2001. It was called the XBox due to it relying on Microsoft's Direct X technology (originally it was going to be named the Direct Xbox.)

It was the powerhouse of it's generation, being the most powerful console on the market until the launch of it's own successor in 2005, the XBox 360. It was also the first console to have a hard drive built into it at launch, as well as the first to have a high-speed ethernet port built into it at launch (granted, the Dreamcast did have a slower 56k modem built into it before). And it enjoyed early success at the online market with the launch of the original XBox Live service; Halo 2 being a big part of that success.

The console has also been dubbed the "Dreamcast 2" by some Sega fans. This is due to having a good amount of Sega exclusives on it at the time such as Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun 2, Toe Jam & Earl III, Crazy Taxi 3, House of the Dead III, and others. In addition to that, the original Xbox controller was inspired by the design of the Dreamcast controller.

Xbox Live service launched in summer of 2002 with Halo 2 being the "must-have" online game to play, ensuring it's success. Halo 2 also happens to be the Original XBox's highest selling game.

The Original Xbox quickly saw games dry up for it as the XBox 360 launched in late 2005. It was officially discontinued in 2009 when Microsoft ended warranty-support for the console. The Original Xbox Live servers were shutdown in 2010, ending Xbox Live support for the console.

Original Xbox Pros:
-Most powerful console of that generation.
-Often the best multiplatform version of games.
-720p HD support right out of the box.
-Best online support of that generation, including a high-speed ethernet port built-in.
-Hard drive built-in expands the console's capabilities.
-Easily replaceable parts.
-4 Controller Ports for on couch multiplayer.
-Built for LAN-parties with multiple consoles.
-DVD and CD playback functionality
-Easy to soft-mod.
-Controllers for both big hands and small hands.
-Solid built hardware
-Strong First-Person Shooter library.
-Strong Western-RPG library.
-Solid Exclusive library (see below)
-Many of it's games are backwards compatible on XBox 360, and some even on the Xbox One.

Original Xbox Cons:
-Big and bulky.
-Lacking in JRPG titles.
-Lacking in shoot-em up titles.
-Some third-parties supported the PS2 more.
-A distinct lack of Resident Evil.
-Support for the console (as in game releases) was dropped like a rock when the 360 hit (vs the PS2 which was supported for years after the PS3 launch).

Some Great True Exclusives on the Console:
-Conker Live & Reloaded
-Dead or Alive 3
-Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes
-Jet Set Radio Future
-MechAssault 1 & 2
-Panzer Dragoon: Orta
-Project Gotham Racing 1 & 2
-Sega GT 2002
-Steel Battalion
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x
-WWE Raw 1 & 2

Some Great Console Exclusives on the System:
-Advent Rising
-Arx Fatalis
-Brute Force
-Crazy Taxi 3
-Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
-Fable
-Halo 1 & 2
-Jade Empire
-Ninja Gaiden
-Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
-Shenmue II (in the U.S.)
-Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse

Some facts about the console you might not know:
-You can rip CDs and play them straight from your hard drive.

-The ambient noises you hear in the background while the system is running it's OS are actual NASA recordings. They wanted to give it an otherworldly feel, like it was something from out of this world.

-The parts inside are easily replaced, like a PC board. If you need to repair it, it's as simple as ordering the parts on eBay, and swapping them out.

-Because of those easily replaceable parts, you can upgrade your hard drive.

-There is a full-on Mech simulator on the console complete with fully operational Mech controls that come with the game. Steel Battalion.

-The Xbox was originally supposed to be backwards compatible with the Dreamcast in it's earlier development stages after some talks with Sega. This was due to the fact that the Dreamcast was based on Windows technology. But the idea was later scrapped.

-The Xbox can play DVDs. I know, many XBox users are going, "Duh." But when you talk to people online, you will often hear from them that the PS2 won that generation in a large part due to having a DVD-player built-in, as if the XBox couldn't do that either.

