Author Topic: I want to get into Sega systems which Sega system do you guys recommend  (Read 4832 times)

dreama1

Re: I want to get into Sega systems which Sega system do you guys recommend
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 07:40:47 pm »
wonderboy 2 had issues.

ferraroso

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 07:45:22 pm »
Since you are an otaku, a gamer, a final fantasy fan/huge fan aka final fantasy nerd, a hentai fan, loves hentai both vr & non-vr & loves hentai stuff too, I'd recommend the Sega Pico...

castlevaniaguy86

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 12:32:26 pm »
Stay away from Saturn & CD unless you've got very deep pockets. Genesis & Master are the 2 cheapest atm with only a handful of stupid expensive titles. Game Gear isn't bad right now but 32X is on the rise so might wanna steer clear of that unless you can find some good deals.
CastlevaniaGuy86

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 07:14:47 pm »
Least expensive way would be Master System but around me near impossible to find. I would start with genesis/sega cd some things can get pricey but mostly reasonable and easier to find.Dreamcast is also a great system to collect for but can get pricey and are harder to find.If you don't mind droping alot of money you could go saturn but it's even harder to find games and expensive as hell.

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2020, 03:13:59 am »
Least expensive way would be Master System but around me near impossible to find. I would start with genesis/sega cd some things can get pricey but mostly reasonable and easier to find.Dreamcast is also a great system to collect for but can get pricey and are harder to find.If you don't mind droping alot of money you could go saturn but it's even harder to find games and expensive as hell.

don't get me wrong but unless where talking full sets I don't see how master system is cheaper. Sure it has tons of cheap titles but they are kinda bad. your better off with nes let's be honest here. the good stuff ain't that cheap even common stuff such as fantasy zone

Meanwhile genesis has cheaper consoles and games wich are cheap while being some of the best on the console.

alladin, sonics or what about the 6 pack that includes streets of rage, golden axe and revenge shinobi. these are literally some of the best games on the system for dirt cheap.

to name some examples getting some decent platformers or even shootemups is a possibility for cheap prices aswell. How is genesis not cheaper than master system. and if where talking filler trash titles the genesis has plenty of stuff aswell for dirt cheap. unless your going for full sets genesis is definitely way cheaper while you might actually have a good time aswell. plenty of good games that are affordable while with master system your paying for trash.

Seriously if where only talking actual cheap titles if you go for an 8 bit system just go with nes than you'll actually have some good games. with master system your missing out on almost all the go to titles.

in cib, boxed and cart only genesis is definitely cheaper while still having quality titles. and that's aside from the fact that master system is a bit more pricy in the US than it is from europe.

but legit why would you buy a cheap altered beast on master system vs the superior version on genesis at the same price. I don't see the win here.  master system definitely has dollar games, but they are actual trash, with genesis you might actually have a shot at something decent at those prices. I'd even argue your getting better value of cart only snes vs cart only master system since snes is once again also a system with cheap cart only good games.

like seriously if you want to have a good time and systems for affordable games in 2d era

it's nes, snes and genesis.

I would only include master system if you don't mind mostly filler titles, the above 3 systems have both filler and actual good stuff for cheap.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 04:04:26 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2020, 11:50:32 am »
Genesis used to be one of the cheapest to collect for. But it's been gaining steam the last few years. I think in 2020, he's right, Master System is cheaper to collect for.

And SNES cheap? Have you looked up Super Metroid or Link to the Past lately? And those are common titles.

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 11:58:53 am »
Genesis used to be one of the cheapest to collect for. But it's been gaining steam the last few years. I think in 2020, he's right, Master System is cheaper to collect for.

And SNES cheap? Have you looked up Super Metroid or Link to the Past lately? And those are common titles.

super R type 8 to 12$ is cheaper than a cart only R type on master system, cheap as chips. Super r type on snes is actually pretty good, master system r-type while an impressive port is subpar. if you want a decent shoot em up on master system it's the common fantasy zone wich is 30$ cart only. you can get quite some shootemups cart only on snes for 10ish $ only. and don't get me started on the shootem up king that is the genesis, so how is the master system cheaper again  ::)

street fighter II 8 - 12$ snes one of the best 2d fighting games what comes close in master system for that value?  again cheap as chips there are so many cheap games cart only on snes that are actually pretty nice. meanwhile pretty much all the go to master system games even cart only are more pricy than those options. and that's aside from the fact that the console or the adapter is more pricy than a genesis console.

metroid and zelda where always expensive but there have always been way cheaper options for snes. that's not a good counter argument same can be said for the popular master system games. still even though zelda link to the past USA is pricy at 20ish atm. if you want an inferior zelda experience on master system your spending 150ish $ for a lose cardridge of golden axe warrior

What is going to beat sonic classics wich is 3 sonic games including 2 for 7 - 10$ every sonic game on master system is more pricy and inferior in gameplay and you got 3 with genesis for the price of less than 1 master system sonic game

Name me some cheap cart only games on master system that are worth playing, what kind of budget per game we talking if your talking cheap.

