Author Topic: Do you have a favorite Box art?  (Read 3120 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Do you have a favorite Box art?
« on: August 23, 2021, 08:49:41 pm »
Hello I was wondering if anyone appreciates the box art or box style of any specific game or games from a specific system.
My favorite style for a system is the sega genesis black case design and the old school capcom games on the nes.
Some of my favorite covers are Echo Night Beyond on ps2 and Wacky Races on nes along with Magic Night Rayearth on saturn.
And many more I try to face as many outward as space will allow in my collection.What are some of your favorite covers or design styles if any? And if so do you display them differently the others?

Warmsignal

Re: Do you have a favorite Box art?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 11:10:06 pm »
As far as the box art template, I'd say the N64. I also like the Jaguar, 32X, and Saturn templates. OG Xbox as well.

Favorite cover art? There's so many good ones I couldn't think of them all off the top of my head. Body Harvest, Top Gear Overdrive, Banjo Kazooie, Killer Instinct Gold, Dark Rift, XG2.

As far as other consoles... Nights Into Dreams, Croc, Ghen War, Machine Head, Shadow Master, Sentinel Returns, Jumping Flash, Kinsley's Adventure, Jet Grind Radio, Rippin Riders, Super Bomberman 2, Hyperzone, Sonic 1, Alisia Dragoon, Kolibri, CastleQuest, 8 Eyes, Snake Rattle & Roll, Cobra Triangle. I think I could go on and on, with cover arts that I like. A lot of times it's not necessarily the obvious titles that have the best art, it's just random ones. NES had so much great box artwork, with all the hand drawn stuff.

Maybe one day I'll take the time to actually make a top 10 or 20 list of favorite cover arts.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 11:12:50 pm by Warmsignal »

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 12:42:09 am »
I love 3DO box art- so large and expressive. Just really nothing like it- Virtuoso, Drug Wars, Space Pirates- the campier the better. In terms of the most artistic- I think NES/TG 16 usually had the best art. 

Kinda went downhill after gen 5/6

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 07:50:23 am »
My personal favourites in no particular order

Your Stylish Sword Master!

telekill

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 08:44:41 am »
I liked what Sega did when they rebranded their 16bit era systems and released the model 2. Red stripes for the Genesis, purple stripes for Game Gear, blue stripes for Sega CD. The yellow stripes for 32X looked god awful but I guess they wanted it to stand out. Maybe they meant for it to be orange initially but then didn't want anyone thinking they were copying the Ninja Turtles. lol

My favorite box arts are from the Uncharted series; specifically the first and second.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 09:31:29 am »
The type of box art (or art in general) where you can look into it and imagine being in that kind of world primarily those of fantasy or sci-fi landscapes. Late 80s/early 90s Psygnosis having Roger Dean (or Yes and Asia album cover art) creating their game covers are one example:

Anything with a city or a landscape or a vehicle of some sort.

Same as can be said about 70s and 80s album covers, or one like Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time. Same can be said about sci-fi novel covers.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 10:25:11 am »
My personal favorite is the Japanese release of Metroid: Other M

dhaabi

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 12:23:05 pm »
I'm a huge fan of beautiful and serene moments. Boku no Natsuyasumi and Chulip's artwork really capture that idea.

Game covers that rely on 3D physical art that has been photographed is always something that draws my attention. Eggerland is a great example.

Then there are the oddballs. You can't not love the cover art for Ka.

thewelshman

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 01:27:28 pm »

This was my first ever delve into RPGs. Best $15 I ever spent from the bargain bin.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 04:19:35 pm »
It's nice to see so much variety in terms of preferences for favourite box art contenders.

This was my first ever delve into RPGs. Best $15 I ever spent from the bargain bin.

it's a great series most definitely.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 06:46:10 pm »

the original release of Among the Sleep on PS4
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 09:35:34 pm »

My favourite two SNES artworks.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 11:31:12 pm »
Funny bit of trivia that I always have to mention, the EB artwork I believe is based loosely on the unexplained photograph dubbed "Solway Firth Spaceman", from the 1960s.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 08:22:21 am »
My personal favorite is the Japanese release of Metroid: Other M
That's a great cover!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 12:25:06 pm »
I'm a huge fan of beautiful and serene moments. Boku no Natsuyasumi and Chulip's artwork really capture that idea.

Game covers that rely on 3D physical art that has been photographed is always something that draws my attention. Eggerland is a great example.

Then there are the oddballs. You can't not love the cover art for Ka.

I liked these also never seen them beforr