Author Topic: PlayStation Showcase | September 9 2021  (Read 1525 times)

PlayStation Showcase | September 9 2021
« on: September 02, 2021, 08:52:57 am »
You’ve been awfully patient, and we thank you for that. And now we’re looking forward to showing you what we’ve been working on.

Tune in next Thursday, September 9 at 1:00pm Pacific Time / 9:00pm BST / 10:00pm CEST for a look into the future of PS5. The Showcase will weigh in at around 40 minutes and include updates from PlayStation Studios and some of the industry’s most imaginative developers, for games releasing this holiday and beyond. And stick around after the presentation to get more updates from some of the studio teams featured in the Showcase.

One thing to note: PlayStation’s next generation of VR won’t make an appearance this time. But there will still be plenty of great PS5 games from developers large and small. We hope you can join us!

You can watch live on YouTube and Twitch. See you next Thursday!
I wasn't really expecting this. This isn't even a State of Play but the second PlayStation Showcase which I guess is a grander version.

The first one had a lot of big announcements so I guess we are in store for something good!

telekill

Re: PlayStation Showcase | September 9 2021
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 11:37:56 am »
Finally. Their lack of communication was becoming so bad that the PS5 felt like a PS4 Pro Pro instead of a next gen system. To give a better idea... Sept 9th, when this event will occur, is one week shy of a year since the last Playstation showcase. We'll round it up to a year at that point. So it took Sony one year to give us some kind of communication on what to expect from PS5... some kind of roadmap.

It's about time.

Now... what can we expect? After a year of waiting for more information and the trickle of mediocrity that I've seen announced since these next gen systems have been released... I don't have much hype. Playstation has 25 years of IPs that they could have in the works. Many of their game series are dormant. I can almost guarantee that I have more excitement at what could be announced at this show than what my excitement will be after the show is over. The best analogy I have is that the "hype" comes from any number of rabbits that they could pull from their hat. It could be a continuation or reboot of an existing IP. It could be something completely new. The possibilities are almost endless and what you want most is included in those possibilities. The problem here is that the rabbits they pull from the hat could easily have mange. It could be a showing of games that no one wants and modern gaming has been stagnant for me since well before covid. I bought my PS5 based on the history of Playstation and the infinite possibilities that could be pulled from Sony's hat. It's all felt like mange as of late.

For a bit of positivity though... Here's what would have me genuinely excited...
 - Uncharted continuation
 - Shenmue 4
 - Warhawk (PS3) reboot with single player campaign
 - Tomb Raider continuation
 - Dino Crisis reboot
 - Dark and gritty Ninja Turtles single player game
 - Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge announced for Playstation.

Who knows what we'll get. For now... we have an infinite amount of possibilities. Time will tell, but I've been excited for showcases and state of play's before and usually come away disappointed. This time, I'm going to go into it expecting nothing to excite me. Hopefully I'll be eating my words after the show.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 03:38:34 pm »
Since PS5 launched they've released Miles Morales, Sackboy, Astro's Playroom, Returnal, Ratchet, MLB The Show, Destruction All Stars, Demon's Souls, The Nioh Collection and Ghost of Tsushima's Director's Cut. Death Stranding Director's Cut is right around the corner with Horizon Forbidden West in February, Gran Turismo 7 likely soon after and God of War sometime in 2022.

Pretending they've been sitting around doing nothing for a year is ridiculous. They've had at least three State of Play's since PS5's launch not including the Horizon and Ratchet specific ones.

They've revealed information at other shows like at Gamescom where they revealed Horizon's release date and more information on Death Stranding Director's Cut. They've announced partnerships with three new studios this year. Hermen Hulst (head of PlayStation Studios) revealed in June there are over 25 games in development for PlayStation Studios with half being new IP and the rest being based on existing IP.

To compare with Xbox's first year they've released Gears Tactics at launch, Microsoft Flight Simulator a year after the PC release and Psychonauts 2 which they inherited after buying Double Fine and that's on PlayStation since it was a crowdfunded game. The rest are just patched versions of Xbox One games. Not sure they treat them as actual new versions but Sony has also done this with games like Days Gone and most recently Horizon Zero Dawn.

Forza Horizon 5 is coming in November and that looks great and then Halo Infinite finally launching in December after it was supposed to be a launch title. They are currently deathly afraid to show actual campaign footage but at least the multiplayer is free. Xbox seems like a good place if you just want games to be announced and don't care if they ever actually ship because most are years away. PlayStation is clearly focused on the present and actually releasing games.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 03:52:35 pm by weirdfeline »

telekill

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 05:22:22 pm »
Pretending they've been sitting around doing nothing for a year is ridiculous. They've had at least three State of Play's since PS5's launch not including the Horizon and Ratchet specific ones.