I agree that the top is higher, but them consoles have a lower entry point for decent stuff than the master system in wich cheap stuff is bargain bin filler material

let's pick one of the cheapest but best cart only games for master system

Shinobi 18$ cart only in the US

Why the hell would you pay that compared to 12$ for either the superior revenge of shinobi classics release wich is literally one of the best 16 bit games of all time
or the sega 6 pack for 7 - 10$ $ wich is revenge of shinobi streets of rage and golden axe and 3 other titles. and that's aside from the acces to decent lesser platformers shootemups etc good stuff to be had, meanwhile with master system  :P

How is the master system cheaper unless where talking dollar titles such as california games or sports titles in wich literally both the snes and genesis have plenty aswell. even snes beats master system hands down in terms of value.

These are cart only prices btw, also cib master system for those common games beats out genesis aswell so again volume is key.

master system console or powerbase in wich you also need a genesis console is more pricy. like seriously even the trash model 2 unit withouth a box in the US is twice the price compared to both the snes or genesis. Pretty nice start for the master system at being the supposedly cheaper console to collect for.
Your cheap titles are trash
Higher price point before games start to get good.
and if you are going to say that a price point of 20ish $ is okay, what in the master system category is going to beat titles such as megaman x/super mario world snes or streets of rage II/sonic 3 genesis wich are all low 20ish or lower aside from the acces to pretty much all great games at that price point of all 2d genre's

The only cheap thing about master system is that the pricy games aren't as pricy but seriously most people  won't get any at either consoles. and if your looking for cheap games full sets are out of the question anyway. Master system also has a fairly small library wich again is a big negative compared to genesis snes or nes.

Just because world cup italia, or california games on master system are found on the regular for peanuts doesnt mean master system is a cheaper console to collect for than genesis. cheap master system lots are absolute garbage there is a reason why it's so cheap. it seems to me that people look to much at only the expensive titles while they forget how many cheap titles the snes and genesis have that are decent to some of the best games on the system

It's not even a contest genesis is far cheaper and actually gives good value for entertainment. To collect and play master system at low prices, can be compared to eating bread crumbs while drinking tap water at thanksgiving. While you will actually eat like a king with genesis and snes at the same value.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 01:28:25 pm by sworddude »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2020, 10:05:45 pm »

don't get me wrong but unless where talking full sets I don't see how master system is cheaper. Sure it has tons of cheap titles but they are kinda bad. your better off with nes let's be honest here. the good stuff ain't that cheap even common stuff such as fantasy zone

Meanwhile genesis has cheaper consoles and games wich are cheap while being some of the best on the console.

alladin, sonics or what about the 6 pack that includes streets of rage, golden axe and revenge shinobi. these are literally some of the best games on the system for dirt cheap.

to name some examples getting some decent platformers or even shootemups is a possibility for cheap prices aswell. How is genesis not cheaper than master system. and if where talking filler trash titles the genesis has plenty of stuff aswell for dirt cheap. unless your going for full sets genesis is definitely way cheaper while you might actually have a good time aswell. plenty of good games that are affordable while with master system your paying for trash.

Seriously if where only talking actual cheap titles if you go for an 8 bit system just go with nes than you'll actually have some good games. with master system your missing out on almost all the go to titles.

in cib, boxed and cart only genesis is definitely cheaper while still having quality titles. and that's aside from the fact that master system is a bit more pricy in the US than it is from europe.

but legit why would you buy a cheap altered beast on master system vs the superior version on genesis at the same price. I don't see the win here.  master system definitely has dollar games, but they are actual trash, with genesis you might actually have a shot at something decent at those prices. I'd even argue your getting better value of cart only snes vs cart only master system since snes is once again also a system with cheap cart only good games.

like seriously if you want to have a good time and systems for affordable games in 2d era

I would only include master system if you don't mind mostly filler titles, the above 3 systems have both filler and actual good stuff for cheap.
Around me master system is definitely cheaper if you can find them but this is just my opinion.
It's ok if you disagree but you don't have to reply with a six paragraph rebuttal.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2020, 12:01:29 am »
My opinion... strictly my opinion
I’d start with Dreamcast. Most of the really good games are really common. Yeah, there’s expensive stuff, but those arcade style games are pretty affordable. Soul Calibur, Hydro Thunder, Crazy Taxi; these are all really common but great games.

My favorites on Genesis are stupid high. That’s why I don’t think it’s the best to start with. Castlevania, Contra, Gunstar Heroes, and TMNT are all expensive games. Emulate them or get a Genesis Mini.

sworddude

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2020, 06:14:08 am »

Around me master system is definitely cheaper if you can find them but this is just my opinion.
It's ok if you disagree but you don't have to reply with a six paragraph rebuttal.

have you checked price charting? Price charting ain't the rule. Deals for both master system and genesis can be found for lower or higher but still It's a guide line overall.

