Author Topic: Video Game New Years Resolutions 2022  (Read 2370 times)

Video Game New Years Resolutions 2022
« on: December 24, 2021, 12:45:59 pm »
I know we still have a week left in 2021, but I figured it would be a good time to think about what are plans and goals are for 2022 that we hope to accomplish when it comes to collecting, playing games, or just video games in general. So what are you 2022 Video Game Resolutions VGcollect?

Re: Video Game New Years Resolutions 2022
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 01:01:26 pm »
Here are mine:

1. Complete the 52 games challenge again
I look forward to doing this all year round and it's actually my favorite part of this website at this point. It's really motivated me to actually play the games in my collection versus just admiring them on a shelf (which is also fun lol). But this year I just barely made the 52 games goal (at 53 right now), and while technically to meet this goal i'd just have to complete 52 games, I would like to actually aim higher, maybe even in the mid 60s if possible. However, even if I do just beat 52 games I'll consider this one completed

2. ACTUALLY update my collection here on VGcollect!
I think I've said I was going to do this now for the past year, maybe two, but this year I actually plan on doing it. I will likely have the perfect opportunity to do so later this year as part of another resolution of mine further down. Once I do update it and it's once again accurate I then will try and stay on top of it like I used to.

3. Move my gameroom into my own house
I received a fairly big promotion at work earlier this year which came with a sizable increase to my annual salary. More or less I actually can afford a house now and I have every intention of buying one sometime this year. My wife and I are aiming to move sometime this Spring or Summer, but even if I'm unpacking boxes on New Years Eve next year I'll consider this one accomplished. My game room has changed locations many times over the years, but it will be nice to finally have it settled in a place I know it will remain for hopefully most of my life going forward.

4. Purchase my first arcade cabinet
Like anyone searching for a house to buy, my wife and I have certain things we're looking for, and one of mine that she has given the okay on is a large basement, preferably with walk in capabilities for me to finally create my home dream arcade. I cannot express how excited I am to start this even though making it exactly how I want will likely take at least a decade if not longer. More or less I'm going to recreate a 90s arcade I used to go to as a kid and teen, but make it even better by only including cabinets and pinball machines I really like. But to begin this journey I would like to purchase at least one arcade cabinet to kick off this ambitious plan. Depending on when we move and buy our house this might not happen until 2023, but I'm hoping I can accomplish this before the end of the year.

5. Continue building my CIB retro game collection
While I still acquire new games for my collection (mostly modern titles), I have been steadily trying to complete games where I just have the loose cart. This currently includes games on Nintendo 64, SNES, Genesis, and Gameboy/Gameboy Color/GBA. I guess given my other goals that will be a major financial drain, I will be conservative with this goal and say it would be nice to complete 10 of my cart only games by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 01:17:58 pm by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 01:10:27 pm »
My gaming resolutions:
  • To obtain more of the games on my VGCollect wishlist
  • Sell off my sealed games (after getting them graded)
  • Get my online game store up and running
  • To build up a decent SNES CIB collection

kashell

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 01:34:21 pm »
Play as many games as possible. I'll try to remember to post in the 52 topic, too.

telekill

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 02:44:48 pm »
I received a fairly big promotion at work earlier this year

First off, Congrats on the promotion!

As for staying on topic... my new years resolutions are slim for gaming in 2022. I have zero expectations for my gaming time to increase any time soon so I'll take gaming one day at a time.

I would, however, enjoy creating a couple more of those shadowboxes that I've been making. As per usual I'll be buying a complete copy of a game in each series if I don't already have one. Series runner ups include...
 - Mass Effect (Legendary Edition PS4)
 - Sonic the Hedgehog (Original Genesis which I own or Sonic Triple Trouble for Game Gear)
 - Legend of Zelda (Twilight Princess on Gamecube which I have)

I may end up including a couple others that I'll be gifting out to friends and family like I did with the Destiny one I made for my brother.

soera

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 03:51:26 pm »
My main goal is to blow up and then act like I don't know no body https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y55XrE1ghfk&t=6s

In all seriousness, I have a few things I'd like to accomplish in '22.

1 - Sell my extras. Sold off a big section last night so that's a nice start!
2 - Backlog. Think I knocked out a cool dozen games this year, so I'd like to keep that going.
3 - PS4 console/controller collection completion. 2 (maybe 3) consoles left I want. Probably the same number of controllers.
4 - Round off my PS4 game collection. I've cut back on buying a lot and would like to do even less buying next year. Hoping to limit it to 3 games a month max.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 09:52:36 pm »
- Finish the to - buy list.
- Ended the games that I started years ago and I liked but I didn't brother to finish.
- Buy a Classic Xbox and maybe a Gamecube.

