Author Topic: The Original Xbox Appreciation Thread  (Read 5764 times)

gummo

Re: The Original Xbox Appreciation Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2021, 12:24:22 am »
  I really got into the OG Xbox when it was released . The games resonated with me : Halo , Elder Scrolls III , Max Payne , Phantom Crash , Robotech Battlecry , Fable , MechAssault , Black just to name a few . Yeah some were multi platform but why bother , everything played great on the Xbox and generally looked better too . I never had any problems with mine , still works great today . I need to dig up my old Xbox and PS2 games and enter them into my collection , I boxed them up when I moved years ago and they're still buried the closet . I ended up repurchasing some to replay recently because it was easier than finding them lol . 
   I had no problem with the Duke , but I really liked the S controller when it was released .
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:21:58 am by gummo »

covfefe2020

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2021, 01:47:44 pm »
I currently only have the S controller, I'm wondering if the DUKE would be more comfortable, any positive thoughts on the original Xbox original Controllers

I have the Dukes, S´s, and a ¨powerpad¨ controller thats even bigger than the original duke. I know it gets a ton of hate but thats just from kids, I have smaller hands and the S is one of my favorite gaming controllers period, but if I play with a duke for more than 20 minutes it starts to feel just as natural. If youre still having trouble I dont doubt that having a duke would fix everything.
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 09:53:00 pm »
I also had no problems with the duke but the s controller was better.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2021, 06:47:31 pm »
I didn’t have a lot of games for the original Xbox that weren’t also available for PS2, but the exclusives I had made the Xbox well worth the purchase. Between KOTOR 1 & 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun 2, and Tron 2.0, I played it a lot.
Yes, Tron 2.0 is an extremely flawed game, but I got enjoyment out of it, mainly through the presentation and music, which really made me feel like I was in the world of the Tron movie.

Warmsignal

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2021, 09:23:15 pm »
My appreciation for the platform has grown a lot in recent months. I used to give preferential treatment to the PS2 back when I first got into collecting games. I think mostly because it was just so much more common, but also probably because I was all-in on the PS2 back in the day. I used to be of the mindset that I was only in it for exclusives on OG Xbox.

As of late, I've noticed a change of heart for a number or reasons. Most multi-plats are just better on the platform, also there's a lot better potential for backward compatibility across subsequent Xbox platforms. I'm constantly dreading the day that my 60GB PS3 overheats. Won't be buying another one of those, if it does.

I've been considering which multi-plats I actually want to re-purchase on Xbox that I already have on PS2. Xbox is my multi-plat console of choice for all gens going forward. It pretty much already was, aside from PS2. So yeah, I'm having a lot of fun hunting out games that are on the inexpensive side, compared to most everything else on the retro market right now. Averaging like $10 a game.

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2022, 04:16:41 am »
I like the fact that it has built in 20gig hard drive, it makes it so I don't need memory cards and on some games saving the game is much much faster, I love the fact that it can support 4 players without additional hardware becasuse most PS2's will not work even with the adaptor. overall I like the Xbox more then the PlayStation 2. the racing games feel more arcade and because of the hard drive :)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

gummo

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2022, 09:20:38 pm »
   I decided to finally do the clock capacitor and the thermal paste on my first Xbox which is a Version 1.0 . I also found a seller on ebay that makes custom 3d printed fan mounts for the case fan and the GPU fan (Version 1.0 motherboards only) that allow you to use Noctua fans on both so I ordered a set of those for it as well . When I opened it I could only see what appeared to be a little leakage around the clock cap , but no visible corrosion . I desoldered it and the legs of the cap had a small amount of crust on them . Cleaned the motherboard up and put some Thermal Grizzly on the CPU and GPU . Now I'm just waiting on the fan mounts . I got that capacitor just in time , zero damage .
  I'm psyched to have that one taken care of , I've been dreading looking inside and have been putting it off . I bought this one brand new and have good memories on it . I have two more OG Xbox's to go . Those should go faster as I won't be doing the fans in those probably and I already have all the tools and supplies out and ready to go .

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:46:40 am by gummo »

gummo

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2022, 11:50:16 am »
#2 Xbox

This purple one has a problem . I tested it and it wouldn't even power on so I was fearing the worst . It's the later model and doesn't have the clock cap problem , but it has 5 bulged out leaky larger capacitors (3300uF 6.3v) . Apparently this is also very common . All of these are bulged at the top and 4 are leaking orange crap also out of the top . Ordered a set .

Update on #2 : I replaced the 5 bad caps and she fired right up , good as new . I also replaced the thermal paste and let it run for a few hours .
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 06:53:46 am by gummo »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2022, 11:43:27 am »
I've been lucky. I keep hearing about leaks in them. My original Xbox is still going strong. As well as my modded one.

gummo

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2022, 07:05:36 am »
I've been lucky. I keep hearing about leaks in them. My original Xbox is still going strong. As well as my modded one.
I went three for three . All three of mine had leaky caps . The two with leaky clock caps would've eventually killed the consoles . Definitely worth checking once in a while .

gummo

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2022, 07:16:23 am »
Xbox #3 tested fine . It was another early model from 2001 . Inside the clock capacitor was leaking just like the first one . Cleaned the heck out of it , no damage again to the motherboard , installed a new Eaton Supercapacitor for the clock cap and put new thermal paste on the CPU and GPU . It should be good for another decade or two . I think this one I bought about ten years ago cheap because it wouldn't read discs . I ended up replacing the DVD drive and sticking it in the closet as a spare .

gummo

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2022, 01:36:21 pm »
I ended up softmodding Xbox #2 and installing a 2TB HDD into it and an 80 wire IDE cable upgrade . I'm just filling it up with my games now . So far I'm liking it a lot .
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:04:11 pm by gummo »

jipsy

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2022, 12:34:09 am »
I think the second controller had a big part in saving the console.
Jipsy