Author Topic: Identifying different game versions  (Read 725 times)

Identifying different game versions
« on: September 25, 2021, 11:47:10 am »
So, I've been going through my collection trying to add the games I have and those I want to my respective lists on this site, but I've been a bit confused considering there are several different versions for many games for which the only apparent difference seems to be the serial code next to the name in this site's listings, so my question is, is there any sort of guide on how to identify each of these different versions on a console by console basis? Is one supposed to look for these serial codes in the boxes themselves or on the disks/cartridges?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

dhaabi

Re: Identifying different game versions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 04:22:11 pm »
For entries with item number descriptors in their entry name particularly, the name will reference information found on the packaging or item itself. Sometimes, the difference is on the box and other times the difference is on the media itself. And, sometimes, both. Ideally, the entry name descriptor will represent an element of the item that is outward facing such as cover art, if applicable. More information regarding how descriptors are used can be found in the Item Name post of the Advanced Style Guide.

Descriptors
Descriptors are used to differentiate similar releases where the result would be two items with the same name in a category.
DO NOT use generic descriptors such as "variant" or "alternate"

If the difference is an item number, that can be used as a descriptor.
In this example, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 had 3 releases for PS3 in Japan.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (BLJM-60191)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (BLJM-60269)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (BLJM-61006)

As of now, there are only a few in-depth guides created for specific systems on VGC, but hopefully this is an aspect that can be expanded upon in the foreseeable future. Nevertheless, Sony and modern Nintendo game releases do make identifying variances across the items quite easy.

Is there any specific question you have? While plenty of items do have descriptors in their entry name to signify a variant, many, many more do not. So don't feel as if every item in your collection requires it.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 03:58:20 pm »
Thanks! And yeah, I had some questions. I just so happen to have games such as Melee and Brawl which have several releases with different item numbers and I was wondering where in their boxes and/or discs should I check for those item numbers. I was also considering picking up games from other consoles such as the Switch and PS4 that also had more than a single print and therefore have listings with different item numbers, such as the Spyro Reignited Trilogy and Mario Oddyssey, and I would like to pick up the latest versions which should theoretically have all the patches on the disc or cartridge, and it would be ideal to know which version it is without having to remove the shrink wrap should I buy them sealed and then realize I got an older version, assuming of course those item numbers would be visible somewhere in the boxart. The question also applies to identify loose cartridges one might aquire for listings that have the boxart as the difference between two or more different versions, such as Pokemon Snap on the N64, which I would probably get loose and then try to figure out which print I got considering the listings for the game have the boxart as the most apparent difference.

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 05:06:54 pm »
I just so happen to have games such as Melee and Brawl which have several releases with different item numbers and I was wondering where in their boxes and/or discs should I check for those item numbers.

For Nintendo releases post-N64, identifying variances among items is generally easy, and especially so with first-party titles. Where you are wanting to look is at the bottom-right corner of the back cover. All first-party Nintendo games post-N64 also include EAN-5 barcodes, while first-party Nintendo games post-GameCube feature the EAN-5 barcode alongside two back item numbers. Another feature to highlight is where the item was made from, which is information also found on the outer packaging. Nintendo items made in Japan adopt the 0000X EAN-5 number, while Nintendo items made in USA adopt the 0010X EAN-5 number.

Using Super Smash Bros. Brawl as an example, additional changes from release to release relate to cover art (Fighting Game of the Year and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection labels) and to the color of the ESRB rating. Additionally, some Nintendo titles like Super Paper Mario may have different company logos (63182A, 63182C.) However, such additional changes do not always exist, and what may change certainly varies from item to item. Taking Nintendo Switch games that were released prior to Nintendo Switch Online's paid service, they have since been reprinted to include such information on the back cover while adopting the same main item number and EAN-5 changes (Arms 105644A, Arms 105644B.)

such as the Spyro Reignited Trilogy and Mario Oddyssey, and I would like to pick up the latest versions which should theoretically have all the patches on the disc or cartridge, and it would be ideal to know which version it is without having to remove the shrink wrap should I buy them sealed and then realize I got an older version, assuming of course those item numbers would be visible somewhere in the boxart.

While I know that Spyro Reignited Trilogy is a multiplatform release, I do know that there are two separate releases for PlayStation 4, with the second release having all content found on the disc. I've personally handled both existing entries that are currently in our database, and, unfortunately, there is nothing that I have found on the outer packaging that detail one version from another. For both entries, I've detailed the varying information that can be found. Of course, I easily could have overlooked something, as, for most of the items I work with in identifying variants, I am merely working with what information I can find online.

The question also applies to identify loose cartridges one might aquire for listings that have the boxart as the difference between two or more different versions, such as Pokemon Snap on the N64, which I would probably get loose and then try to figure out which print I got considering the listings for the game have the boxart as the most apparent difference.

Now, for loose items, figuring out which package the media belongs to often gets a lot more difficult to pinpoint. Especially for older items, to be accurate requires a trend of noticing how items are bundled together in online market listings or by watching unboxing videos of sealed items, with the latter being most ideal but uncommon to find documented footage. Since loose items over time can be pieced together incorrectly with the wrong package, it's important to recognize trends in how each piece of the product is bundled together. Sometimes, the media will have its own item number that is similar to a number found elsewhere on the packaging or other materials inside, although this doesn't happen in every instance.

In short, to identify differences, you'll most often times be inspecting areas like these across releases of any kind for the usual subsequent print.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 05:09:35 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 12:19:46 pm »
Thanks! Very informative, will keep that in mind.