You misunderstand. They've done about what one would expect for a first year. The problem is that a majority of what they've done is ensure that PS5 is essentially a PS4 Pro Pro. What they need to do is admit that there are no generations and that they've adopted a PC-centric mindset where it's about the ecosystem... not about the specific generation of system. The roadmap we have for PS5 at the moment is three games... Horizon 2, God of War 2 and GT7... all of which will be on PS4 as well. Then we have PSVR2 which will be another $400 minimum.

I understand the business logistics of the processor shortage and ensuring your developers don't miss profit while also ensuring that your 120 million plus install base isn't left behind. I get it... especially during these uncertain times. It simply makes PS5 look unnecessary to those of us that bought one at launch. Sure. We'll eventually see the benefits of PS5 over PS4 beyond that of resolution and frames per seconds, but it won't be anytime soon.

I'm hoping that this showcase next week will give us proof that PS5 is more than just a PS4 Pro Pro.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 06:17:57 pm »
I'm once again hoping for Bloodborne, as I do literally every one of these events lol Give me that 60fps update or a generally better remaster and I'll be happy, because that means I can get back to my Soulsborne marathon I started last year.  There isn't anything else I'd be super amped for I feel surprise wise, like I don't want to see anything coming out next year, just give me stuff that's coming out in the next few months that I can really look forward to as I haven't played my PS5 much since the Yuffie DLC for Final Fantasy 7. 

I'm not disappointed in the PS5 at all, it was a worthwhile upgrade to older games and the few new games were good enough for a launch year so far, I mean I'm still playing it more than my Switch for damn sure, but more new games to be excited by would be nice.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 06:20:45 pm by kamikazekeeg »

telekill

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 06:28:53 pm »
I haven't played my PS5 much since the Yuffie DLC for Final Fantasy 7. 

How was the Yuffie DLC? I have the PS4 version of FF7R and enjoyed it. Is it possible to get the Yuffie DLC without upgrading to the PS5 version?

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 07:22:16 pm »
I haven't played my PS5 much since the Yuffie DLC for Final Fantasy 7. 

How was the Yuffie DLC? I have the PS4 version of FF7R and enjoyed it. Is it possible to get the Yuffie DLC without upgrading to the PS5 version?

I thought it was fun, it's a bonus chapter basically, I think it was only a few hours of content not counting completion, but I had a good time.  And I'm pretty sure it's PS5 only.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 12:20:52 pm »
I honestly could care less like why even bother announcing games and whatnot for a console you can't even buy at it's regulair retail price.

telekill

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 02:51:55 pm »
Ok... well apparently David Jaffe is hyping the hell out of the Showcase for next week...

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/09/god_of_war_creator_says_first-party_games_will_be_at_playstation_showcase_with_flying_colours

Quotes from the man himself:

"...You won't be disappointed if you are looking for the traditional, great first-party PlayStation."

"Sony's teams will be there With flying colours"

God of War Ragnarok is aiming to be a 40 hour game.  :o

"Just found out about a new [PlayStation] game they are making – no idea when it gets unveiled (maybe next week, maybe not) but just know when it does, people are gonna lose their f***ing minds! Bad ass!!!"

Take that as you will.

gf78

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 04:44:55 pm »
Since PS5 launched they've released Miles Morales, Sackboy, Astro's Playroom, Returnal, Ratchet, MLB The Show, Destruction All Stars, Demon's Souls, The Nioh Collection and Ghost of Tsushima's Director's Cut. Death Stranding Director's Cut is right around the corner with Horizon Forbidden West in February, Gran Turismo 7 likely soon after and God of War sometime in 2022.

In reality, the only true PS5 games in your list are Astro's Playroom,  Returnal, Ratchet, Destruction All Stars and Demon Souls which is y'now...a remake. And Astro is a fun but admittedly short preloaded glorified demo. The rest are also on PS4, The Show is on Xbox, etc.  I'm very much looking forward to Forbidden West and other exclusives to come.

I however have been disappointed with the PS5 itself. I've had some games crash for no apparent reason. My Controller wouldn't connect out of the blue requiring a hard reset to correct it. Unless specifically patched, PS4 games load as slow as ever unlike the Series X and the ability to upgrade storage is still not finalized while I've had an extra terabyte plugged into my Series X since day one. The size of the PS5 is ludicrous and required me to stand it behind my television to ensure adequate ventilation. There's also the lack of Quick Resume where I jump back and forth between a half-dozen games on the Series X and it even kept my progress during a power outage. I also find the series X controllers to be more comfortable and they work on Xbox One just as my Elite controllers work flawlessly on the Series X.

Looking at my favorite games of all time, the list includes Mario, Zelda, Doom, Wolfenstein and pretty much all id games. Skyrim, Fallout, Halo, Gears...none of these are on PlayStation from here on out if they ever were in the first place. I've also had no shortage of games to play on Series X including og Xbox, 360 and One games. Conversely,  I find it irritating that I can't play anything before the PS4 on my PS5.