Umm.
Nothing else, I am mostly happy with the stuff I have right now.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

bizzarnage

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 10:42:31 pm »
Well, it's been a heck of a year for us all in so many ways, so I'm honestly just glad to be a part of the community! But my gaming new years resolution's are pretty simple;

-Pay attention to any games getting CE's ahead of time so as to avoid the viciousness of third party resellers (Scalpers)
-Diving into & streaming my backlog
-Staying away from casual trips to eBay
-Finding more local multiplayer/couch co-op games to play with my wives instead of raging out in online ranked modes
-Focusing on disc based media instead of diverting to cartridge cardboard boxed games bc WOW are they expensive, goddamn

Hoping everyone here has a great holiday season & get some of the goddies they have on their wishlist!
Do I look like I celebrate Festivus? 依ヴど疫 ヺ び慰

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2021, 04:52:55 am »
I think I've spent more time playing games this week than I have most of the year so I just want to continue playing a lot.

kypherion

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2021, 02:18:02 pm »
1. Get over 600 games. While I technically own over 600, I have about 20 dupes or so from owning physical and digital copies.

2. Beat currently unfinished games I'm playing such as the FF7 remake and Persona 5 Royale. Maybe even Persona 3 as well.

3. Play more of my backlog and try to get some more perfect games (all achievements) on Steam.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 02:19:59 pm by kypherion »
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2021, 11:28:51 pm »
I received a fairly big promotion at work earlier this year

First off, Congrats on the promotion!

Thank you! Yeah it was a long time coming, but it finally happened over the summer. I'm very excited to have new opportunities open up for me as a result.

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2021, 03:27:20 am »
I think my main objective is to play more classic games. I think the process of playing a game without trophy is a bit lacking in my mind - I will say that I have at least stopped aiming for Platinums if their too much of an effort & I don't bother with collectables in games any more. In particular I want to play more classic JRPG's - The biggest issue I have is that a lot of JRPG series have silent protagonists which I cannot stand! yet there are still many classics I haven't expeirence like Legend of Dragoon, Grandia & Chrono Cross, so I am hoping to start tackling some of these games that I really should have played by now.

Also, I want to make more use of my Xbox One X than I did when I had my 360! While the XB1X is my secondary console to my PS5, there are still some experiences on it to which some games are better  - like Sonic Colours actually being in 4K over the PS4 version (Which I got for Xmas!) . I have had a 360 for a few years but barely played it, so I want to make sure I don't neglect the XB1X. I have already played Life Is Strange 2 which was a blast! I also intend to use the Game Pass month trial for £1 and knock out some smaller games I am interested in like Lake, 12 Minutes, The Medium & Last Stop.

On a side note, I have been working on a Fandom page for one of my all time favourite games - Shadow of Memories/ Shadow of Destiny. I put a lot of effort into it last year and want to polish it off even more this coming year! I've recently started reaching out to other websites and now have created a Youtube account to offer walkthrough videos and other little insightdul secrets you can explore with in the game. It's a wonderful experience and I don't want it to get lost in obscurity, so if can help increase it's online presence hopefully more people will recall what an intersting game it is:
Fandom Page - https://shadowofmemories.fandom.com/wiki/Shadow_of_Memories_Wiki
Youtube Page - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iu997K9_zHim6xtfmx-vw

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2021, 08:46:22 am »
My goals are pretty simple :

- Finish og xbox and 360 japanese sets and maybe wii u (not far off on either) but would be happy if i can finish either one get close to that goal by the end of 2022
- Maybe finish my japanese gamecube set if i feel like doing so, need around 35 games to complete it
- Get a xbox series x (and maybe a ps5) for normal retail price
- add another dreamcast, ps2 or gamecube limited edition console, also after the hatsuni mika ps vita. if i can add one next year i'll be happy with that

And probably the most important goal, start downsizing chunks off my collection, i've been meaning to get rid off entire sections of my collection meanly the limited run stuff and the pal stuff, atari jaguar can go. Must be roughly around 3000 games alltogether.
It's just so time consuming to take pictures, list it on ebay etc. Granted i pretty much will have to ship nearly everithing to different countries.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 08:48:04 am by kazumn »

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2021, 10:03:41 am »
Two goals this year, 1. Complete the 52 game challenge and 2. Don’t play WoW at all. Lol

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 01:12:33 am »
1. Play more games (Not that I haven't but just general goal thanks to the 52 game challenge)
2. Obtain games I have on my wishlist which leads to my next point...
3. Buy less on impulse (I was doing well until the holidays came but even then much better than years past)

So apparently 1 and 3 are goals I wrote for last year as resolutions so I guess these will become ongoing deals. That and

4. Less clutter: I also listed this in 2020 however I dont feel I did much of a good job. It's not that I obtained more things but rather I didnt get rid as much as I thought I would if not mostly because even though I did some cleaning, its kind of stagnated and then just stopped once I found employment. That said I feel like if I make effort year round to one by one find things to throw away or something then I should be good but who knows.

Edit: Last one I promise

5. This can be tied to my first point of play more games. For this one I would like to play through some of my sealed games. I noticed that there are few mostly on ps4 that have yet to be touched let alone actually opened since purchasing. I never intended on keeping them sealed, its just I never got around to doing so.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 10:35:03 pm by droaa »