Author Topic: Gamescom 2021 Aug 25th - 27th  (Read 1378 times)

telekill

Gamescom 2021 Aug 25th - 27th
« on: August 23, 2021, 09:49:10 am »
Just a couple days away, Gamescom's opening starts at 10:30 PST / 1:30 EST. I believe Jeff Knightly is hosting it and he's been busy leaking some expectations about the opening... including an update on the new Ninja Turtles game that I've been hoping to hear more about.

Playstation is once again nowhere to be found so it's going to be up to third parties to bring any excitement to the PS4/5 userbase. Seriously.... what the hell is Sony doing aside from destroying their PR?

Meanwhile, Xbox is kicking things off a bit early.... Xbox Stream – Tuesday, August 24 at 10am - 12pm PT.

Nintendo is also absent at the moment but they've been showing off games pretty regularly.

I'm not sure what to expect so other than the Ninja Turtles update already confirmed, I'll expect nothing and then be happy if something I'm interested in is shown. Best case scenario for me is that Shenmue 4 is announced as in development. Worst case scenario as I'm expecting nothing... I get an update on the Ninja Turtles game only. This makes Gamescom a win/win for me.

What are you hoping for?

Re: Gamescom 2021 Aug 25th - 27th
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 04:45:05 pm »
Sony has their own State of Play events. It's been like this for years now. They just released Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut and Death Stranding Director's Cut will be shown at Geoff Keighley's Gamescom show. Horizon, Gran Turismo and God of War were pushed to next year.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Saints Row game and more of the LEGO Star Wars game. Xbox has said they will have no new reveals or major surprises and it's just updates to games releasing this year.

August 29th is Hubworld direct that focuses on 3D platformers. That should be good.

telekill

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 04:52:58 pm »
Sony has their own State of Play events. It's been like this for years now. They just released Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut and Death Stranding Director's Cut will be shown at Geoff Keighley's Gamescom show. Horizon, Gran Turismo and God of War were pushed to next year.

Oh, I'm aware and it's disappointing. It's been nearly a year since we've had a decent showing from Sony and that was just before PS5 preorders went live. What they need to do is a digital version of the PS Experience. Not this State of Play one main game and focus on indies. It's boring. We know next to nothing on what the first party PS5 road map looks like. We know Horizon 2, God of War 2 and PSVR 2. That's it and it's disappointing. PS5 is feeling like it's going to end up the console version of the Vita for first party.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 04:53:49 pm »
A release date for the Ninja Turtles game is what I'm hoping for, I'm very interested to see what they are doing for Saints Row as it seems like they might make a new one that's less like what the last few games were.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 05:44:57 pm »

Oh, I'm aware and it's disappointing. It's been nearly a year since we've had a decent showing from Sony and that was just before PS5 preorders went live. What they need to do is a digital version of the PS Experience. Not this State of Play one main game and focus on indies. It's boring. We know next to nothing on what the first party PS5 road map looks like. We know Horizon 2, God of War 2 and PSVR 2. That's it and it's disappointing. PS5 is feeling like it's going to end up the console version of the Vita for first party.
I just told you their first party roadmap, you left out Death Stranding Director's Cut and Gran Turismo 7. Everyone would complain when they would show games three years before release. Now they are trying not to do that and instead show games closer to release. Not to mention they've had lots of big games over the past year already release.

Xbox did the opposite and have announced pretty much everything they have but most of it is years away.

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 06:37:19 pm »
Xbox did the opposite and have announced pretty much everything they have but most of it is years away.

If I were an Xbox Series owner, I'd be wondering when a new first-party exclusive would be releasing. Nothing has been released so far, and everything that would be classified as such has a release date of TBA.

telekill

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 07:24:28 pm »

I just told you their first party roadmap, you left out Death Stranding Director's Cut and Gran Turismo 7. Everyone would complain when they would show games three years before release. Now they are trying not to do that and instead show games closer to release. Not to mention they've had lots of big games over the past year already release.

I don't count Ghost or Death Stranding DC's as part of the roadmap as they're simply ports. I honestly forgot about GT7. I'll add that one to the list.

