Author Topic: Tomb Raider 25th Anniversary  (Read 3902 times)

telekill

Tomb Raider 25th Anniversary
« on: April 27, 2021, 10:34:06 am »

Well, 2021 marks the series' 25th anniversary. I've been a fan for the most part. I remember renting the first game for PS1 probably 3x or so. I decided if I got Christmas money, I'd buy the 2nd game that was releasing that year. The 2nd game was my favorite until the remake of the first with Anniversary on PS2. I loved the new mechanics that Crystal Dynamics had put into the series with Legend. Then the 2013 reboot happened which changed the series pretty dynamically. The reboot has been my favorite in the series since.

I do remember the low points of the series though. When Eidos had told Core that they wanted a new TR game every year, it was bound to ware on the team. You could tell they didn't really care once they got to making TR Chronicles. Then with attempting a reboot with Angel of Darkness, it went downhill pretty quick; at least with the glitches. I couldn't even beat the game with cheats due to game breaking bugs. The low point for the modern iteration for me was Rise of the TR. The gameplay was still intact, but the story written for it was sub-par and predictable. I didn't care about Lara's quest for that game and I believe I've only played it the once.

Still, I own every game that has come to a Playstation platform. I even had the GBA game at one point which was actually pretty fun given the limitations.

So this brings us to what Square is planning for the 25th Anniversary of such a milestone series in gaming history.... and the answer is kind of disappointing to be honest.

1. They have made a deal with Netflix to create an anime based on the series.
2. Various artists are making updated wallpapers that are supposed to be reimagined box arts for the history of games.
3. There's a cookbook for the series.... yeah.... a cookbook.  ???
4. A 25th Anniversary collectors statue of Lara... which we don't know what it will look like but it will probably be expensive.
5. A re-release of the newer trilogy of games for last gen systems (PS4, X1, PC) with no improvements; just all DLC.
6. Then we have a ridiculous cross over with Fortnite of all things.

Much of the fan base was hoping that Square would take this as an opportunity to release the original PS1 and PS2 games in HD. We wouldn't really need a remake of the first as we already got it with TR Anniversary on PS2, but the thought of seeing an original Tomb Raider game re-imagined on the new gen of hardware does give me a bit of hope for the next game.

A new Tomb Raider game is confirmed to be in development. They won't be showing it off any time soon so it won't be revealed during the 25th anniversary time frame. The cool bit is that the developer stated that as the previous three games were showing how Lara became the Tomb Raider we knew from the original titles, the new game is set to merge the newer games with the original timeline. That in itself has me pretty excited.

So what has been your history with the franchise? What was your favorite game? What was your least favorite? Do you like the way the newer games evolved from the original series? I plan to continue buying Tomb Raider games so long as they look like they're delivering a fun adventure.

As a side note, I completed my 4th Shadowbox project which revolved around Uncharted. You can see a couple photos of it in my gallery here in my profile. Not sure why I can't link them here but oh well. My next shadowbox project will be surrounding the Tomb Raider series and TR Anniversary for PS2 will be the inspiration.

Re: Tomb Raider 25th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 10:58:54 am »
Tomb Raider is a series I've always been interested in, but I've only played the reboot and maybe Underworld... maybe Anniversary.

I really need to do a franchise run if I ever start playing video games again.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 11:25:59 am »
A cookbook is interesting, did the games add a cooking mechanic? Haven't played past the original few games as a kid on the PS1. They were pretty hard so I never managed to beat them though. I'd love to see HD rereleases like many so I could easily play again. PS2 still hates my modern TV. I really need to try and invest in new cables or something when I get a chance. I just moved so I'm building and renovating what'll be my game room/reliquary. I haven't gotten my hands on the new games though. Probably won't happen soon with the house stuff, but I might lurk a bit and see which ones are peoples favorites.

I'd watch the anime is it's actually an anime though. Sounds fun. I was so bummed by Castlevania's series because I expected an anime when it wasn't. I also spent the entire first episode not realizing Lisa was THAT Lisa. Really I also struggled to recognize almost any other characters until I got their name do to the massive style shift. Hype trains and high expectation can really kill a series for me. Also, please don't say it's because I am a weeb and hate American animation. It's solely about expectations for me in this case. I felt bait and switched. However, a movie anime would have maybe been the best. I'd love to see Laura Croft in an anime movie tier wilderness with vivid wilds and highly animated animals. Makes me want to drool just thinking of it.

pzeke

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 12:36:01 pm »
What franchise hasn't Fortnite tainted...