Feel free to share your thoughts, feelings, favorite games, or favorite moments from the Original Xbox.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:12:32 pm by burningdoom »

Re: The Original Xbox Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 01:37:41 pm »
I love the original Xbox, a lot, I'm even more thankful to someone on this forum who told me to get my used Original Xbox looked at for a common leaky capacitor issue. Mine was leaking a little but I had that repaired as soon as I knew it was a common issue.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my original Xbox, it has somewhat early PlayStation 3 graphics in an exclusive golf game exclusive to the system called Links 2004. It's really got some great racing games for it. I love how the controller setup in all the racing games I've played on it. use the left trigger for break and right trigger for accelerate it feels like I have full control of the car or vehicle while playing as well. I love how it has it's own hardrive and it seems to save game progress faster the PlayStation 2.

I love the controller, it feels just right too :)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 02:34:45 pm »
I've been having a greater appreciation for it as the original Xbox years pass especially due to backwards compatibility - Playing titles on the Xbox 360 is a joy and for many of the following titles are my best ways to play said games

- Burnout 3: Takedown!
- Crash Twinsannity
- Dead or Alive Ultimate (I got this recently & am delightd to be able to play DoA2 again!!)
- Fahrenheit
- Shenmue II (Prefer this over the PS4 version..)
- Sonic Heroes, Shadow The Hedghog
- The Thing

Then are some decent exclusives like:
Blitz the Cat, Dead Or Alive 3, Fable, Jet Set Radio Future, Stubbz, Kung Fu Chaos & many more!

It;s not a console i will go out of my way to get due to the same problem I have wit hthe PS2 being a pre-HD era console. But if Xbox Series X intends to make more original Xbox titles available I'll be along for the ride!

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 03:11:48 pm »
While I didn't love the original Xbox as much as other consoles, I played SO MUCH Halo on it.  Me and my buddies would regularly have LAN parties, with lots of people playing, and our usual Halo game type was no shields, so you could die fast and it made some CTF matches last for literal hours.  Hundreds of hours were spent playing both Halo 1 and 2.  There weren't many other games I was interested in though.  I played some, but generally I thought the PS2 was better.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 04:23:47 pm »
While I didn't love the original Xbox as much as other consoles, I played SO MUCH Halo on it.  Me and my buddies would regularly have LAN parties, with lots of people playing, and our usual Halo game type was no shields, so you could die fast and it made some CTF matches last for literal hours.  Hundreds of hours were spent playing both Halo 1 and 2.  There weren't many other games I was interested in though.  I played some, but generally I thought the PS2 was better.

I know a lot of people like to hate on Halo, but back when it was a new series, it really was something special. It's production values were a cut above other console games at the time. The soundtrack was amazing. Real voice acting when most video game voice acting at the time was half-assed amateurs. A helluva sci-fi story made for it. And then that wonderful multiplayer to boot. Not just deathmatch, but fantastic co-op play too.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 04:49:14 pm »

I know a lot of people like to hate on Halo, but back when it was a new series, it really was something special. It's production values were a cut above other console games at the time. The soundtrack was amazing. Real voice acting when most video game voice acting at the time was half-assed amateurs. A helluva sci-fi story made for it. And then that wonderful multiplayer to boot. Not just deathmatch, but fantastic co-op play too.

The Halo series was genuinely great and it didn't really lose my interest till after Halo: Reach, when Bungie left.  I was kinda done with it at that point, nothing about what they were adding or doing with 4 or 5 did much for me and it's only now with Halo Infinite is it kinda tickling my interest again, especially now that I can play it on PC.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 07:53:02 pm »
The original halo has got to be one of the best video game experiences I've had on any system.I know their are alot of haters who can't be open minded to other options and that's a shame because there is alot to enjoy on Xbox if you just play it and stop finding reasons not to.It is a great system and Im happy to have one or mabey even three.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 08:08:40 pm »
The original halo has got to be one of the best video game experiences I've had on any system.I know their are alot of haters who can't be open minded to other options and that's a shame because there is alot to enjoy on Xbox if you just play it and stop finding reasons not to.It is a great system and Im happy to have one or mabey even three.

