Author Topic: If Microsoft, Nintendo, Or SONY No Longer Made Consoles What Would Happen  (Read 3440 times)

I don't think it will happen. But if it did

Who do you think would fill their shoes if this did happen? this is only a thought discussion.

Personally I don't think it would affect Microsoft much, since Microsoft makes other types of advanced technology. Like computers/PC windows operating systems. and even my moms car has a Microsoft dash logo stating that it contains Microsoft technology, but I don't know the details on that entirely.

However SONY might suffer a lot more, if they decide to no longer make consoles. But similar to Microsoft SONY makes other things in technology. I think? like music stereos, and other electronics.

However I can't say the same about Nintendo, As far as I know Nintendo only makes consoles and if they stopped making consoles then they would only be stuck with making games.

And who do you think would take over if this did happen?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:18:27 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Microsoft would focus only on computer software, again.

Sony would focus on their other electronics more.

Nintendo would likely become a game development company only.

And probably some other gaming company would step up to take over console making. Maybe Sega or Atari would come back, or some new contender; who knows.

Microsoft would be the same pretty much.
Sony would pretty much cease to exist.
Nintendo would keep making games for other platforms.

telekill

Honestly, unless the XSeX is far more successful than the X1, I could see it being Microsoft's last console release. I think they realize it as well and that's why they are focusing more on Games as a Service and having almost everything on PC as well. They are making the move over a couple generations instead of having to react.

pzeke

Microsoft has their computers and software, Sony their music and electronics, and Nintendo their hanafuda cards. Life would continue as normal.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

Sure sony would still exist with other non gaming devices since that's where the real money is at even years before they ever entered the console market.

But in terms of video games I agree,

If sony stopped producing consoles they might not even make games for other consoles and in the gaming sector sony might cease to exist.

They will still be rich and succesfull but non existent in the gaming sector.

Microsoft would be literally the same with the only difference being that there games will be released on pc only. Closer to home I'd say.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 07:35:57 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dhaabi

Honestly, unless the XSeX is far more successful than the X1, I could see it being Microsoft's last console release. I think they realize it as well and that's why they are focusing more on Games as a Service and having almost everything on PC as well. They are making the move over a couple generations instead of having to react.

I understand Microsoft's path as the exact opposite: they're purposely moving toward a market without consoles. Simply put, there's more money in that kind of business model with the reach they'll be able to have. I can easily envision the Xbox Series X being Microsoft's final console, with subsequent generations being entirely digital across a wide spectrum of devices that consumers already own (PC, smart phone) instead of a dedicated device for playing games. However, this future is one that Microsoft themselves are actively working toward.

You're right in that Microsoft is moving ahead now instead of reacting. And this is the problem that Sony will be facing in the upcoming years. While the market moves toward being more and more digital, and, in turn, less reliant on consoles, Microsoft is going to have a huge advantage over Sony when they're the ones having to playing catch-up. Sure, Sony can sell more console units today, but the impact that Microsoft products such as Game Pass have shouldn't be overlooked. Game Pass already has 10 million subscribers alongside the 90 million Xbox Gold subscribers. Compare this to Sony's 42 million PlayStation subscribers. While people may believe that Microsoft is losing to Sony due to unit sales, it really isn't something to even compare. They're focusing on two completely different markets now.

And yes, I am fully saying this as someone who does not game on Xbox but instead PlayStation.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 07:45:05 pm by dhaabi »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Microsoft would be the same pretty much.
Nintendo would keep making games for other platforms.

Sony was making electronics and media formats long before they got into video games. The best electronics are Sony electronics. They were already a business giant before the first PlayStation released. I seriously doubt that would make them cease to exist.

sworddude

I understand Microsoft's path as the exact opposite: they're purposely moving toward a market without consoles. Simply put, there's more money in that kind of business model with the reach they'll be able to have. I can easily envision the Xbox Series X being Microsoft's final console, with subsequent generations being entirely digital across a wide spectrum of devices that consumers already own (PC, smart phone) instead of a dedicated device for playing games. However, this future is one that Microsoft themselves are actively working toward.

