Author Topic: Best Retro System to Modern TV Adapter?  (Read 962 times)

telekill

Best Retro System to Modern TV Adapter?
« on: October 21, 2020, 09:39:18 am »
I've had a 4KTV now for a few years. It only has HDMI inputs so the usual direct connection isn't happening anymore. I still have my Genesis and my PS2 Slim to play both my PS1 and PS2 games. I ended up buying a cheap ($15 I think) AV to HDMI adapter and it works but not well. It stretches the screen a little but not all the way. Then there's basically no upscaling at all so it remains a blurry/muddy picture.

I'm wondering if there is a device out there that upscales retro games from AV SD to actual HDMI HD? I don't mind if it's only 1080p. I'm not expecting the moon with 4K output here, but I'm hoping for my retro games to look crisp and clear; not muddy and stretched as they are now. I'm also hoping that the adapter would just keep the original scale and not stretch to attempt widescreen.

Thanks for the help guys.

tripredacus

Re: Best Retro System to Modern TV Adapter?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 10:58:05 am »
OSSC is the go-to HDMI converter that I know about. Some may prefer Micomsoft's products, but they are hard to find and super expensive. I haven't used either, I still use CRTs or 4:3 LCDs for older consoles.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 07:46:16 pm »
I'm quite happy with my RetroTINK-2X, which is now called their 'classic' model.
I've also heard the OSSC is good but have never used one.

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 01:08:22 pm »
I've used both the Framemeister and OSSC and still have both in my setup today. I think the Framemeister is a bit more versatile, accepting more signal types and doing a really stellar de-interlace of 480i content, plus it accepts S-video and RCA like from an N64 or SNES. I like the OSSC a lot for stuff like Sega Genesis, Super NES, PlayStation, and 480p games too. They were both expensive, I think the Framemeister was $200+ dollars lightly used, and the OSSC was like $130. Overall, I still use and enjoy both, and I haven't kept up with the upscaler scene for a good while as the results I get from these two device makes me feel like I don't really need to. I would probably use a CRT if I had the space for it, but I'd still keep these devices around to get digital video captures from.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 10:43:43 am »
They were both expensive, I think the Framemeister was $200+ dollars lightly used

Well that's not expensive like I was thinking. Last time I tried finding a Framemeister, the cheapest I could find was an XRGB-2 for $650.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 08:08:55 pm »
They were both expensive, I think the Framemeister was $200+ dollars lightly used

Well that's not expensive like I was thinking. Last time I tried finding a Framemeister, the cheapest I could find was an XRGB-2 for $650.
I just checked the Framemeister and it goes for an insane amount of money nowadays. The OSSC is just as good if not better in most ways, there's no way I would use the Framemeister for my 240p/480p systems. I just prefer the Framemeister's de-interlace, plus I have my NES, Intellivision and N64 hooked up to it. The ~700$ you'd have to pay for one now in no way is worth it
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."