Author Topic: Games in 2022  (Read 2187 times)

Games in 2022
« on: November 06, 2021, 02:16:51 am »
We are most of the way done with the year, only a few more games on the horizon to release, before we are set right into a full year of what I think could be some big titles.  2021 was pretty light for myself, like there was definitely a few good games, but I feel like for games I was excited for, it was mostly just Monster Hunter Rise, which was only okay, and Resident Evil: Village, which I did like, but some bugs kinda undercut my enjoyment.  What are you folks looking forward to?

Elden Ring - This is probably my most anticipated general release of the year, there's a couple that are close, but I'm pretty amped for this.  Taking Dark Souls and giving it a bigger open world to explore has me very excited and the recent gameplay showing they did that I lightly skimmed through looked great.

Breath of the Wild 2 - The first game is one of my top favorite Zelda games of all time, even with the issues I have with it, and I'm hoping Breath of the Wild 2 can greatly improve on the first one.  I want more proper dungeons, better and more bosses, better all around soundtrack and some gameplay tweaks.

Dying Light 2 - The first game was a pretty fantastic take on the zombie genre, having a pretty great open world and its movement system is still to this day very good, it's so much fun running around and they added so much to the game post-release.  I'm hoping the sequel can achieve something on the same level as I'm expecting it just to be a fun, wild, time.

STALKER 2 - A lot of "2's" here, though this is technically the 4th game in the series lol  STALKER is a long dead series that I never thought would return, that the Metro series would be the only thing that hits in the same way, but here we are, 12 years later, about to get a sequel to a flawed, but super engaging series that I really hope is the game I want it to be.

Bayonetta 3 - I'm not a crazy fan of the series, I never beat the first one, the sequel is great, but third one was like "Oh, do you want sexy battle witch AND giant kaiju monster battles?" and I answered with a clear "Yes".  I think this game is just gonna be some real damn good fun.

Honorable Mentions
God of War: Ragnarok - It's gonna be a continuation of the previous game, it's gonna be good, I'm just so use to games getting delayed anymore, I have no idea if it makes it out next year, so we'll have to see lol

Horizon 2 - I think this is gonna be a very good game, but I'm not super excited for it, like it's gonna be a big get for my PS5 for sure, but it's not a hype game in particular like the others.  It's kinda the same thing with God of War, where it's gonna be a great game, but I don't have the same excitement as I do other games.

Monster Hunter Rise (PC) - It's weird to be excited for the same game twice within a year, but while I liked it okay enough on Switch, the gameplay is fun, but after playing Monster Hunter World, it's so hard to enjoy a game in the same series that doesn't look and play as smooth as the other.  I did put like 60 hours into it the first time, but I'm gonna enjoy stuff more the second time around I think.

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge - I'm a big TMNT fan, so getting a legit new beat 'em up game with classic show inspired pixel art is pretty awesome.

Evil Dead: The Game - I'm not like the biggest fans of asymmetrical co-op games, but it's Evil Dead and it's gonna have Evil Dead stuff from across all movies and series, that's just gonna be goofy and fun.

Saints Row - It sounds like a return to over-the-top, open world, crime sprees, and I'm definitely about that at this point.  It's been years since GTAV released and Saints Row hasn't been like this Saints Row 3.

Hopefuls
Gotham Knights - I'm a big fan of the Arkham series, even Knight, so this sequel involving the Bat family could be cool, but it's looking more RPG like with co-op elements, so I'm not really sure on it yet.

Suicide Squad- Rocksteady is a good bet for games, though not sure on this one being a co-op title and that we haven't seen any gameplay yet, but I want to be excited.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus - After how poor of a game Pokemon Sword and Shield was, I don't know what to think.  I want a more open world Pokemon game, but I don't think Game Freak is capable of creating the game it needs to be, but we'll see.

BinaryMessiah

Re: Games in 2022
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 05:16:14 am »
I'm going to add a few games for myself. I'm not too sure about Elding Ring as I don't like Dark Souls or Souls-like games. They're not bad, I just don't have enough time to dedicate to a single game to perfection which those games need.

All the others you mentioned are exciting including Gran Turismo 7, Sifu, Tiny Tina's Wonderland, Starfield, A Plague Tale: Requiem (the first was one of the best games of 2020), Company of Heroes 3, LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga.

I'd also like to comment that the Metro series is created by the same team (mostly) who did STALKER.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 05:19:18 am by ivorysoul »

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 06:21:35 am »
I'm going to add a few games for myself. I'm not too sure about Elding Ring as I don't like Dark Souls or Souls-like games. They're not bad, I just don't have enough time to dedicate to a single game to perfection which those games need.

All the others you mentioned are exciting including Gran Turismo 7, Sifu, Tiny Tina's Wonderland, Starfield, A Plague Tale: Requiem (the first was one of the best games of 2020), Company of Heroes 3, LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga.

I'd also like to comment that the Metro series is created by the same team (mostly) who did STALKER.

Yup, it's why I'm such a big fan of the Metro games as they are were basically a spiritual successor to the STALKER games.

Starfield would normally make at least my hopeful list, but with no real info on the game and with Bethesda so badly damaged after Fallout 76, I can't muster up any interest right now.  Fallout 76 was such a miserable failure and blatant smack to the face of every Fallout fan, combined with how they went on to handle the game for a long while after and it's crappy monetization stuff they worked into that dumpster fire...it's so frustrating.  Like the game was definitely improved and made very playable eventually, but I don't know if there is ever been a series for me that felt so irreparably damaged after a game.  Once they fully reveal Starfield, they have to blow me away so completely with like the engine and what you can do to even get me interested again in anything Bethesda, because I'm still pissed about Fallout 76 three years on lol
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 06:25:23 am by kamikazekeeg »

telekill

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 08:07:46 am »
Not sure what happened but it as I've aged, it's become far more difficult to get me excited for a videogame. I'm looking forward to games like Horizon 2, Zelda BotW 2 and God of War 2 for sure but they aren't exciting to me. So far there's only two that have me excited...