You're right in that Microsoft is moving ahead now instead of reacting. And this is the problem that Sony will be facing in the upcoming years. While the market moves toward being more and more digital, and, in turn, less reliant on consoles, Microsoft is going to have a huge advantage over Sony when they're the ones having to playing catch-up. Sure, Sony can sell more console units today, but the impact that Microsoft products such as Game Pass have shouldn't be overlooked. Game Pass already has 10 million subscribers alongside the 90 million Xbox Gold subscribers. Compare this to Sony's 42 million PlayStation subscribers. While people may believe that Microsoft is losing to Sony due to unit sales, it really isn't something to even compare. They're focusing on two completely different markets now.

And yes, I am fully saying this as someone who does not game on Xbox but instead PlayStation.

That might be the future but in the present day microsoft is kissing sony's feet for every game disc that they sell.

Sweet sweet royalties for blue ray to sony.

Also your ignoring game sales, both digital and physical. sony wins in that department by allot.

brand new game sales especially during release is where the money is at, those subscriptions are just a nice bonus. your overestimating this source of income. it's nice but at the end of the day it's for the older stuff that isn't at that sweet spot revenue like for new games. Can we btw not forget how ps4 has an insane amount of exclusives compared to microsoft including big triple AAA titles.. ps4 winning winning this war hard it's not even a competition.

Let's take GTA V for example

20 million copies sold on sony's ps4 red dead redemption 2 14 million

just 9 Million on xbox one red dead redemption 2 just 5.7 Million

Game sales is where it's at the stuff on release, subscriptions are just a method to earn money on older games past their release date, wich aren't that profitable anymore. and let's not forget those sweet royalties that microsft has to pay to sony while they earn money  ::)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Xbox_One_video_games

Also let's not forget current era is all about dlc and micro transactions. DLC alone is usually over 30$ per game, considering how sony has more than double the game sales for most games they have way more people spending good money on those.

What is gamepass compared to that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:53:26 am by sworddude »

All three companies will stop making their own consoles, probably as soon as the generation after this coming one. They'll be replaced by subscription cloud gaming services that you can play on any device. So in a way Nintendo games will still be exclusives, but not to a console just to a SaaS platform. Microsoft has the biggest head start on this and they'll likely see the biggest payoff from this before this next gen is even over. Pretty much all software distribution is heading in this direction and video games will be no different.

If there are 10th gen consoles they all essentially be dedicated client's for the company's software and games. There won't be any physical media at this point.

I would like to Sega get back into the console game once again.

sworddude

Could you imagine if only sega and nintendo where in the console market like them olden days but in the current era. A console market withouth sony or microsoft or them being tiny at best like 3d0 or jaguar.

Yakuza would have been the mainstream GTA series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=35&v=-NYVZnDuQAc&feature=emb_logo

SEGA would return on the surface to come back with it's all new Mega Master Dream Jupiter ???  8)
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

That might be the future but in the present day microsoft is kissing sony's feet for every game disc that they sell.

Sweet sweet royalties for blue ray to sony.

Also your ignoring game sales, both digital and physical. sony wins in that department by allot.

brand new game sales especially during release is where the money is at, those subscriptions are just a nice bonus. your overestimating this source of income. it's nice but at the end of the day it's for the older stuff that isn't at that sweet spot revenue like for new games. Can we btw not forget how ps4 has an insane amount of exclusives compared to microsoft including big triple AAA titles.. ps4 winning winning this war hard it's not even a competition.

Let's take GTA V for example

20 million copies sold on sony's ps4 red dead redemption 2 14 million

just 9 Million on xbox one red dead redemption 2 just 5.7 Million

Game sales is where it's at the stuff on release, subscriptions are just a method to earn money on older games past their release date, wich aren't that profitable anymore. and let's not forget those sweet royalties that microsft has to pay to sony while they earn money  ::)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Xbox_One_video_games

Also let's not forget current era is all about dlc and micro transactions. DLC alone is usually over 30$ per game, considering how sony has more than double the game sales for most games they have way more people spending good money on those.

What is gamepass compared to that.

Gamepass doesn't give you DLC (Maybe in rare cases) so throwing that out to discredit gamepass doesn't make sense. If you want the "complete: game on gamepass, you have to buy the DLC. You get like a 10% discount, but MS is making money hand over fist with GP (It's extremely popular and lucrative). i know sony has a gaming service as well, but it's not much more than a blip.

I don't care for gamepass myself at all, but it's a lot more significant than you seem to realize...and it will impact the future of gaming. 

telly

SEGA would return on the surface to come back with it's all new Mega Master Dream Jupiter ???  8)

I'd buy it!
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery