Author Topic: Returnal Thread  (Read 1329 times)

Returnal Thread
« on: May 01, 2021, 12:26:26 pm »
Havent seen anyone really talking about this one yet (although I might have just missed it) so I figured I'd start a thread. It kinda flew under my radar till I saw an article make a comparison to Metroid which immediately piqued my interest. I haven't really look too much into it, I know there are some rogue like death mechanics in there and its a 3rd person shooter... but other than that I'm going into this one kinda blind. It's installing right now and I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot! Anyone else going to be playing this?

Re: Returnal Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 03:24:29 pm »
I don't have a PS5 yet but I was looking forward to this game expecting it to be like the developer's previous games but now as a third person shooter. Seems like it's actually a really hard game though and I don't recall hearing about the rogue-like mechanics until this week.

I watched an hour or so of gameplay and it still looks really cool but the rouge-like mechanics is not something I'm interested in.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 04:21:33 pm »
I won't be playing it till later on, there's too much stuff out right now and at 70 bucks for a game I'm not amped for, it's a hard sell even if I want more PS5 games.  I watched someone play like the first half hour to hour and it seems neat, it is rogue-lite, but it's subtle rogue-lite elements as you kinda build what essentially a new full explorable metroid-like map every time, rather than it being a random room to room affair like Hades or most other rogue-lite games...so maybe more like Rogue Legacy in that regard.  Also it's abit bullet hell like, reminds me of Nier Automata that way.  Does seem like a good game though.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 04:23:14 pm »
I watched an hour or so of gameplay and it still looks really cool but the rouge-like mechanics is not something I'm interested in.

I'm not normally a big fan of rogue-like elements, but every once in a while it can make for a fun game, like with Dead Cells, and so far this game seems like its going to be pretty fun.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 04:33:35 pm »

I'm not normally a big fan of rogue-like elements, but every once in a while it can make for a fun game, like with Dead Cells, and so far this game seems like its going to be pretty fun.

Yeah same, rogue-lite was actually a negative for me for awhile, the games just end up being too frustrating, but Hades was a big one that turned me around on it abit because of how good the gameplay, story, and characters were and I think Returnal could be much of the same with the story and setting being so interesting.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 09:22:32 pm »
well so far im really torn... the game is gorgeous and really fun... until it isn't. I've been playing off and on all weekend and I still havent managed to beat the first boss... Im really starting to think I'm not going to be able to finish this one, which is rather disappointing because it really is fun, just a little bit to difficult for me..

telekill

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 08:23:44 am »
I won't be playing it till later on, there's too much stuff out right now and at 70 bucks for a game I'm not amped for, it's a hard sell even if I want more PS5 games.

That's where I'm at with the game as well. I plan on eventually getting it, but not at the $70 mark. I've been lucky enough to have gotten a PS5 at launch at a retail store (not scalped) and I still only have AC Valhalla as my only physical PS5 game. The other half dozen were given out with PS Plus. I really want another physical PS5 game but don't have the time anymore to spend on games I'm not sure about. I even have gone so far as to recreate a new box art for the upcoming Mass Effect Legendary Edition (PS4) that reflects my favorite characters from the trilogy and that has the PS5 box art template. Hoping a look at the back of the actual box art releases soon so I know exactly how many GBs will be required and what features are being pushed.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 03:44:10 pm »
Got it as Birthday Gift yesterday, it come in on Tuesday.  Looking forward to it, just because of how hard it suppose to be.
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 05:41:59 am »
Couldn't help myself, picked up the game and just went hard at it.  I'm so far okay with the game, the general gameplay experience is real good, the story is...so-so right now.  It's still interesting and I want to know more for sure, I'm maybe only halfway through the game if I had to guess based on the pivotal story moment that I won't spoil for anyone else, but it hasn't super hooked me in like I wanted.

covfefe2020

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 01:41:03 pm »
All I know is im following a PS fanboy on twitter and he wont stop complaining about it
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 05:08:28 pm »
All I know is im following a PS fanboy on twitter and he wont stop complaining about it

What would he be complaining about that much? lol It's overall a good game.  My only annoyance is that there's no one time save/checkpoint option in case you have to go do something else or your PS5 shuts down, because runs can last a couple hours long.  I know the point of the game is to keep replaying, but in other roguelike games, runs tend to be on the shorter side most of the time.  It's not game ruining at all, but for some people, it can be tough needing to invest that much time into runs.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 06:38:22 pm »
I know the point of the game is to keep replaying, but in other roguelike games, runs tend to be on the shorter side most of the time.  It's not game ruining at all, but for some people, it can be tough needing to invest that much time into runs.

There are talks they might implement some kinda of save feature in a future patch; I think there are ways they can do it without altering the core gameplay; like only being able to load the save once and having the game auto save if you die so you cant just load back to your previous save. With all that said.... I've given up on the game, not because i dont like it, but just because its too hard for me... I havent even been able to beat the first boss.. I kinda wish there were difficulty levels to it.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 07:19:10 pm »
I know the point of the game is to keep replaying, but in other roguelike games, runs tend to be on the shorter side most of the time.  It's not game ruining at all, but for some people, it can be tough needing to invest that much time into runs.

There are talks they might implement some kinda of save feature in a future patch; I think there are ways they can do it without altering the core gameplay; like only being able to load the save once and having the game auto save if you die so you cant just load back to your previous save. With all that said.... I've given up on the game, not because i dont like it, but just because its too hard for me... I havent even been able to beat the first boss.. I kinda wish there were difficulty levels to it.

Yeah I was actually gonna wait for the save feature they are considering before I got the game, but was too impatient and it's a relaitively minor feature for me personally, though I would've used it last night as I ended up making a real good run, even if my hands were aching some, but didn't want to stop because I didn't want to redo everything back up to that point lol

Did you explore the full map before hitting the boss?  It can be a bit of a challenge, I actually beat the boss on my first attempt, though I died once or twice on a second attempt because I didn't have a great loadout.  Mostly just need to try and get health related consumables like the one that give integrity, or there's one that exchanges your obelites for integrity, and there's a parasite that will give you an opportunity to survive a death if you can get it, and just make sure you can get up to a level 5 carbine.  I actually beat it with the shotgun the first time, but that boss is best to keep a lot of distance between to side step most of its attacks, as the only attacks you really need to dodge is the melee attack, the ground circle that you jump over, and the eye beams that can swing back around in the third form.  Also make sure the alt-fire is like trackerswarm, as I think that's the best alt-fire for it as the void beam requires you to slow down to use it.

*EDIT*
Having said all that, with where I'm at in the story, it's way harder than the early level stuff lol I was actually considering the game to be not that hard, but it's definitely taking a jump up in difficulty.  Certainly can't be faulted for finding it too hard.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 04:09:46 am by kamikazekeeg »