Author Topic: Must-have Atari 2600 games  (Read 2171 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: Must-have Atari 2600 games
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 05:22:29 pm »
And Cosmic Arc was fun also

aliensstudios

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 09:28:22 pm »
Gremlins is pretty fun. I also have enjoyed Pengo. If you can get Double Dragon at a reasonable price it's surprisingly decent for a 2600 game.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 10:16:20 pm »
Another game I would like to recommend is Activision Classics Collection on the PlayStation 1

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:47:12 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 10:46:27 pm »
Another game I would like to recommend is Activision Classics Collection on the PlayStation 1

This is a thread for recommending titles for the Atari 2600 because the OP wants get the actual console.  Naming games that might be in compilations is fine, but suggesting compilations for other consoles does not help in that regard.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 08:55:13 pm »
Some of my favorites:

Adventure
Cosmic Ark
Beauty and the Beast
Mine Sweeper
Quick Step
Fathom
Dragon Fire
Reactor
Vanguard

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2021, 05:52:54 am »
Hey everybody!
For my 2021 resolution, I want to pick up an atari 2600.
I didn't grow up with this system and therefore have no idea which games are good and which ones are bad.
If you could recommend one or two games, that would be awesome!
Looking forward to your feedback

Have you thought about what version of the Atari 2600/VCS you want to get? there is 3 versions of the Atari 2600 consoles you can get,

The original  wood finish 1977 one

Atari 2600 "Vader"1982 [/b]

The newer model 2600  (The Atari 2600 JR)1991

I once had an opportunity  to purchase a JR but all the buttons were entirely stiff and I could not move any of the switches. so I didn't get it
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 01:53:05 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2021, 09:17:58 am »
Thank you for all the recommendations!
I'm sure your suggestions lay the groundwork for a very interesting and diverse collection of Atari games!
I will most likely buy a woodgrain atari or Vader! The Atari Jr. and 7800 are options that just as viable but they lack the elegant look and go more for a cheapish plastic look.
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

gummo

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2021, 11:12:02 am »

I will most likely buy a woodgrain atari or Vader! The Atari Jr. and 7800 are options that just as viable but they lack the elegant look and go more for a cheapish plastic look.

There's always the more obscure Sears Atari consoles . The woodgrain Sears Video Arcade and sleeker Sears Video Arcade II . Or the Coleco Gemini for an oddity can still be had at a reasonable price though the solder joints tend to break on them , it's usually an easy fix .

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 07:24:43 am »

There's always the more obscure Sears Atari consoles . The woodgrain Sears Video Arcade and sleeker Sears Video Arcade II . Or the Coleco Gemini for an oddity can still be had at a reasonable price though the solder joints tend to break on them , it's usually an easy fix .

I'm from Europe and we don't have Sears so I think these will be my only options haha
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

gummo

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2021, 11:38:41 am »
I'm from Europe and we don't have Sears so I think these will be my only options haha
Ah , I missed that lol .

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 04:03:47 pm »
My 2600 favorites that still hold up well:

Kaboom!
The secret to what makes this game great is the paddle controller. The game gets faster and faster, and when you learn to keep up with it, it's awesome!

Crossbow
A port of the arcade game with good graphics. Hapless adventurers walk across the screen and you're the crossbow sniper that must move a cursor around to shoot the enemies that attack them.

Plaque Attack
Kind of like a fast-paced, dental version of Space Invaders. Various food items swoop in to attack your teeth, and you blast them with toothpaste.

Crackpots
Bugs attack your building, and your best defense is apparently dropping flower pots on them.

Warlords
Also based on an arcade game. With 1 player it gets a little dull, but with 4 players it comes alive as a competitive version of Breakout.