Author Topic: Nintendo Direct 2.17.21 thoughts?  (Read 2503 times)

Nintendo Direct 2.17.21 thoughts?
« on: February 18, 2021, 01:19:53 am »
The first major Nintendo Direct since September 2019 aired today. What did you think of it?

My favorite reveal was Splatoon 3. I wasn't expecting that at all and I look forward to playing that when it releases in 2022.

I was also happy to see Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville announced for Nintendo Switch. A great game I play frequently on PS4 can now be enjoyed by even more people. Unfortunately, while new features such as motion controls are being added they are not adding cross-play functionality to a game that could definitely use it.

On the negative side I found the new Mario Golf entry to be quite boring and lacking in Mario Golf charm.

I also am not fond of yet another $60 port. This time Skyward Sword. No new content but it is now playable without motion controls. The game is just $20 on the Wii U eShop but for Switch you need to pay an extra $40.. thanks Nintendo!

Whoops! I forgot about Stubbs! Looking forward to picking that up on PS4 at some point!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:54:19 am by weirdfeline »

astralsoul

Re: Nintendo Direct 2.17.21 thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 01:41:33 am »
I have mixed feelings about the Direct overall. I was mostly just Happ to have an actual Direct after all this time. But a lot of it didn't appeal to me at all. Really disappointed with the Smash reveal, as all I've been hoping for since DLC was even announced in the beginning was Crash in Smash. He is such an obvious choice and deserving of a spot yet they keep giving us these obscure characters or random picks. So right out of the gate I was let down watching this Direct.

That said, Legend of Mana was a pleasant surprise even if it's a direct port, it's one of my absolute favorite games, and I'll be so happy to play it again. Mario Golf looks okay, golf isn't my favorite sport, but I know I'll get it. Project Triangle Strategy looks pretty good and since I loved Octopath Traveler I have decently high expectations for this one although a Tactics style game is not my preferred genre. Zelda Skyward Sword HD is another okay game getting a new release, and not surprising that it's happening. I didn't love the game on Wii but I'm going to buy it and replay it anyway. Splatoon 3 is yet another game I'm just moderately looking forward to. I liked the first two games,and this was a big reveal overall,but it's just not my type of game.

So, for me, the Direct had extremely limited appeal. But I think overall it was pretty good, had a few surprises, and there was something there for everyone. Plus like I said it was just so good to even just have a Direct again after all this time.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 01:54:46 am »
Sincerely I thought it was boring, but not because the games were bad or something negative is just that I am not interesed in them.

They announced a lot of shooters looking games and rpgs with anime looking characters that I am sincerely pretty tired of seeing, I was hoping for announces of platformers titles because that's my favorite genre but besides that game of thecreators of Danganropa I don't recall anything else similar and Ghost n Goblins will be available for a console I have until the second half of the year.

Anyway it was fine direct, but the announcements weren't for me.
From Pyra in Smash to Splatoon 3 is just stuff I am not interesed.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 04:35:04 am »
Not a great Direct.  I didn't particularly hate anything, but it was mostly just ports and games we knew about already and the new stuff didn't do a whole lot for me.  Mario Golf might be a bit of casual fun since I haven't played the series since 64, but otherwise the only game was Skyward Sword HD, something I've been interested in for abit as I wanted to give it another shot, hopefully without motion controls, see if I hate it as much as I use to.  As long as there are other QoL stuff going on, I might actually like it more than when I first played it on the Wii.  It'll never be a great game, it had issues, but it could potentially be better than Wind Waker for me, which dropped to the bottom of the 3D Zelda list for me after replaying the HD version on Wii U.  Splatoon is okay, but it's a 2022 game, so it's basically unimportant for a long while.

Also, if it wasn't for Monster Hunter Rise, I'd probably be barely touching my Switch for most of the year until June/July, there is so little I want to play on the Switch and this Direct did little to say otherwise for me.

The biggest disappointment was nothing for the Zelda anniversary.  Sure we were teased Age of Calamity DLC and got Skyward Sword HD, but absolutely no mention of the anniversary itself and no talk of anything else.  No compilations, no new remake, not even Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD getting easy ports to the Switch.  It's possible they could have another surprise Direct planned next week, but that would be after the anniversary's date this Sunday.  I'm sure Nintendo didn't forget, I'm just not understanding where their headspace is for this right now.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 07:44:21 am »
Not a great Direct.  I didn't particularly hate anything, but it was mostly just ports and games we knew about already and the new stuff didn't do a whole lot for me.  Mario Golf might be a bit of casual fun since I haven't played the series since 64, but otherwise the only game was Skyward Sword HD, something I've been interested in for abit as I wanted to give it another shot, hopefully without motion controls, see if I hate it as much as I use to.  As long as there are other QoL stuff going on, I might actually like it more than when I first played it on the Wii.  It'll never be a great game, it had issues, but it could potentially be better than Wind Waker for me, which dropped to the bottom of the 3D Zelda list for me after replaying the HD version on Wii U.  Splatoon is okay, but it's a 2022 game, so it's basically unimportant for a long while.

Also, if it wasn't for Monster Hunter Rise, I'd probably be barely touching my Switch for most of the year until June/July, there is so little I want to play on the Switch and this Direct did little to say otherwise for me.