- Instinction - Set for September 2022 but could easily get pushed back. I could go into more detail... and I did in the thread just below this one: https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,11315.0.html. Game looks fantastic. Now I'm hoping that gameplay looks good as well.

- Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - I loved the Ninja Turtles games during the 8 and 16bit days so this is right up my alley. My plan is to get the Switch version for the family to play locally and if confirmed for PS5, I'll get a copy on that too to play online with my friends. No problems double dipping on this one as it'll be cheaper to buy a second copy then extra PS5 controllers or Nintendo's online. The only thing I'm hoping is in the works as well is a dark and gritty TMNT game with modern graphics. Not related to this title, but a hope I've had for years.

That's it. That's what I'm excited about and sadly, nothing else shown for the last two years, besides Mass Effect 5 which definitely won't release in 2022, has me excited.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 12:46:56 pm »
Not too much I'm looking forward to in 2022, there's Atelier Sophie 2, The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero, and the new Kirby. I'm not really sure I'm going to be getting any of them at launch, other than maybe Trails from Zero, even though I've already played the original PC version that's based off the PSP original and the version the official localization is based off of is marginally different.

I will say, I'm definitely not terribly excited about the new Saints Row. I'd love a new one in the style of 1 and 2 but since the devs have made their opinions on those two games very clear I doubt that's going to happen. I'll probably buy it if it drops to like $5 - $10 but otherwise I don't plan on it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 01:52:05 pm by hatkid »

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 02:32:43 pm »
Honestly just looking forward to Golf Story's sequel; Sports Story.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

dhaabi

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 03:45:46 pm »

You may be interested in RPGolf Legends. While there hasn't been any word on a Western release, the upcoming Japanese physical release will support English language.

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 06:18:23 pm »
Elden Ring is the big hitter for me.  I've got it pre-ordered, but anything else I'm not that interested in getting right away, other than maybe BotW2.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 01:57:29 am »
Two games that immediately come to mind that I'm very hyped for next year are Gran Turismo 7 and King of Fighters XV. Both are from franchises I've loved for a long time and I cannot wait to try their newest entries. Other than that I can't think of a ton of games I'm hyped for. I cautiously optimistic about Pokemon Arceus, but this will not be a day one purchase for me; Pokemon has stagnated heavily as a series and I feel like each time they do change something it often makes the game worse somehow. But we'll see. Other than that there are games I might be more interested in when it comes closer to their release date like the new TMNT game or Bayonetta 3.

What I'm probably looking forward to the most though is what announcements we'll get next year. I feel like 2021 was more of a wash in terms of new game releases than 2020. At least in 2020 we got stuff that was in development before studios had to figure out how to create a games when no one was in the same room or building anymore. This obviously delayed the development and release of games significantly which meant 2021 was a very quiet year for the most part. I'm hoping with people returning back to their offices that we'll start getting a steady stream of new game announcements like in the past. I'm really hoping for a much better E3 this year as well as just random big announcements throughout the year via Nintendo Direct, State of Play, or other game cons. Would love to get a Shenmue 4 or Jedi Fallen Order 2 announcement or an actual release date on games that have been teased like Dragon Age 4.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 04:45:46 am »
Stray, Hogwarts Legacy, Tinykin and Kirby and the Forgotten Land are my current top four.

I really hope we see more of Hogwarts Legacy soon. Perhaps at The Game Awards? The third Fantastic Beasts movie is scheduled for April so if the game released around that time that would be awesome.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 11:58:27 am »
Arkham Knights is very exciting for me. I loved all the Arkham games. Masterpiece games. But the co-op stuff has me a bit worried. Arkham games were always single-player experiences. Though I will still get it and give it a go just due to the fact that it is an Arkham game.

Breath of the Wild 2 is another I'm very excited about, but then who knows when it's actually coming out. Same goes for Metroid Prime 4.

I would be excited for God of War Ragnarok and Spider-Man 2 if I had a PS5.

aliensstudios

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 12:07:22 pm »

You may be interested in RPGolf Legends. While there hasn't been any word on a Western release, the upcoming Japanese physical release will support English language.
That looks pretty awesome! I'll probably be getting that. Thanks for telling me about it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

megasilverx1

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2021, 09:12:44 pm »
I'm not sure if it'll be releasing in 2022, but I'm really looking forward to Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake. Other than that, the Advance Wars 1+2 remake, Bayonetta 3, Breath of the Wild 2, and Freedom Planet 2 come to mind.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 09:04:39 pm »
Indeed, I am thankful for another year in this place, I have loved the community.

I am only interested in GetsuFumaDen Undying Moon, Sonic Frontiers and I think the Kirby open world game, the rest is stuff I am open to acquire at some point.

I am way too busy almost all the time for checking up another games besides the stuff I am aware that exists.

I hope Switch still has 2 or 3 before Nintendo pulls the Switch (ha), PS5 and SeriesX are still like 900$ in most stores (from my homeland) so there no plans for get one, right now.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

thewelshman

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 05:06:10 pm »
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero is the game I'm looking forward to. Probably the only one at this time. I played roughly half the game with the original fan translation and then almost to the same point with the Geofront's translation. I need to go back in and play the rest of it even if I'm going to play it again when its released.