Wow. Three.

I have two. One modded with Xbox Media Center and a handful of old NES, SNES, and Genesis games I own.

But the I found out due to the nature of exploit used to mod the console, it could no longer play the MechAssault games. So I had to get another just so I can play MechAssault again.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 08:12:12 pm »
"Halo Combat: Evolved Evolved" also known as Halo 1 is a good first person shooter and it's vary hard to complete even on easy difficulty setting for me, but I'm somewhat disappointed, that some levels have vary low detail, I mean compared to Doom 3. "In Halo 1:Combat Evolved" I just wish some of the levels l didn't all look the same, each time you go into the indoor structure, most of the level design looks copied and pasted. and used over and over, with little detail.

If you compare Halo 1 to games like Halo 2 or Duke Nukem 3D or even games like Half Life, The vary first Halo is lacking some of it's potential level design detail.  part The level design looked stretched, or rushed. using the same exact detail over and over. on virtually all the parts of the levels that are indoors.

I mean I used to design levels for other PC First Person Shooter games and so I can tell that a giant majority of the first Halo's levels were indeed just a few different rooms pretty much with the same exact detail as other rooms, with little varity.

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 08:23:33 pm »
Well yeah; there's 4 years between Halo 1 and Doom 3. I'd hope a triple A series like Doom would look better 4 years later.

In 2001 copying game assets was incredibly common still. So a lot of areas looking similar, while not ideal, isn't unexpected at all for a game in 2001. Remember Halo 1 was a launch title for the console. Most of us were still playing PS1 and N64 at that point, and Halo blew that kind of stuff completely out of the water.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 08:32:06 pm »
Well yeah; there's 4 years between Halo 1 and Doom 3. I'd hope a triple A series like Doom would look better 4 years later.

In 2001 copying game assets was incredibly common still. So a lot of areas looking similar, while not ideal, isn't unexpected at all for a game in 2001. Remember Halo 1 was a launch title for the console. Most of us were still playing PS1 and N64 at that point, and Halo blew that kind of stuff completely out of the water.

Have you ever played Half Life? for the PC it was made in 1998 and it had a lot more detail and graphics. I am not trying to down halo 1 but just saying that maybe since Halo: Combat evolved was a new console game made in 2001 like you said and maybe Bungie were new back then.

After all and come to think of it I don't think you can drive any vehicles in Half Life so ::)

(edit) Bungie came out in 1991.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:42:30 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 08:41:48 pm »
I honestly haven't. I have Half-Life 2 on Xbox, though.

I've never been a big PC gamer. I wasn't one at all growing up in the 80s and 90s. That was for the well off kids, we couldn't afford one then. I have one now as an adult, but I've just always been a console gamer so I still am. So, long story short, I went from stuff like Goldeneye, Duke Nukem 3D, and Doom to Halo when it came to FPS.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:43:56 pm by burningdoom »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 09:34:44 pm »

Wow. Three.

I have two. One modded with Xbox Media Center and a handful of old NES, SNES, and Genesis games I own.

But the I found out due to the nature of exploit used to mod the console, it could no longer play the MechAssault games. So I had to get another just so I can play MechAssault again.
Yea I was lucky enough to aquire a second halo console of a friend even though I had one already plus still have my original black one.

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 07:05:56 am »
it is one of the best consoles for mame,

It has some good dreamcast esk titles otogi, gun valyrie, spike out battlestreet

To bad sega never got a power stone 3 for the xbox system.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

mark1982

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 04:28:19 am »
Yep, gotta agree the original Xbox is a great console. I remember buying Knights of the Old Republic before I even had the console. ;D And it was so very worth it, played 1 and 2 numerous times in my youth.
  l    l