The biggest disappointment was nothing for the Zelda anniversary.  Sure we were teased Age of Calamity DLC and got Skyward Sword HD, but absolutely no mention of the anniversary itself and no talk of anything else.  No compilations, no new remake, not even Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD getting easy ports to the Switch.  It's possible they could have another surprise Direct planned next week, but that would be after the anniversary's date this Sunday.  I'm sure Nintendo didn't forget, I'm just not understanding where their headspace is for this right now.
VGC and Eurogamer who leaked Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Paper Mario: The Origami King and the Super Mario 3D World port have confirmed both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are coming this year.

telekill

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 07:48:02 am »
They didn't show anything that I'm planning to buy.... not even for my kids.

The best they had to offer (for me) was Zelda Skyward Sword and the fact that they added regular push button controls to it. Skyward Sword's forced motion controls on the Wii ruined me on Nintendo from a couple months after its initial release all the way to when the Switch released as they pushed "Play how you want" and showed the Pro controller a lot. I ended up getting the Switch for the family.

Zelda is my favorite Nintendo franchise, but Skyward Sword left such a bad impression that even with regular controls, I don't think I'll bother touching it. Had they announced Twilight Princess HD and/or Wind Waker HD coming to Switch instead... I would have preordered them immediately.

VGC and Eurogamer who leaked Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Paper Mario: The Origami King and the Super Mario 3D World port have confirmed both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are coming this year.

Glad to hear, but I won't hold my breath. Even credible sources get information wrong.

kashell

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 08:17:13 am »
I already knew about SaGa Frontier, and a buddy of mine texted me about Legend of Mana. Triangle Strategy is intriguing so I may check out the demo sooner than later. I'm still pretty busy with the SamSho NG collection on my Switch.

As for Pyra/Mythra: another sword user from a game I didn't care for. Xeno representation is great but still. Now, if KOS-MOS were announced it would have been enough for me to get back into Smash 110%.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 08:29:03 am »
Triangle Strategy is intriguing so I may check out the demo sooner than later. I'm still pretty busy with the SamSho NG collection on my Switch.

This was the most interested I was during the entire presentation.  I love Fire Emblem, and that art style makes my mouth water, so I hope it is good!

kashell

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 08:29:58 am »
Triangle Strategy is intriguing so I may check out the demo sooner than later. I'm still pretty busy with the SamSho NG collection on my Switch.

This was the most interested I was during the entire presentation.  I love Fire Emblem, and that art style makes my mouth water, so I hope it is good!
I'm downloading the demo now.

telly

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 09:06:46 am »
I also am not fond of yet another $60 port. This time Skyward Sword. No new content but it is now playable without motion controls. The game is just $20 on the Wii U eShop but for Switch you need to pay an extra $40.. thanks Nintendo!

Wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the Wii U version of Skyward Sword from the store like they did with Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 11:24:10 am »
Very disappointing. Literally everything I wanted to hear about was ignored. No Metroid Prime 4, no Zelda Collection, no Super Metroid Remake, and no Breath of the Wild 2. Not only no Breath of the Wild 2, but they came out saying they know we want to hear about it but won't. What a tease.

I guess Skyward Sword HD is cool, but I still haven't played my Wii copy of it, yet.

I don't care about Splatoon, I don't care about mystery novel games, I'm not into tactical strategy games. So this Direct didn't appeal to me.

telekill

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 11:57:04 am »
I'm actually a bit miffed they didn't mention much on Zelda given that it's what... the 35th anniversary? We recently got the Mario pack with the N64, GC and Wii games on a single cart. I was honestly expecting something similar with Zelda. I suppose there's still time for the rest of the year... but it's still a disappointment that all we got was Skyward Sword... the worst Zelda created in my opinion.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 12:05:21 pm »
I'm actually a bit miffed they didn't mention much on Zelda given that it's what... the 35th anniversary? We recently got the Mario pack with the N64, GC and Wii games on a single cart. I was honestly expecting something similar with Zelda. I suppose there's still time for the rest of the year... but it's still a disappointment that all we got was Skyward Sword... the worst Zelda created in my opinion.

They didn't do a Mario 35th Direct until over halfway through the year, so I'm not expecting anything until E3 at the earliest.

dhaabi

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 12:27:55 pm »
Splatoon 3 was the absolute highlight for me. I don't think fans of the series were expecting a follow-up entry for quite some time—I, for sure, wasn't. I'm definitely pleased with the new part of the world that was teased which directly exists because of the results of the final live event for Splatoon 2 which dictated the series's forthcoming direction.

World's End Club and Project Triangle Strategy are two more entries I'll be keeping an eye on. In a similar vein, the port of Stubbs the Zombie was definitely not expected. I had heard of possible leaks for a PS4 version, but I was certainly not anticipating it to extend to Switch.

Meanwhile, as always, the Nintendo Japan direct was different. If you're interested in the Boku no Natsuyasumi series, I think you'll be pleased with this announcement.

Overall, just as every direct, not everything was for me, which is perfectly expected and fine. Mario Golf: Super Rush seems to be most disappointing.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 12:32:53 pm by dhaabi »

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 01:44:42 pm »
Does it seem like we've been stuck in a near five year drought of Nintendo just re-releasing old games? They haven't had to spend a dime coming up with a new franchise entry since the Switch debuted. That's so lazy. Most of the games I get excited for on the Switch have nothing to do with Nintendo. Kinda sad.

Wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the Wii U version of Skyward Sword from the store like they did with Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Wow, they actually did that? So lame. "Nobody bought our last console, so now if you wanna play those games, you're buying our new one!" Smh.