Also It's kinda hard to deny that even the console is far more expensive than both the snes and genesis. almost twice the price even the model 2

And with cheap games such as the 6pak, sonic classics alladin vectorman altered beast on genesis as some examples.

like seriously what's so cheap about the master system that can compete with that aside from the high entry price by needing a master system console.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/sega-master-system/sega-master-system-ii-console#completed-auctions-used

a model 2 genesis can be found for 20ish  a master system console at 20ish is not happening unless it's a really nice deal.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/sega-genesis/sega-genesis-model-2-console?q=sega+genesis+model+2

even a model 1 is only 40ish.

it's usually all 80 90 or 100+ for master system, sure cheaper lots exist, but same can be said for genesis plus even cheaper.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 07:28:55 am by sworddude »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2020, 09:20:52 am »
I’d start with Dreamcast. Most of the really good games are really common. Yeah, there’s expensive stuff, but those arcade style games are pretty affordable. Soul Calibur, Hydro Thunder, Crazy Taxi; these are all really common but great games.

My favorites on Genesis are stupid high. That’s why I don’t think it’s the best to start with. Castlevania, Contra, Gunstar Heroes, and TMNT are all expensive games. Emulate them or get a Genesis Mini.
Agreed that would be a excellent place to start you could concentrate on the cheeper stuff first then if you want gradually get the more expensive stuff.In my opinion the Dreamcast is the best sega console anyway.

sworddude

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2020, 12:11:43 pm »

Can't that argument be said for any retro console. I get it everyone wants the sought after games but doesn't dreamcast do the very same thing with those pricy gems such as cannon spike and gigawing.

I'll take dreamcast

my favourites are  fatal fury mark of the wolves, marvel vs capcom 2 or project justice or 3rd strike

I'm no expert but all those titles are also really pricy if not close or surpassing those genesis values, most of those genesis examples are 100ish cib same can be said for dreamcast

I'll give dreamcast some props though, in europe at least power stone is a very cheap title less than 20$ cib and that's definitely an S tier game on the system let alone one of the best multiplayer experiences on an old system period and sonic adventure is actually a good 3d sonic game

If where talking say master system same thing

your sought after titles are phantasy star golden axe warrior, ninja gaiden and master of darkness, some of the best titles on the system that any master system owners want but again kinda pricy.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 12:21:20 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2020, 12:21:45 pm »

Can't that argument be said for any retro console. I get it everyone wants the sought after games but doesn't dreamcast do the very same thing with those pricy gems such as cannon spike and gigawing.

I mean not really - at least depending on your definition of expensive.  Those games are generally at least double - if not more - than the price of the best / most popular games on the SNES and NES.  The problem with Genesis is that most of the best games are not common like those other consoles.  Sure everyone has some favorites that are probably a bit more pricey, but when you get down to brass tax the Mario games are amazing and usually $20 a pop.

sworddude

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2020, 12:25:43 pm »

I mean not really - at least depending on your definition of expensive.  Those games are generally at least double - if not more - than the price of the best / most popular games on the SNES and NES.  The problem with Genesis is that most of the best games are not common like those other consoles.  Sure everyone has some favorites that are probably a bit more pricey, but when you get down to brass tax the Mario games are amazing and usually $20 a pop.

what about sonic 2 and 3 isn't that the same, or the genesis 6 pak with revenge of shinobi golden axe and streets of rage 1

Also isnt streets of rage II considered to be the best beat em up by many for also 20$ cart only or what about rocket knight again. or what about shinobi III again low 20ish these are definitely top 5 or arguably the best games on the system. you'd be hardpressed to find any top 10 genesis that has zero of these 3 titles.

and if where going to go cib it's even worse

rocket knight shinobi III and streets of rage 2 top 5 games on the system are 50 to 60$ cib. these are some of the most popular games on the system there is no argument for that.

Let's go to zelda or super metroid wich suddenly are 100$+ to almost 200$ for super metroid. I know cardboard is fragile but I'm just saying even common games turn into gold with nintendo. with genesis cib doesnt give a massive price increase naturally. super metroid is a very popular yet it's double the price than most genesis games in cart only format. same price as gunstar heroes or contra hard corps cart only. wich both still ends up way cheaper cib.

contra hardcops and gunstar heroes are 100ish$ cib on genesis all my 4 titles mentioned are in that 100ish cib mark aswell. project justice is 200+ $  and canon spike is 300$

out of those 4 genesis examples none surpass the 200$ mark and half is 100ish

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 12:46:18 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2020, 12:45:23 pm »
Like I said, it also depends on your definition of expensive, not to mention my use of the word most, and not the word all.

Plus the Sonic games are not good.  I don't care who hears me.   :P