Of course, YMMV.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 01:37:48 am »

In reality, the only true PS5 games in your list are Astro's Playroom,  Returnal, Ratchet, Destruction All Stars and Demon Souls which is y'now...a remake. And Astro is a fun but admittedly short preloaded glorified demo. The rest are also on PS4, The Show is on Xbox, etc.  I'm very much looking forward to Forbidden West and other exclusives to come.

I however have been disappointed with the PS5 itself. I've had some games crash for no apparent reason. My Controller wouldn't connect out of the blue requiring a hard reset to correct it. Unless specifically patched, PS4 games load as slow as ever unlike the Series X and the ability to upgrade storage is still not finalized while I've had an extra terabyte plugged into my Series X since day one. The size of the PS5 is ludicrous and required me to stand it behind my television to ensure adequate ventilation. There's also the lack of Quick Resume where I jump back and forth between a half-dozen games on the Series X and it even kept my progress during a power outage. I also find the series X controllers to be more comfortable and they work on Xbox One just as my Elite controllers work flawlessly on the Series X.

Looking at my favorite games of all time, the list includes Mario, Zelda, Doom, Wolfenstein and pretty much all id games. Skyrim, Fallout, Halo, Gears...none of these are on PlayStation from here on out if they ever were in the first place. I've also had no shortage of games to play on Series X including og Xbox, 360 and One games. Conversely,  I find it irritating that I can't play anything before the PS4 on my PS5.

Of course, YMMV.
They are all true games. Some are only true exclusives but it doesn't mean games like Sackboy weren't made for PS5 and then ported to PS4.

PS4 games do not load slow without patches. Majority of people agree DualSense is an actual evolution for controllers while Series X is basically the exact same with an added share button.

You're right. Mario, Zelda, Halo and Gears aren't on PlayStation. Shocking. All of the latest entries in the DOOM, Wolfenstein, RAGE, Fallout and The Elder Scrolls series are though and the next Elder Scrolls games is years and years away.

Why do you care so much about playing old games if you won't even consider games released for PS5 as true PS5 games since they are also on PS4?

telekill

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2021, 07:50:00 am »
Majority of people agree DualSense is an actual evolution for controllers while Series X is basically the exact same with an added share button.

Totally agree. The PS5's controller is hands down the best controller created and it blew me away playing of all things... Astrobot. I can't wait to see what they do with it in upcoming games.

Why do you care so much about playing old games if you won't even consider games released for PS5 as true PS5 games since they are also on PS4?

I have nothing against old games. Hell... right now I'm playing a PS3 game remastered for PS4 on my PS5... Mass Effect 2. What many of us were told is that certain games would be on PS5 only thus setting the PS5 apart and starting it's path as it's own system. A generation leap as Sony stated they believe in generations. They reversed that for various reasons and I understand them... but that leaves PS5 as essentially a PS4 Pro Pro. It's not a generational leap in anything but the controller and those controller enhancements aren't worth the $500 asking price of admission.

I just don't want the PS5 to be the next Vita.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 07:58:35 am by telekill »

ferraroso

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 12:24:10 pm »
If you ask me, this console hasn't even been properly released yet.
I don't know how's the situation where you guys live, but here in Japan, I've been trying to get my hands on a PS5 for almost a full year and it has been simply impossible.

gf78

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2021, 12:33:14 pm »
]
They are all true games. Some are only true exclusives but it doesn't mean games like Sackboy weren't made for PS5 and then ported to PS4.

PS4 games do not load slow without patches. Majority of people agree DualSense is an actual evolution for controllers while Series X is basically the exact same with an added share button.

You're right. Mario, Zelda, Halo and Gears aren't on PlayStation. Shocking. All of the latest entries in the DOOM, Wolfenstein, RAGE, Fallout and The Elder Scrolls series are though and the next Elder Scrolls games is years and years away.

So why did Horizon load slow as molasses until last week when it was patched? 

I didn't say they weren't true PS5 games as that is what's printed on the discs and they only work in a PS5. But Sony said "We believe in generations" while everyone tore MS a new rear for their cross-generation ideas. Sony did a 180 and are doing the exact same thing.

As for the controllers, if it ain't broke why fix it?  Nothing wrong with the slight changes between One and Series controllers. Instantly comfortable and familiar. Also no reason to buy a bunch of new controllers when the ones you already own still work. The Dual Sense is fine, but things like the touchpad will receive token support at best, same as the PS4 touch pad.

Your arguement is that I don't believe games like Sackboy are true games whatever that means and why should I care about old games because...I'm lost on this one. What does caring about older games have to do with Sony backpedaling and releasing what were supposed to be PS5 exclusives on the PS4?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2021, 12:36:36 pm »
If you ask me, this console hasn't even been properly released yet.
I don't know how's the situation where you guys live, but here in Japan, I've been trying to get my hands on a PS5 for almost a full year and it has been simply impossible.

PS5 and Series S/X are still nearly impossible to find in the states. Unless you are willing to pay a small fortune to scalpers on eBay.