Author Topic: Does A High Score Mean Anything To You These Days  (Read 1819 times)

Does A High Score Mean Anything To You These Days
« on: August 19, 2020, 11:23:04 pm »
Vary old games used to have you accumulate points depending on how you perform usually. an arcade port of something, a scoring system, Do you care about getting a high score? or even bother to put in initials into your consoles save state, At A game over screen?

I don't see the appeal because it's only me looking at the system. but I'm thinking about actually caring about points in those games. I got nobody to show them to, so I'm kinda in the meh category, for the most part I really didn't care about getting a high score in most games I've played.

But I know some of those old 1980's and 1990's games give out continues and extra lives for getting the best score so, what is your opinion on this subject?

I could imagine it would be something special in a family or large gaming group that are vary close in relationship and friendship though. But not so good in the modern day isolation.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

Re: Does A High Score Mean Anything To You These Days
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 03:47:03 pm »
For retrogames such as pacman, donkeykong or final fight it matters allot.

Entirely different beast compared to speedrunning

In way more challenging than speedrunning since you need to maximize your points with weak moves while never losing lives. being crazy good at avoiding patterns while taking all opportunities in trash situations to gain the maximum score if where talking say the final fight example

You generally don't abuse stuff for cheesy kills since you'll get less score as a result you actually have to play the game instead of what some glitches do for speedrunning in some games.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 03:50:07 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 07:32:47 pm »
Considering there are lawsuits happening over Billy Mitchell's Donkey Kong scores, I'd say some people definitely make a big deal of it.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 11:16:03 am »
I've never been a high score chaser, ever. Sure, it was always cool when I accidentally ranked on some arcade machine growing up, however it was never something I strived for and still to this day don't really care about. With that said, I'm not one for achievements in games either, which I see as being the modern equivalent to high score. I just enjoy playing every game the way I want to regardless of how good or bad my score is.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 04:06:33 pm »
I chase high scores in rhythm games, but only trying to beat my personal bests. Online leader boards are too competitive for my blood.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 04:19:23 pm »
I find is surprising that some games like Super Mario Bros and Wolfenstein 3D have a scoring system Wolfenstein 3D is not an arcade game but it has a high score board, has anyone ever cared for a high score in the first Wolfenstein 3D game?

As for Super Mario Bros? I ask the same question. Is is worth it to get all the coins in Super Mario Bros?

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 04:23:26 pm »
It does for pinball.
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/tripredacus/scores

That's cool I think I remember you telling me before on here, this just refreshed my memory :)

NO APPS NEEDED

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 08:16:27 pm »
If I’m trying to get good st a game. I like to try for the high score. I used to keep an index card on my Mario Bros/Donkey Kong and Popeye cabs.

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 10:23:13 am »
Highscores didn't mean crap to me, when they were still in fashion.

They mean a lot to me nowadays, as I note down every of my scores and even come back to playing games in order to beat those. Especially in Shoot'em'Up's  8)
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

mrkonasoni

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 05:04:23 am »
Wrong post.

High Scores are fun for me.
Not that important but fun
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 03:08:35 pm by mrkonasoni »
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

maximo310

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 03:09:36 am »
If you like the game enough to replay it, then it's a great way to show feedback of your skills, especially when comparing your results with other players. The best are when you get score tallies per stage ( two personal examples listed below):

Kamui:

Psyvariar Revision ( played on the Delta Steam port)

Some games are kinda balls for high scores ( ridiculous amount of score tied to lives remaining/special bonus upon completion), but it really comes down to your preferences.

kypherion

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 06:38:08 pm »
Not really, I was always in it for doing cool techniques and showing off to friends. I prefer the grind in skill vs. more numbers at the top of the screen.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

maximo310

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 02:17:51 am »
Not really, I was always in it for doing cool techniques and showing off to friends. I prefer the grind in skill vs. more numbers at the top of the screen.

That's the great part of mid-90s-onward arcade scoring systems; stuff like Radiant Silvergun & Psyvariar Medium Unit/Revision allows you to grind for greater skill, and directly correlates with a higher score.

It usually comes down to taking greater risks to maintain a score chain, collecting some item (medals with increasing values), or grazing bullets to accumulate a much greater score compared to playing defensively & killing everything immediately. 

astralsoul

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 12:38:54 am »
High scores never meant anything to me. The only thing I ever used them for was competing against myself, and even then most games I just tried to beat the game, not get a high score too.