Anywho, I also liked the second game the most, and also think Anniversary was pretty nice and fun. Still haven't played the reboot, but intend to sometime, someday.

I still find it funny to this day when them rabid neofeminuggets complained about no [strong] female "representation" in video games (and other media), yet that's what we've had since forever.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 01:48:02 pm »
I still find it funny to this day when them rabid neofeminuggets complained about no [strong] female "representation" in video games (and other media), yet that's what we've had since forever.

This is a pretty dumb take lol... really reeks of someone who has no female friends and probably has had very little or no success dating the ladies.

telekill

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 01:50:57 pm »

This is a pretty dumb take lol... really reeks of someone who has no female friends and probably has had very little or no success dating the ladies.

Let's not turn this into a P.C. battle.... be it politics or personal computer.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 01:59:14 pm »
He decided to bring that crap into the discussion about the game. I'm just responding to it.

If you have ever wondered why there are practically zero female regulars on VGCollect (and most online gaming communities for that matter)... it's because of posts like his.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 02:00:56 pm by chexmixbreath »

telekill

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 02:11:25 pm »
He decided to bring that crap into the discussion about the game. I'm just responding to it.

That's why I quoted both of your posts.

I think what we can all agree on is that Lara was one of the strong female lead pioneers and that she impacted gaming in a big way. We're here to celebrate the entire series and it's impact on the industry.  :)

covfefe2020

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 02:14:58 pm »
I was hoping I could get in here before the mindless Fortnite hate, looks like I was too late

:'( :'( :'( I hate it when a series gives beloved characters to a new audience
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

telekill

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 02:17:21 pm »
I was hoping I could get in here before the mindless Fortnite hate, looks like I was too late

:'( :'( :'( I hate it when a series gives beloved characters to a new audience

Fortnite hate shown is not even really directed at Fortnite but at Epic's decision to throw away all other projects such as the newer Unreal Tournament that was canned because of Fortnite's success. If you're a fan of the game, please enjoy.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 02:27:10 pm »
I remember liking Tomb Raider 1 and 2 on PS1 back in the day, even if the controls were always wonky at the time.  I never played anything else after that until the reboot series, of which I've only played the first two, which I liked, and will likely get to the third this year once there's some gaming downtime as I got it super cheap at some point.

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 03:42:16 pm »

If you have ever wondered why there are practically zero female regulars on VGCollect (and most online gaming communities for that matter)... it's because of posts like his.

Bleat me some more.

Let's not turn this into a P.C. battle.... be it politics or personal computer.

Don't worry, I said what I wanted to say. Whoever has a problem with it should simply learn to ignore.

I think what we can all agree on is that Lara was one of the strong female lead pioneers and that she impacted gaming in a big way. We're here to celebrate the entire series and it's impact on the industry.  :)

See, you got it. Let's not forget about Samus Aran, though (and those that preceded them in other media).

I remember liking Tomb Raider 1 and 2 on PS1 back in the day, even if the controls were always wonky at the time.  I never played anything else after that until the reboot series, of which I've only played the first two, which I liked, and will likely get to the third this year once there's some gaming downtime as I got it super cheap at some point.

Tank controls for the win!

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 04:28:22 pm »
Tank controls for the win!

Tank controls were my bane back in the day lol I don't remember if I ever beat any of the Tomb Raider games, I just like the ideas of them, much like Resident Evil.

pzeke

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 04:47:26 am »
I know they're often disliked,  but personally, I was never, and still aren't bothered by tank controls. I completed the first Resident Evil, and I think I beat the second one with Leon, but I'm not sure, while the third one I never bothered to finish, but could've. As for the first three Tomb Raider games on PS1, I never finished any, but got far enough. I remember I always ended up messing around her mansion.

telekill

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 11:04:51 am »
I know they're often disliked,  but personally, I was never, and still aren't bothered by tank controls. I completed the first Resident Evil, and I think I beat the second one with Leon, but I'm not sure, while the third one I never bothered to finish, but could've. As for the first three Tomb Raider games on PS1, I never finished any, but got far enough. I remember I always ended up messing around her mansion.

I lived on tank controls as most my favorite games from back in the day used them. I think it's a matter of adaptation by the player. I found people either got it or didn't. Those that didn't tend not to like it. Those of us that adapted didn't have a problem with it.