I do appreciate that we had too much advance notice before and it would seem we're paying the price now with a lack of information. It's still not great PR and we need a Playstation showing of more than one game we already know about and a handful of indies. Something to be excited for the future of Playstation.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 11:43:27 pm »

I don't count Ghost or Death Stranding DC's as part of the roadmap as they're simply ports. I honestly forgot about GT7. I'll add that one to the list.

I do appreciate that we had too much advance notice before and it would seem we're paying the price now with a lack of information. It's still not great PR and we need a Playstation showing of more than one game we already know about and a handful of indies. Something to be excited for the future of Playstation.
They aren't simply ports though. Ghost of Tsushima added pretty much a new games worth of content with the expansion in the Director's Cut and at Gamescom they are revealing what's being added to Death Stranding. Horizon Forbidden West had a long, beautiful look at gameplay at the end of May and that's likely coming early next year.

I'd much rather hear about games releasing in 2021 and 2022 and not like.. 2026 with The Elder Scrolls VI.

telekill

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 08:10:28 am »
They aren't simply ports though. Ghost of Tsushima added pretty much a new games worth of content with the expansion in the Director's Cut and at Gamescom they are revealing what's being added to Death Stranding. Horizon Forbidden West had a long, beautiful look at gameplay at the end of May and that's likely coming early next year.

I'd much rather hear about games releasing in 2021 and 2022 and not like.. 2026 with The Elder Scrolls VI.

Once again, I know, but I still count them as ports. I'm actually playing through the Ghost of Tsushima Iki Island expansion now (PS4 version on PS5). I consider Ghost to be a generation defining game for PS4. Absolutely incredible game.

Secondly.... dear lord.... 2026 for Elder Scrolls VI? Will the X Series still be relevant at that point or will the successor already be out?

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 08:34:32 pm »
Xbox event was a complete waste of time. Having no show would have been better, letting anticipation build for when they have something to show but nope.

telekill

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 08:09:26 am »
Stray Blade has potential, but I don't have an Xbox or a capable PC. I'll be sitting that one out no matter how good it turns out. But yeah, no "megatons" shown at the MS conference. I don't think Halo even made an appearance. I kind of expected that.

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 02:15:13 pm »
Definitely looking forward to Saints Row, it seems like a return to the over the top gang warfare that was Saints Rows 2 compared to how ridiculous the series got from 3 on.  Which was still fun, but the series mostly moved away from that GTA feel and I feel like we could use that now with no GTA game on the horizon.

Marvel Midnight Sons visually looks cool, but I won't likely touch it since it's a tactical rpg game from the XCOM devs and I'm not into that stuff to much.

December release for Halo Infinite is nice, gonna be so good to play it on PC, which I haven't seriously done since I think the original Halo back in the day lol I did play a little bit of the MC Collection, but I haven't settled down into it.

Also hell yes, they are having other characters than the turtles! April is confirmed playable and I assume we'll have a bunch more as I think they are gonna fill out the picture like Smash Bros.  No release date super sucks.  And it's confirmed for 2022...bummer...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 02:46:18 pm by kamikazekeeg »

telekill

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 03:02:29 pm »
Also hell yes, they are having other characters than the turtles! April is confirmed playable and I assume we'll have a bunch more as I think they are gonna fill out the picture like Smash Bros.  No release date super sucks.  And it's confirmed for 2022...bummer...

Not thrilled about it being delayed to 2022. Fun to see other playable characters being added. I could see Splinter and Casey Jones making the cut.

I'm also wondering why it hasn't been announced for Playstation or Xbox.

Jurassic World Evolution 2 might be fun.

Horizon 2 delayed to Feb 18th, 2022. Not surprised.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 03:21:01 pm by telekill »

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 03:22:25 pm »
Unfortunate that Horizon is slipping into 2022, but it's only gonna be February, though that leaves no notable releases for PS5 this fall/holiday scene, unless there's something I didn't catch.  Like I'm looking forward to Death Stranding's new content, but that's more like an update/DLC release.

Also boy I wish that Marvel Future Revolution game was on console and not on mobile lol It's got a better art style than Avengers and I was never even that harsh on the visuals of that game lol
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 03:28:59 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 03:46:22 pm »
Also not surprised by the Horizon date.  Nothing really stood out to me, but I didn't think it was a bad showing today, overall.  I'm actually kind of glad that I'm going to have at least a bit of a window to get some games finished before anything major I want comes out.